Quantcast

Birds beak parer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody use them, or is it waste of money?
Impossible to sharpen?

Opinons wanted :)

Deckhand

Reaction score
I have a tojiro senkou bird's beak. I don't regret it. Everything thing I have read seems to be if you hate someone send them one to sharpen it.

Dusty

Reaction score
I buy the plastic handled five dollars victorinox ones, pretty much only ever use them to turn vegetables and replace instead of sharpen. But then, I don't own a ceramic rod which is the only way I'd try and sharpen one.

Last edited:

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I buy the plastic handled five dollars victorinox ones, pretty much only ever use them to turn vegetables and replace instead of sharpen. But then, I don't own a ceramic rod which is the only way I'd try and sharpen one.
+1 I use them to hull strawberries.

sachem allison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love mine, i use it to peel potatoes and carve wooden spoons. pain in the ass to sharpen, however someone here recommended a coffee can and some emery cloth, makes sense to me.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
I just use a 240 gyuto....

Candlejack

Reaction score
Well.. i have no problems sharpening them. But then, i am a heathen who uses a sharpmaker instead of stones..

Chifunda

Reaction score
We have a Wusthoff with a broken tip. Works really well for cutting the foil on wine bottles. No joke.

kazeryu

Reaction score
If you don't object to a convex bevel and losing your patina, the mousepad + sandpaper trick would probably work just fine to sharpen it up.

Personally I've never been clear on what function they serve.

Candlejack

Reaction score
If you don't object to a convex bevel and losing your patina, the mousepad + sandpaper trick would probably work just fine to sharpen it up.

Personally I've never been clear on what function they serve.
Tourneing potatoes for an example.

memorael

Reaction score
what exactly can a knife that isn't shaped like a birds beak do that other ones cant? I used to own the shun one and pretty much thought it was useless since I could do everything with the regular parer. Maybe that box with a ball inside thing? ->
[video=youtube;YGlRak6RbGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlRak6RbGA[/video]

Deckhand

Reaction score
Wow that was really cool. Puts my tournes,fluting mushrooms and my mushroom radishes to shame. I will try that.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I like that potato ball video...never seen that guy before but he is very funny and personable. I'll check out some of his other vids now.

MadMel

Reaction score
I use it quite often.. For turning carrots n potatoes n apples...

TB_London

Reaction score
i have a curved dmt stone i use for touch ups on knives with recurves like birds beaks doesnt give a great edge but its serviceable