Quantcast

Bird's beak parers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

MadMel

Reaction score
Does anyone still use them?? And how the heck do you sharpen them??

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Haha. I just asked this a few months ago. I use a ceramic rod and hope it never has a chip...

UglyJoe

Reaction score
I've sharpened one before on the edges of my stones. Actually not all that hard, but still annoying.

MadMel

Reaction score
Lol.. I'm asking cause I've just been asked to sharpen a co-workers bird's beak and have no idea where to begin lol

sachem allison

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone still use them?? And how the heck do you sharpen them??
haha! I was thinking of posting this exact question earlier today. I have a paring knife that I have used for years. I use it for peeling potatoes to carving wooden spoons. I can never easily sharpen the damn thing. there is always a section you miss. has anyone ever come up with a better way to sharpen them? Thanks for asking this question.

Citizen Snips

Reaction score
who is still turning veggies these days??

just kidding, the last place i worked we had to turn some stuff and i hated it. i just would buy a $3 piece of junk and throw it out after a month or two and just buy another. i feel the same way about serrated knives, just buy cheap and throw them out when they get dull

the good thing about the birds beaks is that because they dont touch the cutting board, they dont dull quickly

mc2442

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one I have is a cheap ceramic one....seems like a good mix of edge life and value.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
How about some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel? Dont need a full grit progression. Clamp the handle to the edge of table, then hold the dowel on each end and pull it along the edge.

Messy Jesse

Reaction score
I love birdsbeaks. One of my most used knives. I just buy cheap Victorinox ones and throw them once they dull... why would you try to sharpen one?

MadMel

Reaction score
I love birdsbeaks. One of my most used knives. I just buy cheap Victorinox ones and throw them once they dull... why would you try to sharpen one?
Cause they do not come sharp ootb?? I don't know cause I don't use them..

Cadillac J

Reaction score
I received a Tojiro bird's beak for free with a purchase long ago, and I use it to open up packaging, etc.

To sharpen, I taped wet/dry sandpaper to a rounded surface (I use a wide coffee can) and it works pretty well.

Latest posts