Black Friday deals?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teak is really Nice actually, and pretty much very durable. I’ll Take it over Any regular Ho or Chestnut or Walnut. It’s simple yet elegant.

Funny it would come down to discussing Teak. Yet another clue towards what I'm waiting for from Adam. :D

Dispersing any confusion, I'd sure not buy any Hatsukokoro I've ever seen so far.

Never had teak before but don't find it difficult to believe you looking at various Ho and Walnut experiences.

Case in hand the now famed, inhumanly bad Ho with Walnut ferrule made disgustingly abundant from Mazaki's use of them... I imagine folks like convulsively screaming and vomiting all day long where they make these.

Funny it would come down to discussing Teak. Yet another clue towards what I'm waiting for from Adam. :D

Dispersing any confusion, I'd sure not buy any Hatsukokoro I've ever seen so far.

Never had teak before but don't find it difficult to believe you looking at various Ho and Walnut experiences.

Case in hand the now famed, inhumanly bad Ho with Walnut ferrule made disgustingly abundant from Mazaki's use of them... I imagine folks like convulsively screaming and vomiting all day long where they make these.
Gosh that's a nightmare. I guess it must be for those Vegan **** head. The only Ho wood that I'm okay with is the one with Buffalo Horn.

Anyway, so are you getting another Yoshikane? or getting a Sukenari?

Ah I thought it would be readily identifiable right now, looking at my earlier mentioned avatar title saying "Incoming: HAP40" and the Teak reference.

Hence why I thought clearing Hatsukokoro from the possible suspects (Hayabusa line - HAP40 with teak handle) was crucial if from Adam.

I don't foresee buying no Yoshi ever again, although if a full 180mm SKD Nakiri I could be tempted. Or 50% off on a 210 K-tip perhaps.

But wait - that would conflict with the incoming knife from Adam. Think it will replace my sold Konosuke HD2 well with the 200mm edge and be even better in my use. :p

that handle and saya are pretty ugly, imo looks like something out of home depot.
As someone who owns one of those sayas and handles I can say the pictures don't do it justice. Both the handle and saya look significantly better and more luxurious than your standard Japanese yo-wood fare. The saya especially is notably more luxurious with the smooth bevels on the corners.

As someone who owns one of those sayas and handles I can say the pictures don't do it justice. Both the handle and saya look significantly better and more luxurious than your standard Japanese yo-wood fare. The saya especially is notably more luxurious with the smooth bevels on the corners.
can you hook us up with some pics?

Raining all day yesterday and 50 shades of grey today... looks like I won't be getting better lightning any time soon. Just pulled an older pic, but that doesn't do it justice either.

Compared to your standard ho wood I consider them a significant step up. The ho wood often comes dry as hell, and simply feels cheap - some even on the rough side. The ho wood sayas are usually fine but again, not much attention goes into sanding them smooth and bevelling corners.
It's mostly a difference in feel than in looks; the finish is much finer. They simply feel a lot nicer, smoother, etc. They also didn't come dry to the bone; I dunked them into oil out of habbit but it didn't make any difference in feel or color.

Compared to fancier darker woods like ebony, the problem is that those are often significantly larger, thereby bringing the balance further to the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_144750.jpg
    IMG_20210706_144750.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 52
Update because it's interesting... well, somewhat so... about Canadian shops.

Received SKS package on Wednesday (yesterday) as expected; however, the Sakon Ginga I ordered wasn't in the box with the Atoma and Arashiyama 6K I also ordered. Imagine the deception.... I wrote back to Gage laughingly, not expecting any problem: indeed, TWO minutes after sending my reporting of the knife missing along with a picture of the whole package (Wednesday afternoon), Gage sent me back a tracking number for the knife to follow along - now in transit and I guess will arrive on Monday - who knows, MAYBE tomorrow. Apparently they hired new hands for the packing and shipping and well I sort of fell in between. Not angry at all: we also sometimes drop the ball where I work. Humans aren't perfect. SKS is an amazing shop though! Just no question asked, popped a shipping notice for the missing item. I guess questions are mandatory if you've not bought like 4K of stuff with a shop and basically never complained - I don't know but in all cases SKS is THE shop where I can't foresee any trouble for even a new customer stuck in this situation. They will stand up to all their customers.

Meanwhile, today I got my order from Adam @ Cook's Edge. There was only one knife in that order, so aside from getting an empty box, there was not much risk of deception. Mind you it would have been (sort of) funny in its own way. Adam left a personal thank you note as usual, very professional. If you buy only stones you're liable to get a note from one of the sharpeners there instead. Superb shop too, can only say but the best things about service, they stand up to their customers and are always keen to answer questions... and they keep on getting more makers/series coming in (it's now quite a selection they try and maintain there), always with fair prices, and none too rarely some discounts too.

Chu Hamono... After three days without a sign besides my order confirmation on last Sunday, I sent them a note yesterday (Wednesday) evening saying that I was letting pass "today" (Thursday) and if on Friday morning I still had no sign of them, would dispute the payment through Paypal. What do you know, today I got a shipping notice. Now picked up by Canada Post, and expected delivery is next Wednesday. Usually, Canada Post are faster than their expected date where I live, so I'm expecting it on Tuesday - but luck could have it so that I'll get it on Monday too.

Won't ***** - from the webfront it's just obvious that Chu Hamono is a dying shop. Their CAD prices are somewhere in between fair and very good towards what they have left in stock, but do check up on them after 48 hours of silence. Don't think it's them being dishonest, rather they keep a loose track of things, I'd think because they rarely see any online order, let alone customers in their shop - wouldn't be surprised that the latter doesn't exist anymore.

I'd recommend SKS and Cook's Edge any day of the week, but Chu Hamono seems to be a bit risky among Canadian shops.

Of note that, as usual, Ai & Om didn't have any sale or BF event at all on the webfront - nor at any other time of a year it seems. I hope their storefront does real good - I've nothing but stellar stuff to say about the online service and extra courtesy I always got there, and Douglas is keen on answering questions with pics rather than words - often proving QUITE efficient for web shopping. It's just that from a Webfront end, they don't make sense beyond that and while more alive than Chu by FAR, stuff there indeed doesn't all move all that fast - but mind you they have so much stuff that some has got to move indeed. I'm thinking it's because they prioritize walking customers and make events only for the storefront perhaps. Which I can only approve in the end, and after all they got quite a bunch of money from me, so it speaks at least about them minding carrying some nice, "rarer" knives and (couple of) stones (in Canadian shops) with fair prices, and they stand up straight, answer fast and ship just as so.

Update because it's interesting... well, somewhat so... about Canadian shops.

Received SKS package on Wednesday (yesterday) as expected; however, the Sakon Ginga I ordered wasn't in the box with the Atoma and Arashiyama 6K I also ordered. Imagine the deception.... I wrote back to Gage laughingly, not expecting any problem: indeed, TWO minutes after sending my reporting of the knife missing along with a picture of the whole package (Wednesday afternoon), Gage sent me back a tracking number for the knife to follow along - now in transit and I guess will arrive on Monday - who knows, MAYBE tomorrow. Apparently they hired new hands for the packing and shipping and well I sort of fell in between. Not angry at all: we also sometimes drop the ball where I work. Humans aren't perfect. SKS is an amazing shop though! Just no question asked, popped a shipping notice for the missing item. I guess questions are mandatory if you've not bought like 4K of stuff with a shop and basically never complained - I don't know but in all cases SKS is THE shop where I can't foresee any trouble for even a new customer stuck in this situation. They will stand up to all their customers.

Meanwhile, today I got my order from Adam @ Cook's Edge. There was only one knife in that order, so aside from getting an empty box, there was not much risk of deception. Mind you it would have been (sort of) funny in its own way. Adam left a personal thank you note as usual, very professional. If you buy only stones you're liable to get a note from one of the sharpeners there instead. Superb shop too, can only say but the best things about service, they stand up to their customers and are always keen to answer questions... and they keep on getting more makers/series coming in (it's now quite a selection they try and maintain there), always with fair prices, and none too rarely some discounts too.

Chu Hamono... After three days without a sign besides my order confirmation on last Sunday, I sent them a note yesterday (Wednesday) evening saying that I was letting pass "today" (Thursday) and if on Friday morning I still had no sign of them, would dispute the payment through Paypal. What do you know, today I got a shipping notice. Now picked up by Canada Post, and expected delivery is next Wednesday. Usually, Canada Post are faster than their expected date where I live, so I'm expecting it on Tuesday - but luck could have it so that I'll get it on Monday too.

Won't ***** - from the webfront it's just obvious that Chu Hamono is a dying shop. Their CAD prices are somewhere in between fair and very good towards what they have left in stock, but do check up on them after 48 hours of silence. Don't think it's them being dishonest, rather they keep a loose track of things, I'd think because they rarely see any online order, let alone customers in their shop - wouldn't be surprised that the latter doesn't exist anymore.

I'd recommend SKS and Cook's Edge any day of the week, but Chu Hamono seems to be a bit risky among Canadian shops.

Of note that, as usual, Ai & Om didn't have any sale or BF event at all on the webfront - nor at any other time of a year it seems. I hope their storefront does real good - I've nothing but stellar stuff to say about the online service and extra courtesy I always got there, and Douglas is keen on answering questions with pics rather than words - often proving QUITE efficient for web shopping. It's just that from a Webfront end, they don't make sense beyond that and while more alive than Chu by FAR, stuff there indeed doesn't all move all that fast - but mind you they have so much stuff that some has got to move indeed. I'm thinking it's because they prioritize walking customers and make events only for the storefront perhaps. Which I can only approve in the end, and after all they got quite a bunch of money from me, so it speaks at least about them minding carrying some nice, "rarer" knives and (couple of) stones (in Canadian shops) with fair prices, and they stand up straight, answer fast and ship just as so.

Last year I won a bunka from Gage at Sharp Knife Shop but I was accidentally sent a sharpening stone. It was free and I was still appreciative but in my job I'm used to strict inventory control so I just sent him a head's up email. I had no intention of getting the bunka but by the end of the day I had an email apologizing for the mix up and a shipping notice for the bunka. I offered to return the stone on my dime but he declined. Great people!

You got me curious so I looked into Chu Hamono. They do not list a physical address on their site but a quick search turned one up. A check of that on Google Maps shows a house. A pretty nice house in a pretty nice neighborhood by the looks of it.

Yeah they are. Gage put speed enough into sending me the missing knife pronto that finally I'll get it today.

Funny about Chu Hamono. I wouldn't have thought to verify that. They have their main picture that's made to look like the bay window of a storefront... Ah well!

Back