Blackwood Hurts!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JWhite makes a very good point. Wood isn't just the only "Bad" thing we grind. Micarta, G-10, any man made composite, as well as horn and the glues we use that we grind thru are all very hazardous to our lungs!!!!

God Bless
Mike

JWhite makes a very good point. Wood isn't just the only "Bad" thing we grind. Micarta, G-10, any man made composite, as well as horn and the glues we use that we grind thru are all very hazardous to our lungs!!!!

God Bless
Mike

Haha, true. Clean air is what intended for lungs, nothing else (not even tobacco smoke :) )

On a few occasions in the past when I ground buffalo horn without a mask, I developed an itch in my throat, that took hours of hawking and spitting (excuse me) to clear. If I were to grind without a mask, I would take blackwood over horn any time.

M

G-10 has the added problem of being made of glass.

God Bless
Mike

Yikes! G-10 DOES NOT sound like fun!
It reminds me of when my Sher-Wood Feartherlite hockey stick snapped in half on me. The thing was about 50% fiberglass, and I had these little glass slivers on my wrists and parts of my hands for about a month!

So, I fixed my sander and it BROKE AGAIN!!!
I picked up a nice little 1x30" unit. It will actually make my life easier, because of the huge amount of grits available, and even a really nice leather belt for final polish on blade I rework! I'm really excited to give it a try tomorrow, before work!

Don't skip that 15micron sharpening belt from Lee Valley. I'm seriously impressed with that thing on less fussy steel. I have a folder in 154cm and it's doing wonders on it.

So, I fixed my sander and it BROKE AGAIN!!!
I picked up a nice little 1x30" unit. It will actually make my life easier, because of the huge amount of grits available, and even a really nice leather belt for final polish on blade I rework! I'm really excited to give it a try tomorrow, before work!

I'm really interested in what you think of it, I was thinking of one primarily for scale/handle work and perhaps smaller blade profiling or final surface work. It still feels unnatural for me to sharpen on anything but stone.

So far so good with the sander. It's responsive, versatile and pretty quiet. However, I think I need an extended platen. I like the fact that I don't always have to use it, however, I'd love to have a 6" x 1" platen, with a 90* bend to affix to the unit itself when aiming for "dead flat".
This might sound ridiculous, but would anybody be interested in making me one? I don't have the tools, or much spare time coming up. I can drill the holes to make everything fit, though.
Let me know!
Thanks guys.

Back