Blade Show June 2019

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went a few years ago. My guestimate is that 1 in 20 booths had serious kitchen knives. The "outdoor" and EDC makers made up the majority. Murray was there but on break. I had just bought a nakiri from him via his website so stopped a few times. And importantly the "booth girls" from Spyder were the best.

Very excellent Japanese restaurant there about a mile from the facility. It would take some digging but if interested I'll try and find it.

Tansu, Spake, Fowler, and some traditional Japanese makers that are not well known around here have all been there in the past. I will be attending this year as well.

I will be there as I work 5 minutes away.....I used to be the Italian restaurant chef there at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel that's connected to the convention center for years so been to the show many times. As for makers there has usually been quite a few in the recent years.
From the list I have seen so far (Disclaimer, not all are handmade custom makers) but here they are:

• Apogee Culinary designs
  • Big Chris Custom knives
  • Bill Burke
  • David Broadwell, you have to see his level of F/F
  • Byington blades.....no knives but in my opinion the best heat treatment service in the US, awesome customer service.
  • Cape Cod Cutlery
  • Carter Cutlery
  • Doberman Forge
  • Dogwood Custom Knives
  • Dragon's Breath Forge
  • Faneema Cutlery
  • K.H. Daily knives
  • Sakae Forge if you want a really nice samurai sword
  • Shinji Ikeda
  • Shosui Takeda
  • Tansu
That's all that I can think of looking through the exhibitor list, I'm sure I missed a few great makers that occasionally do kitchen cutlery.

Enjoy the show, It is a quite an experience.

I went last year and met mert, came home with a SC 125 honyaki that is easily one of my favorite knives. I wish i was going this year, but im 4 months into a new bussiness and so broke that i can barely hang on to the knifes i got. Hopefully, next year.

I will be at table 19h , would love to meet other forum members. There are only few kitchen knife makers in the show but many makers are dabbling into this field
Some of the craftsmanship in abs mastersmiths section is crazy good

I went a few years ago. My guestimate is that 1 in 20 booths had serious kitchen knives. The "outdoor" and EDC makers made up the majority. Murray was there but on break. I had just bought a nakiri from him via his website so stopped a few times. And importantly the "booth girls" from Spyder were the best.

Very excellent Japanese restaurant there about a mile from the facility. It would take some digging but if interested I'll try and find it.

Thank you for the info!

I will sure to check out the Spyderco booth.

I will be there as I work 5 minutes away.....I used to be the Italian restaurant chef there at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel that's connected to the convention center for years so been to the show many times. As for makers there has usually been quite a few in the recent years.
From the list I have seen so far (Disclaimer, not all are handmade custom makers) but here they are:

• Apogee Culinary designs
  • Big Chris Custom knives
  • Bill Burke
  • David Broadwell, you have to see his level of F/F
  • Byington blades.....no knives but in my opinion the best heat treatment service in the US, awesome customer service.
  • Cape Cod Cutlery
  • Carter Cutlery
  • Doberman Forge
  • Dogwood Custom Knives
  • Dragon's Breath Forge
  • Faneema Cutlery
  • K.H. Daily knives
  • Sakae Forge if you want a really nice samurai sword
  • Shinji Ikeda
  • Shosui Takeda
  • Tansu
That's all that I can think of looking through the exhibitor list, I'm sure I missed a few great makers that occasionally do kitchen cutlery.

Enjoy the show, It is a quite an experience.

Thanks for the info!

Got the Tansu I was after! Doing the Snoopy happy dance!

Here is the Tansu I picked up. Thanks Mert.

250mm x 60mm. V2
20190608_085430.jpeg
20190608_085438.jpeg
20190608_085617.jpeg

Attachments

• 20190608_085154.jpeg
    20190608_085154.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 74
These knives are from Takeshi Iwai. His style is really heavy spines ground to a thin edge using blue 2 and blue super. I picked up a 150 magaki petty in blue 2. Some of his single bevel knives can be purchased from knifemerchant. Others can be ordered direct. If the tips of his gyutos were a bit thinner, I would have definitely picked one up.
20190607_143914.jpeg
20190607_144336.jpeg
20190607_143905.jpeg
20190607_143853.jpeg

These knives are from Takeshi Iwai. His style is really heavy spines ground to a thin edge using blue 2 and blue super. I picked up a 150 magaki petty in blue 2. Some of his single bevel knives can be purchased from knifemerchant. Others can be ordered direct. If the tips of his gyutos were a bit thinner, I would have definitely picked one up. View attachment 54487View attachment 54488View attachment 54489View attachment 54490

Missed that guy entirely. On the list for next year.

Missed that guy entirely. On the list for next year.
You should definitely check him out. Fit and finish is top tier and prices are reasonable. There was a bit of a language barrier, but the blacksmith was in the booth and I was able to talk to him a bit. He has been at the show for at least 2 years and I hope to see him again next year.

Back