Blade Show West Kitchen Knife Cutting Contest

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone hear how that cutting contest went last night? I wasn't willing to stay late and then try to find some warehouse across the river. Ethan Becker (one of the judges) also would not give me any hints on what they were going to require of the knives. His lips were sealed! :)

Looks like Carter won the cutting competition. Don't know which knife or what the competition was. Would be great to find out details.

But the Spyderco/Carter knives suck huh? :) I can tell you at least 25-30 years ago Ethan and I used to compete for first dibs on the Carter knives Murray brought over from Japan. And I've spent time in the kitchen next to Ethan cooking with a Carter so I know he likes those blades.

My first Japanese kitchen knife was a Carter I bought from him at Pasadena knife show. I don't know if Spyderco/Carter suck or not, I had high hopes for it, they might still be good. I also don't know which knife won or what the competition was. The Instagram blurb made it sound like his apprentice bladesmith's participated too and lost. If Spyderco/Carter won over Carter muteki line that would be very interesting. In any case without knowing the details....congrats to Carter, but doesn't tell us anything really.

Last edited:
Competitors...

Murray Carter - Knifemaker

Mareko Maumasi - Knifemaker

Kolter Livengood - Chef

Ted Thompson - Knifemaker

Gabriel Bell = Knifemaker

Brad Larkin - Knifemaker

Alex Horn - Knifemaker

Michael Buholz - Chef

Josh Navarrete - Knifemaker

Taylor Shields - Knifemaker

Andy Crowley - Chef

Benjamin Louchious - Chef

Les Oehme - Chef

Morgan Owen - Knifemaker

Mike Poor - Knifemaker

Nick Bell - Chef

Ryan Caballo - Knifemaker

Shawn Houston - Knifemaker

Davide Santini - Chef

First round was onion: cut in half widthwise, peel, take five full round intact slices in one minute, then dice the remainder in 45 seconds. Smallest consistent dice was one goal; slice judging criteria was unclear. They ran out of onions and substituted tomatoes for some contestants.

Second round was julienning a ~4" section of zucchini in two minutes, aiming for smallest julienne.

Third round was cutting chives in 45(?) seconds, aiming for thinnest full sections.

Not all competitors got to make each cut - some were eliminated in each round, rather than using cumulative scores.

There were tomatoes and lemons present, but neither were used except as onion substitutes.

Work surfaces were poly boards on folding tables. Several competitors appeared to have difficulty with the slipperiness of the boards.

Murray used his "perfect kitchen knife" rather than a Spyderco. He gave it away after winning.

Great info, thank you very much.

Not taking anything away from the participants or winners, but from the description not exactly a very comprehensive test of chef knive's cutting ability or performance.

Was there multiple winners? I saw also cheflivengood announce he won, and carter too? Edit: Ah two classes chef and maker

Sounds like the SF World Spirits Competition, where it seems that almost everyone who enters gets some award or recognition or gold medal.

Back