Blues - Fujiwara Denka vs takada vs hitohiro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically this, the only reason I sometimes join this discussion is because beginners read these threads for information.

I’ve no issue recommending a TF denka, Kato or other pricey knife to a first time J-knife buyer—provided they go into it with eyes wide open. If they have the funds and wanna jump the queue of ‘intro knives’ then all power to them. Different trajectories for different knife buyers. No harm in learning how to sharpen, chipping and tipping a Kato—it’s their money, their knife journey. Think a Kono Fujiyama was the 2nd j-knife I bought, no regrets.

I’ve no issue recommending a TF denka, Kato or other pricey knife to a first time J-knife buyer—provided they go into it with eyes wide open. If they have the funds and wanna jump the queue of ‘intro knives’ then all power to them. Different trajectories for different knife buyers. No harm in learning how to sharpen, chipping and tipping a Kato—it’s their money, their knife journey. Think a Kono Fujiyama was the 2nd j-knife I bought, no regrets.

I actually very much agree with you, it's just that for me I dont think a Kato seriously outperforms all other knives, and I dont even think a TF is a better knife than most knives.

at least when someone buys a Kato, they get (IMO) a best in class knife. well once you put a reasonable handle on it anyway. I know some people consider TF to be best in class but I simply do not agree.

I know some people consider TF to be best in class but I simply do not agree.
Everyone is welcome to their opinion but many disagree. Personally I do think they are best in class for rustic, in-house forged, performance focused, artisanal handmade blades with an interesting back story. Look at how many actually end up on BST. Very few.

I actually very much agree with you, it's just that for me I dont think a Kato seriously outperforms all other knives, and I dont even think a TF is a better knife than most knives.

at least when someone buys a Kato, they get (IMO) a best in class knife. well once you put a reasonable handle on it anyway. I know some people consider TF to be best in class but I simply do not agree.

Agree. Think is depends on the user, and their preferences, I know some that dislike the performance of denkas, katos, shigs, and other's who're fans. With a denka, a 240mm gyuto costs about $850—there're a huge range of excellent knives at and below that price range depending on what the buyer wants—but devotees would argue that there's nothing like a denka, a great performer and worth every penny. Bang-for-buck probably not a concern if they're considering a denka or kato—performance not the primary objective for some buyers; some would rather have a trendy, collectible piece of kitchen bling than a best-in-class-performer, which is fine. Great thing about a denka, is that if buyer hates it, they can easily sell it. TBH, for most neophyte J-knife buyers, I usually just recommend Gesshin Stainless, Misono or Mac.

Sorry to OP for veering off topic. What have you decided?

I started out like many here being taken aback by the apparent fit and finish/QC issues - questioning how can the knives with such “issues” have the price tags that they do. That said, I remained intrigued, telling myself that there must be something to them. After all, they continue to be sought after. And so with that, I took the plunge.
I have to say my only regret is not jumping in sooner. Social media, forums have a tendency to amplify issues or problems to the point that they are out of proportion.
All said and done, TFs are still sought after and there are many happy owners out there. Just on this thread alone I can see them. As @Barmoley said most accurately and he isn’t the only one, those “issues” never get in the way of performance. They cut and hold their edge like nothing else.
TFs work for me because I only look at sharpness and retention. It’s a knife after all no? A tool. So all the so-called “issues” don’t bother me. I don’t ease choils or spines, nor fill in gaps between the tang and the scales etc, etc. I just use them. And boy, do they cut well.
Another happy TF owner here. Progressed from Nashiji to Denka. Enjoy every second cutting or sharpening.

If you are looking to get the Takada no Hamono B2 Suiboku also have a look at the Hitohira Kikuchiyo Yohei 240mm Aogami2. *Dead link is redirected to 2x Tanaka Yohei 240mm, both sold out*

The only difference between those two is the finish which reflects upon the pricing and also the specs on paper are just a tad bit thicker (0.03mm) than the Suiboku since you're after something that's not a laser.

Both are the same steel forged by the same person. Shiraki = Nakagawa = Kikuchiyo along with it being sharpened/finished by the same person. Takada no Hamono = Yohei.

Strongly endorse this blade. Wish I had gotten one with this finish.

Thanks for the push fellas. My first "good" knife. Here's a pic for some closure...

nakagawatakada240realtonyrex.JPG

The magnetic single stand was made out of scrap timber by yours truly. I'll post the DIY steps on another thread if anyone is interested...

Back