BNIB knives??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
I see lots of knives in the shopping section labelled as BNIB. brand new in box.

So i started thinking. Don't people actually use their knives?? why even get these knives if you don't intend to use them?
I get that some knives are expensive and nice and collectors knives. But never ever using them at all? really?

how many have knives that you have never ever used, not even once?

I have 0 of those. I do however have some knives that i keep around mostly as functional art i guess. since they are too fragile for my technique. but i have used them to find this out of course.

I have two. One was purchased specifically to use as trade bait with collectors. The other isn't quite to my preferred profile and overlaps with many of the knives I do use on a daily basis. Still undecided if I will sell it, hence wishing to keep it pristine and BNIB.

I have two. One was purchased specifically to use as trade bait with collectors. The other isn't quite to my preferred profile and overlaps with many of the knives I do use on a daily basis. Still undecided if I will sell it, hence wishing to keep it pristine and BNIB.

trade bait with collectors lol hahaha

Very good point ! for me kitchenknifes are tools and nothing to speculate with...

The main problem is, and i understand that point! Knifes that are so overpriced like kato, shigefusa and Jiro nowadays ... Use them ? because the value is in no point comparable to the function, prices rise and rise...... But we should be a community and be as true to ourselfes as it is possible, so no price tags in BST anymore... We should boykott the dealers that do this price increases!

We should boykott any overpriced BST offers!

We should stay honest! Not hyping this or that!

And if we do, at some point we as the actual buyers can maybe can reach the point where we can get knifes at worthy prices!

Greets Sebastian.

You're ignoring the fact that there are many different reasons why people buy knives? We've all heard of car collectors who just park them in the garage/warehouse and never drive them. Sacrilege to some maybe but to that collector perfectly reasonable. Same goes for knives. Who are we to pontificate and question their motives.

I'm guilty of this sometimes. For me, its that I make a lot of impulse purchases, and I buy so many different knives that sometimes I never end up using a particular knife. Sometimes when I have it in person I discover that the profile isn't quite right for me, or the height, or the weight. Having the knife in my hand I very quickly can determine if it feels right and is going to be a keeper for me, or if I will sell it and move on to the next.

Apart from one little (115mm blade) Jin knife from Jon which I got as a piece of history, I have never bought a knife without the intention of using it. For me collecting something without getting any intended use out of it is a kind of primitive behavior where one gets pleasure just by possessing things. People who buy things with intention to sell (sooner or later) are basically private entities doing business.

Last edited:
I intend to use every knife I buy but every knife I buy doesn’t get “used” the same. I have my preferences in knives ... the ones I reach for when I’m pressed or in a hurry. They stay in a non-rotating block in my kitchen. I have a “rotating” block that holds knives that I will use or try when I’m not so pressed for results. Generally I try to keep a knife in the rotating block for at least a month and use it whenever I can. Occasionally I will find a knife that I like so much that it will displace a knife in my non-rotating block. Most recently this happened when a med-tall Nakiri displaced a 220mm gyuto in my non rotating block. I try to use every knife I buy within a few days of receiving it. Sort of a “welcome to the family” celebration. I’ll use this occasion for a pic for the “New Knife” Forum. Then I’ll put the knife away in its original packaging to await its turn in the non rotating block. Knives that have had their turn in the non-rotating block similarly get put away in their packaging and stored. I also have a small block of knives which guests are welcome to use when they are “helping” me in the kitchen. These are generally robust stainless steel knives. They are probably the best knife my guests will have ever used ... certainly the sharpest! But not the fully reactive blades that I prefer to use myself. I also have two drawer “blocks” that containing two categories of knives. The first are the specialty knives that I need for specific purposes. Deba’s and filleting knives for filleting fish, a couple of Victorinox knives that are practically indestructible that I use for dissembling primals or when bones might be present, a couple of Wustoff’s that I use for semi frozen product and a number of cheap paring knives. The second drawer block contains “show off” knives that I use for special occasions as well as two “Kramer’s” to answer the inevitable question from guests ... “do you have a Kramer” ? As I often cook for friends I have a couple of “knife rolls”. A small roll which I always have with me when I go to friends and might be asked to assist. ... Ask Brian ... he knows how to carve a turkey ... I despise dull knives ... did I say that with enough emphasis I DESPISE DULL KNIVES! ... so I always bring my own. My ever favourite Anryu 240 Damascus Guyto, a 240 or 270 sujihiki, a honesceki, a 180 petty and a couple of cheap paring knives. I also have a large roll which I take when I am expected to cook for a larger group. It contains all of the contents that are in my small roll plus others and a couple of Wustoff’s that I can let others use who want to “help”. Again they will probably be the best knives my helpers have ever used but generally impervious to damage or at least easily repaired. Maybe 12 to 15 knives in total with the ones I use coming from my rotating block or recent exits from my permanent block. It also contains a Kramer to answer the inevitable question ... “do you have a Kramer” . It also contains “cheffy” things like disposable gloves, an armoured glove, steel, tsubaki oil, a good set of tongs and a fish scaler. So what does that leave? Well there’s a box of knives in their packing that has yet to make it to my rotating block. In addition a box of knives that has come from my rotating block but don’t reside in my drawer block or travelling rolls.

So ... in all how many knives do I have? I honestly couldn’t tell you. One thing, though, is that I don’t sell my knives or stones ... don’t get me started on that. I do give the odd knife away ... sort of “I like you so much I’ll let you adopt one of my children” ... and only with the promise that the knife will be returned to me regularly for sharpening ... AND with the promise that the gift knife will never be used on a steel “Gordon Ramsay” like leaping and thrashing the edge of the blade against the steel like a mad man .

What about speculation? As a businessman and investor I can’t help but observe that demand for craft knives is growing greater than supply. You could probably assemble the number of knife makers who can skillfully forge weld a blade in the whole world into one relatively small room. Masters who can produce a flawless water quenched honyaki’s would only require a small walk in closet. The ranks of masters are declining every year. How many Murray Carters can you name? Have you seen a picture of all of the makers at the Takefu village? .... I regularly cook for dinner parties more numerous than that. In my opinion the price of craft knives is inexorably headed upwards. In my view a knife collection is a steadily increasing asset.

Sorry for ranting about all of this but as you can see it’s one of my passions and wonderful assets. My answer to BNIB knives ... it’s not a simple question, but where else can you invest in a steadily increasing asset that gives you so much pleasure. Be clear, though, by “investing” I mean long term, I do not mean flipping.

Last edited:
I use most. But I'm also impulsive. For example, years ago the original Gengetsu knives were the rage, and Jon quickly sold out. I love my original. Years later I saw a new knife here, on B/S/T, and I bought it instantly. I didn't take the time to learn they had changed over time etc. So it sat, unused. I can think of several other impulse examples.

What about speculation? As a businessman and investor I can’t help but observe that demand for craft knives is growing greater than supply.

I was under the impression (based on nothing) that the number of craftsmen /women and the overall supply were rising to meet the growing demand (much as has happened in the last decade with 'craft' cast iron). Is this not the case, and/or is it just a matter of any growing supply not meeting the growing demand? Is the quality of the craft, and the skill of craftsmen / women, no longer what it used to be?

I use most. But I'm also impulsive. For example, years ago the original Gengetsu knives were the rage, and Jon quickly sold out. I love my original. Years later I saw a new knife here, on B/S/T, and I bought it instantly. I didn't take the time to learn they had changed over time etc. So it sat, unused. I can think of several other impulse examples.

The upside of that perceived impulsivity was that you were able to snag the original before it caught on with everyone else! #earlyadopter #blink

I'm so disappointed anytime I see folks ruining the art I make. They scratch and oxidize them, and tell me how they enjoy it. The worst :mad:
Bastards, if I were you Robin I would ban these evil people from buying your stuff, how dare they. I bet they also every once in a while blunt your perfectly created edges too....

I always intend to use the knives I buy, but it seems that when it rains it pours and I tend to buy multiple knives at the same time. I don't know why or how it happens, but it does. I am not a pro, so there is only so much time I have to use a knife and when multiple come it is pretty clear which I like, so some don't get used. Besides, sometimes a knife arrives and I can tell right away that it won't work for me, no reflection on the knife at all, but just not for me too large, too small, too light, too heavy, too tall, balance wrong, profile wrong, etc There is no way to tell some of these things from the pictures and with some knives that are scares or popular no time to ask, happened to me recently while I was asking for specs the knife got sold, happens sometimes.

Sumo ... I agree with you. Absolute numbers of craftspeople may well be increasing. How that matches up with interest in craft knives, and population growth is the question that affects supply and demand. I look to the growth of “factory made” faux craft knives as an indication that supply is not meeting demand. Dalstrong, Zwilling and many others. Are these “craft” knives. Some are made in factories located in Japan. Others in China. They are very good knives but in my opinion they are not “craft” knives. Will demand shift at least in part from factory made knives to craft knives. I think so and I think over time demand will exceed supply and the price of craft knives will increase. But like you I have an “opinion” based really on nothing.

Sumo ... I agree with you. Absolute numbers of craftspeople may well be increasing. How that matches up with interest in craft knives, and population growth is the question that affects supply and demand. I look to the growth of “factory made” faux craft knives as an indication that supply is not meeting demand. Dalstrong, Zwilling and many others. Are these “craft” knives. Some are made in factories located in Japan. Others in China. They are very good knives but in my opinion they are not “craft” knives. Will demand shift at least in part from factory made knives to craft knives. I think so and I think over time demand will exceed supply and the price of craft knives will increase. But like you I have an “opinion” based really on nothing.

Interesting. The pattern you've noted with the mass marketization / factorization of craft knives seems to describe many product lines. Take as one example organic, homegrown food. Once organic food caught on, the mainstream mega-food companies started buying up all the local producers and taking it in-house as well. That has led, IMO, to a regrettable dilution of high quality, truly local organic food. Now, it's tough to source even if you were willing to pay a premium for it.

Exactly ... a perfect parallel. Now I have to either grow it myself or go direct to a declining number of growers that I trust to buy it. Same thing with craft knives. I haven’t even started to discuss the role and use of pre-laminated steels or apprentice made knives marketed under the masters name. Are these “craft” knives. How will they affect future prices of forge welded craftsman made knives. Interesting.

I have nothing unused in my home. Whether “valued” at $200 or $2,000, I like to use knives. That being said, I have sold off very high-profile knives that would have been priced way higher and attracted a different crowd if they weren’t used. But, conversely, I wouldn’t know they weren’t my cup of tea if I didn’t spend time with them in the kitchen.

daveb ... I agree with you totally. As a matter of fact I have a Myabi Black santoku in my non-rotating block. Would I consider it to be a craft knife ... no way! BUT all the rest of my knives in my non rotating block are fully reactive. I use them and immediately clean, dry and put them away even if I’m going to use them again in 10 seconds. Occasionally I have a need for a sharp knife in the middle of serving. Then I reach for the Myabi Black. It’s a ZDP 189 knife, takes and holds an excellent edge and is reasonably well balanced ... AND ... won’t rust if it doesn’t get cleaned and dried while my guests and me have dinner. Similarly I have a Dalstrong in my large roll. It’s a very serviceable filleting knife. At home I use a reactive single edged deba for filleting but I’m pretty awkward with it. On the road the Dalstrong works pretty well with the added benefit that I can lend it to a friend to fillet a salmon while I cook. I could go on ... I have several Wustoff’s. They are almost indestructible, won’t rust and are in my opinion perfect for semi frozen foods or foods where I might run into bones. Ditto for the Victorinox knives I own and occasionally use. By those metrics I find those factory made knives acceptable to use. Generally the metric is that their use saves much more expensive craft knives that are endangered by the application. Ditto on my boat. I much prefer fully reactive blades. Stainless knives are much less attractive to me than reactive blades. I have this underlying feeling that stainless clad knives made from pre-laminated steel blanks are a step back from the craft knives that I prefer. BUT ... on my boat I have and use stainless knives. The salt water environment is much harder on reactive blades. By that metric of use a stainless blade is preferable. Were I to bring one of my fully reactive treasures onboard my boat I wouldn’t be able to sleep a night at anchor.

I have nothing unused in my home. Whether “valued” at $200 or $2,000, I like to use knives. That being said, I have sold off very high-profile knives that would have been priced way higher and attracted a different crowd if they weren’t used. But, conversely, I wouldn’t know they weren’t my cup of tea if I didn’t spend time with them in the kitchen.

this post is inferno approved!

I like expensive stuff myself. i rather buy 1 expensive good thing than 10 so-so things myself. i like quality.

I like spending money on good stuff plain and simple, and i make god damn sure i buy really good stuff when i actually buy stuff i care about. i want the best stuff on the planet. easy as that.

and all of these expensive things that i buy i use the **** out of. and i like it, the "stuff" likes it too. thats what i pay a premium for right, better function and longer lifetime. I have no trailer/drawer/safe queens. thats just money wasted imo, could just as well spend it on hookers & blow then. hookers & blow guys, thats where the action's at :)

Meh--I have always been the type read my comics(manga). What I mean to say is that growing up I had friends who would never open their toys/comics etc but rather put them in a box/shelf and store them away etc. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. The first thing I do when I get a new knife is use it. The second thing I do is put my own edge on it. But to each their own.

The first thing I do when I get a new knife is use it. The second thing I do is put my own edge on it.

Seconded, except that for some of the lower priced knives that may have a factory buffed edge I sharpen first. Used a new knife that either had a dull spot or a weak edge, cut myself pretty nastily. But I buy them to use and to cut; their performance is their value to me.

All the knives I've got I bought them because I "desperately" needed to use them, so I really can't relate to those BNIB guys. As soon as I get a knife I start cutting everything is sight just to try it.

That said, there is money to be gained from trading knives from certain artisans. I don't like it because I believe that just raises the price of knives making it impossible for others to get them and give them their intended use. But, in the end, it's a free world.

I know a guy who has many BNIB knives on his shelf and doesn’t touch them, kato shigs you name it.
For some odd reason he uses a TF m, go figure.

I have a lot of knives BNIB lol; I have a system base on my own personal skill level, I approach the knives within the same price range, so I don’t screw up the knife lol.

I started only using knives below the 400usd range and slowly moving up to 1k range now.

My thought is that ppl can only move up not down; so if my first knife is so perfect, it limits my willingness to try new knives.

Back