• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD BNIB Yoshikane Amekiri SKD 240 - $315 > $300 (DROP)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hump Day Bump and price drop to $300 shipped CONUS!

Selling this BNIB Yoshikane Amekiri SKD 240 from K&S NY. Purchased just a couple of weeks ago when I was exploring Sanjo gyutos. Decided to stick with my gengetsu because I like a knife that's a bit shorter and lighter.

Paid $338 + tax and shipping, for $358.89 total. I will let this go for $315 $300, shipped CONUS. PP G&S only, I eat the PayPal fee.

Measurements from K&S:

Knife: Yoshikane Amekiri 240 wa-gyuto
Weight: 193g
Length: 245mm
Height : 50mm
Width of Spine above Heel: 3.8mm
Width of Spine at Middle: 1.6mm
Width of Spine 1cm from the Tip: 0.60mm
Core steel: SKD semi-stainless (63 HRC)
Cladding: Stainless
Finish: Nashiji
Handle: Ebony with horn

Because the knife is brand new in box, has not cut a thing, and is in the exact same condition as when I received it from K&S just a couple weeks ago, I am beginning with the stock photos from the K&S website (they're much better than anything I could take). I'm including additional photos below that I took with my crappy cell phone. Sorry, best I got for pictures!

5-Yoshi-stock-right.jpg

6-Yoshi-stock-right.jpg

7-Yoshi-stock-right.jpg

8-Yoshi-stock-handle.jpg

9-Yoshi-stock-leftside.jpg

10-Yoshi-stock-choil.jpg

1-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-right.png

2-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-left.png

3-Yoshikane-Amekiri-240-choil.png

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Your photos are at least as good as the stock ones!
Might be an optical illusion, but I also think your choil shot makes the knife look more symmetrically ground than the stock photo -- on your choil, it looks like the taper down from the spine is really similar on both sides, while its noticably steeper on the right side of the stock choil

Wish I had the money for this! GLWS

Your photos are at least as good as the stock ones!
Might be an optical illusion, but I also think your choil shot makes the knife look more symmetrically ground than the stock photo -- on your choil, it looks like the taper down from the spine is really similar on both sides, while its noticably steeper on the right side of the stock choil

Wish I had the money for this! GLWS

Thanks for the kind words about the knife and pics. I would think that any difference in the way the choil appears is because of light and shadow at the time that the photo was taken. Also, there is a chance (I am not sure, come to think of it) that my cell phone camera might flip (reverse) photos . . . anyway I would just go with the stock photos because they're bound to be better/more accurate :)

Just want to say that I picked one of these up recently and have really been in love. Excellent performers and the steel is great. Beautiful knives with excellent fit and finish, to boot. Frankly I think it will be very hard to find a better all around knife for the price.

GLWS

I was looking for the same answer a while back when I bought SKD, here are some of the notes .. take it with some salt as it's 3rd hand:
- Yoshikane SLD is Hitachi product, SKD-11 is a standard name, almost-stainless, used on black damascus line, excellent heat treat.
- Yoshikane SKD are SKD-12, close to A2 standard, semi-stainless, used on hammer finished line, pretty great heat treat.

I have the white variant and food release is quite good, much better than one would expect from the thin edge.

I'm counting my nickels - do love what Yoshi does with SKD.

been eyeing this one so hard...how's the food release on this bad boy?

Wish I knew, but it's BNIB and I never cut with it. From eyeing it, I would guess good but no miracles. It's still a relatively thin convex grind, although it does have an aggressive taper so the grind does fill out a bit as you go up the blade road, so that will make for better food release. Just don't expect like wide bevel-style food release.

Some folks in this thread own an amekiri and can speak to this better than I can. Thanks gents for adding your thoughts 👍

Mods: this one is still "sold" but I've run into potential difficulties with shipping it to the buyer in Canada, given current shipping restrictions. I'm going to do my best to solve the problem and reach a solution with the buyer, but please leave this thread open in case we are not able to come up with a mutually agreeable solution. I will give final word here when the transaction is complete!

Can do. FWIW I've shipped one to Canada and one to Europe since Covid and both went without event. This week I'll be shipping a stone to the great white north and hopefully it will be easy as well.

Can do. FWIW I've shipped one to Canada and one to Europe since Covid and both went without event. This week I'll be shipping a stone to the great white north and hopefully it will be easy as well.

@daveb can I ask what carrier you used? When I went to FedEx today they told me that many (most) FedEx ground shipments from the US are being turned away by Canadian customs, or are just spending months in line at the border. They said that FedEx Express air delivery is still pretty reliable right now, but that it would cost $93 to ship from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. Crazy!! 😬

I just looked into shipping from Northern WA (Whidbey Island) to Vancouver this morning and after talking to my local PO, I decided on USPS at around $55. (Given, I’ve had some bad experiences with USPS lately, but all of the recent stuff I’ve shipped out has arrived without problem.)

As a Canadian, since March I've received stuff USPS, FedEx Express and UPS, Royal Mail, PostNL. The only major delay was the Royal Mail one which spent three weeks in Canadian Customs but this was admittedly as the lockdowns started. The rest have come across the border without any issues. I've had more issues with USPS/customs shipping out than coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back