Boning knife recommendations!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was semi-regularly breaking down halves of pigs some years ago, I mostly used a Misono Sweden Steel hankotsu. For me, the only downside was that I struggled to get a durable edge on it and didn't feel like I should use a honing rod. So really a skill issue related to the asymmetry rather than a knife defect. The Munetoshi avoids that, which is maybe more of a benefit in terms of maintenance for us mediocre sharpeners rather than performance in the hands of an expert. I would definitely take a close look at the upswept tip and think on whether you prefer that or a flatter tip profile like in most hankotsu.

Sakai 210 SS or stainless petty.. (Suisin, Ashi, Kono HD). They are fraternal twins. Add a Munetoshi butcher for the bones. I must say.. if you watch the better known butchers on YouTube?? They all use a Vic breaking knife, or boner or cimeter. I just think my above combo is more fun

The pic below has the Pig Iron custom in the middle. Beliw are a couple Wusties for scale. Above are examples of knives suggested here.

Mune is a beast, great for rough work, if you own a grill you should have one of these - but it's not a "boning" knife by conventional use.

Forgie is a sweet little knife. 10 bucks on the bay, just the right size, this one lives in my deer kit. (Won't hold an edge long, but enough for a deer)

I don't find the Silverthorn too flexi. Like it a lot. Skeered to do much tip work though.

The Marko is a Marko. Nice, 52100, nough said.

The Forshner (which was given to me on here) is a 10" boning that is a good size for getting fat and silverskin off bottom rounds. And then cutting roast into slices, chunks, etc. But gets dull faster than an Al Gore speach

The Pig Iron in aebl holds an edge well and sharpens readily. Nimble enough for detail, robust enough for just about anything. Andrew was a pleasure to work with. And I love the makers mark.
20200722_104743.jpg

Last edited:
I'd also consider asking Evan from strata too. He's been a butcher and had been really helpful with recommendations and info in general. He's on IG as strata Portland and on here too, smashmasta maybe?

Great information all! I really appreciate it!

I really like this: HIDA TOOL. It’s popular enough at the tiny butcher shop I work in that we’ve bought three of them. its technically a skinning knife, but it works well for boning, skinning, trimming, portioning smaller items, etc. Same site sells a 140mm boning knife (a super short hankotsu) also from Kusakichi that I’ve started using alongside the knife above for smaller, more delicate tasks. They’d very possibly be the only knives I needed (maybe with a bullnose or a sujihiki) if I had to go minimalist.

The munetoshi butcher and slicer are both fun to have. I rehandled the slicer with a bigger, heavier burnt chestnut handle a couple years back so that it handles like a big boning knife, which is cool, but I wouldn’t keep either as my only boning knife. If you have room to keep a toolbox full of boning knives and your coworkers already think you‘re nuts, though, it’s certainly worked out ok for me.

Also a big fan of Victory boning knives. Like a Forschner from New Zealand, but easier (for me) to sharpen and they hold an edge better.

edit:speeling

In Germany much butchers use boning knives from "F.Dick". Do you know this company? Its very famous in germany

PS: F.Dick is also very famous for their Sharpening steel. I think the most famous one is the "Dickoron".

Last edited:
Yes we know this brand... I think a lot of people really like the sharpening rods they make

Ok all... I need a new boning knife. I’ve tried a bunch of run of the mill knives like Victorinox, zwilling, dexter, etc... and currently using a Wusthof 4610 6”. I do a good bit of butchering from breaking down entire sides, to just trimming and portioning. I do not care for a very flexible blade in a boning knife and it will not get babied. So... what say you all???!!!
Thanks
JJ
I love my Moritaka Honesuki for any kind of whole small animal butchery from suckling pigs to chickens. It’s really stiff, takes and keeps a good edge and the sexy kurouchi is an added bonus.

Attachments

• 23BB6843-5697-4A5D-8687-F880E9293DDD.jpeg
    23BB6843-5697-4A5D-8687-F880E9293DDD.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28
  • D317276B-2928-42B9-9400-8749F74865D2.jpeg
    D317276B-2928-42B9-9400-8749F74865D2.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 60468E8C-F4C3-45ED-ABF7-018A316B0B00.jpeg
    60468E8C-F4C3-45ED-ABF7-018A316B0B00.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3CFC23DC-928B-43DB-9309-25A79B7F6D3E.jpeg
    3CFC23DC-928B-43DB-9309-25A79B7F6D3E.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Why only one boning knife? I tend to work with a pair, one straight and flexible and one curved and stiff. The straight one has been mostly a F. Dick for years but every once in a while I try another brand. Victorinox has also always worked well for me. Swibo from Switzerland are also good knives. As for custom I've been using a de Clercq. Tends to be a waiting list on those though.

I have something similar....
275mm Tojiro DP Deba...
Like wielding a broadsword!

Attachments

• 43D29D54-9E20-4842-B3E2-4CB5554AF311.jpeg
    43D29D54-9E20-4842-B3E2-4CB5554AF311.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 14
When I was working at Publican in Chicago the MAC PB60 was the knife of choice for dry cured hams and was quite stiff, and the poly handle gripped well covered in fat.

Why only one boning knife? I tend to work with a pair, one straight and flexible and one curved and stiff. The straight one has been mostly a F. Dick for years but every once in a while I try another brand. Victorinox has also always worked well for me. Swibo from Switzerland are also good knives. As for custom I've been using a de Clercq. Tends to be a waiting list on those though.
Never been a fan of flexible boning knives, especially for fish. I’d rather use a short gyuto. Been looking to get a deba, but I’m left handed so deciding which makers I want to invest that kind of money to.

Never been a fan of flexible boning knives, especially for fish. I’d rather use a short gyuto. Been looking to get a deba, but I’m left handed so deciding which makers I want to invest that kind of money to.

I've always used a flexible boning knife on fish to cut over and around bones rather than through. Flexible also works best for me when boning out big game down leg bones or removing backstraps.

I've always used a flexible boning knife on fish to cut over and around bones rather than through. Flexible also works best for me when boning out big game down leg bones or removing backstraps.
Even the pin bones?!? I don’t see how that wouldn’t ruin the flesh since pin bones run almost all the way to the skin. I use long strokes first on the dorsal side of the fish then cut through the pin bones laying the knife against the vertebrae, keeping the belly intact, then tweeze the pin bones out. That’s why a stiff deba works so well on fish. The flat side lays on the dorsal bones so there hardly any waste.

Back