Boning lamb shanks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
****, y'all.

So, cooking at home for 3, two of whom eat only limited red meat, and one of whom is a 5 yr old that occupies all my brain power, I don't break down red meat that much at home. I break down chickens frequently and am pretty efficient at that, but I'm not so great at trimming silverskin etc...

Today I got a couple lamb shanks delivered and decided to bone them so I could grind the meat. What a freakin pain! Those things are like 90% silverskin... every individual muscle is completely encased in it. So do any of you actually bone lamb shanks frequently? Do you try to get much of the silverskin off? I can't decide how much it'll impact the flavor/texture of ground meat. Guess we'll see.

Of course, I haven't done the obvious thing, which is to go watch some youtube videos or something. So feel free to respond with "do your homework, noob!" Right now, I feel like griping to the masses instead.

Dear Dog, lamb shanks were invented to be braised like osso buco! Please don't kill them by grinding them up! (I just shed a tear)

(and my 7-year-old said "Daddy, why is that bad man ruining the lamb shanks?")

(okay, not really. But he should have :D )

Dear Dog, lamb shanks were invented to be braised like osso buco! Please don't kill them by grinding them up! (I just shed a tear)

(and my 7-year-old said "Daddy, why is that bad man ruining the lamb shanks?")

(okay, not really. But he should have :D )

Hah! Yea, that's what I normally do. But I wanted to do something different this time. And I wanted to cut some stuff up. I haven't ground it yet, though, so perhaps I could just marinate the pieces and braise it as usual.

I would use a shoulder for grinding, then again slow roasted lamb shoulder can be pretty amazing. Just ordered some lamb necks for birria taco this Sunday, thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: ian
Back