Bonkers proposed changes to UK knife law.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least you will still be able to shop for knives online. Although it will be annoying to have to pick them up.

In Denmark you are no longer allowed to carry a pocket knife unless the blade is shorter than 70mm and the knife can't be opened with one hand or locked in open position.

Silly bureaucrats..

Lars

There were more bonkers proposals in the past, including banning or restricting sales of large and at the same time pointy chef knives.

Maybe they should tax cheap knives instead - make any knife the price of a beginner level professional tool at least, and people will suddenly be very interested in keeping ANY unwanted user off them, and not carelessly discard them (which seems to be one of the ways lots of knives end up used as convenient weapons) :)

Again, I do wonder how this all is supposed to work for cook, butcher, builder, or barber apprentices, or very young householders, aged 16-18?

How about kitchen towels? Is it still OK? because those could be potentially lethal via strangulation....oh dear oh dear. :rofl2:

Its just a proposal for a consultation to discus possible changes to the law .....at the moment, as usual media has gone nuts with it rather than report the facts. Think it will be important for uk makers of chef knives and tools to make themselves heard during consultation phase. The main concern seems to be the flick, flippers, quick opening folding knives, hopefully classifications for possible bans will become clearer. I think I shall email my MP, to try and get some more facts and find out how I can put my case across should they decide that they can actually implement something here, these laws often fall down in implementation on classification like with samurai swords... the fear would be a blanket ban on anything sharp. I would say only 5-10% of my sales are uk based though.......its a world market.

Its just a proposal for a consultation to discus possible changes to the law .....at the moment, as usual media has gone nuts with it rather than report the facts. Think it will be important for uk makers of chef knives and tools to make themselves heard during consultation phase. The main concern seems to be the flick, flippers, quick opening folding knives, hopefully classifications for possible bans will become clearer. I think I shall email my MP, to try and get some more facts and find out how I can put my case across should they decide that they can actually implement something here, these laws often fall down in implementation on classification like with samurai swords... the fear would be a blanket ban on anything sharp. I would say only 5-10% of my sales are uk based though.......its a world market.

Just based on population, I'd assume you sell more to the US and Canada (and probably Australia) than domestically. Especially the US, since we have such an unquenchable thirst for consumer goods. And I'm assuming most of your sales are to English speakers in former colonies, though I'm certainly not expecting you to reveal customer demographics.

I don't mind at all, the EU as a whole makes up the largest proportion of my sales in recent years, closely followed by the U.S..... Australia. But buyers can pop up all over, South America, Israel, Singapore, Iran, Dubai, Morocco, ....I have sold a few to Japanese Chefs in Japan, but Japan would have to be the hardest sell!!

But thats a bit off track, I took the time to email my MP, will let you know what reply if any I get, would encourage others in the uk to do the same :)

Ugh, this old chestnut.
I'm sure the majority of knives used in youth crime must be procured from the family kitchen?
I'll be e-mailing my MP, too, even though he is a feckless moron.

Will, whatever happened to the Knife Makers' Association?

Once again, another ridiculous attempt to ban tools rather than educate users (or solve the underlying social issues)...

Next they will ban chisels, hand power drills, garden scissors and even cars and motorbikes as they too can cause personal injury and can be used by criminal youth...

Once again, another ridiculous attempt to ban tools rather than educate users (or solve the underlying social issues)...

Next they will ban chisels, hand power drills, garden scissors and even cars and motorbikes as they too can cause personal injury and can be used by criminal youth...

Yup...it's the Liberal state of mind: treat no one like a responsible adult and treat everyone like a mouth breathing man-child, oh and tax everything!

I really hope Canada wont follow suite. I really like our laxed laws on knives. They are not perfect and have some wiered bans, but overall are quite reasonable.

P.S. Taxes are good. Tax's loopholes for the rich are the problem.

Can a cook carry a knife bag to work or on public transport? Here no problem so far.

I really hope Canada wont follow suite. I really like our laxed laws on knives. They are not perfect and have some wiered bans, but overall are quite reasonable.

P.S. Taxes are good. Tax's loopholes for the rich are the problem.

Canadian weapons laws mostly make no practical sense. Most of the restrictions on items potentially used as weapons are conjured up by politicians and bureaucrats with zero empirical research done to back up any new limitations on freedoms.

As for taxes being good while loopholes, when used by rich people, being bad really requires no response but here goes...fact remains that people in government steal more from taxpayers than any rich person using any loophole (loopholes are legal until they are closed while cronyism, money laundering, bribery and just plain theft is against the law). Wether good old fashion fraud, money laundering, cronyism, pay to play, or simply through a grossly bloated and inefficient bureaucratic government structure, the government remains a much larger crook than any multimillionaire or billionaire. I, for one, don't buy into the notion that a government entity (with zero incentive to act efficiently and 100% incentive to perpetuate its own existence) is a good place to allocate our tax dollars. Also, higher taxes don't equate to better social services or a more robust welfare state. It usually equates to PM Dumbass and his crew vacationing on private islands and using your taxes to pay for jet fuel and pools of Chateau Lafite.

Canadian weapons laws mostly make no practical sense. Most of the restrictions on items potentially used as weapons are conjured up by politicians and bureaucrats with zero empirical research done to back up any new limitations on freedoms.

As for taxes being good while loopholes, when used by rich people, being bad really requires no response but here goes...fact remains that people in government steal more from taxpayers than any rich person using any loophole (loopholes are legal until they are closed while cronyism, money laundering, bribery and just plain theft is against the law). Wether good old fashion fraud, money laundering, cronyism, pay to play, or simply through a grossly bloated and inefficient bureaucratic government structure, the government remains a much larger crook than any multimillionaire or billionaire. I, for one, don't buy into the notion that a government entity (with zero incentive to act efficiently and 100% incentive to perpetuate its own existence) is a good place to allocate our tax dollars. Also, higher taxes don't equate to better social services or a more robust welfare state. It usually equates to PM Dumbass and his crew vacationing on private islands and using your taxes to pay for jet fuel and pools of Chateau Lafite.

Slow clapping. I know we stay away from such things here, but as a pretty high level tax professional who's made a study of the US system(s) of taxation for over 30 years, I don't believe I've ever heard it stated better.

Thanks Captain, I really try to stay away from political mumbo jumbo but as a Poli Sci major and a law student there are some commonly held notions that really drive me up the wall. Sending away half your paycheck to a faceless entity whithout questioning where it ends up while blasting very successful people who a) pay more taxes than the average bear and b) employ more people than the average bear is one of those things. I apologize in advance if I've ruffled some feathers.

Thanks StonedEdge. Appreciate you bringing up one aspect which can't be denied which is the utterly backwards incentive structure relative to a private individual

Bans are rarely done based on any real study. They are mostly "emotion" responses to a particular issue that active layer of society is vocal about. But if you look at Canadian knife laws as a whole, they are pretty laxed. You are a law student, so you might know more details (also fwik Quebec has stricter knife laws), as long as I have a reason I can openly or concealed carry any non banned knife. There is no restriction on guard type or length or anything else (please correct me if Im wrong).
Banned knives include gravity knives, auto knives, balisongs, knives that dont look like knives and may be some other obscure things.
Overall I would say Canada laws are pretty good. Especially in comparing....

As for your Tax comments, its a rabbit whole I wont go; but sire you are wrong. You must be lucky to be born in to a quite privilege environment.

"educate users (or solve the underlying social issues)..."

Is it cynical to say that it is probably contrary to some intentions to solve these or educate anyone?

The "samurai sword ban", if I am not misinformed, is "hand crafted/high quality stuff is fine, cheap but sharp replicas are not", similar to japanese law? Not totally unreasonable, if a bit paranoid..

"Zombie" knives, now do come on ... that is a real world replica, usable in the real world as not much but a weapon, of something from a fantasy world, usable in that fantasy world as not much but a weapon. I'd readily agree that nothing positive could result from making such stuff conveniently accessible to minors.

If there is a reality of "users nobody will or would educate, and that might be pissed off from everyone treating them as stupid", yeah, I'd call anyone marketing dangerous things to them that have no tool purpose irresponsible.

Would you have wanted to give the London or Hamburg rioters zombie knives and knockoff katanas because hey, it would be a nice change from molotovs and bricks?

I do wonder where the middle ground that has been struck in the past a lot - offer registration and licensing for stuff that ends up MOSTLY misused otherwise (balisongs*, inexpensive tameshigiri swords would probably be good examples of things that have a legit sports purpose but that you don't want everyone running around with) - as is done with other weapons, as is done with ham radio operation - has gone?

*I guess the primary reasons they are so hated is how people used to play around with them in public as a means of plausible deniable intimidation?

I agree Canada has some very chill laws regarding knives and bladed weapons, no gripe there with me (for the time being).

*Edited to leave out further politically related stuff. A slippery slope I don't want to go down as politics can quickly turns friends into foes, which I don't want to do with anyone on this great forum.

Can't even buy a knife on ebay or Gumtree in uk. Thats plenty..

Thanks Captain, I really try to stay away from political mumbo jumbo but as a Poli Sci major and a law student there are some commonly held notions that really drive me up the wall. Sending away half your paycheck to a faceless entity whithout questioning where it ends up while blasting very successful people who a) pay more taxes than the average bear and b) employ more people than the average bear is one of those things. I apologize in advance if I've ruffled some feathers.

I didn't want to comment but did you have any evidence to back up your claims bar your opinion?

Admittedly I am in a different country but I have worked in both private and government and see no practical difference in efficiency. In reality all I have seen is the mark up private companies charge for government work.

As for the tax stuff I'll just say i predominantly disagree, with caveats that are just too difficult to bother with given the differences between countries tax systems.

Quite often it is easier and more effective to ban the tools rather than attempt to educate or change the bad seeds.

Totally agree with you. Why anyone ever thinks taxing the rich is going to result in their personal lives being better is beyond me. All it does is give the government more loot to hand themselves.

And yet, you can order and receive The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell with no problem at all :)

Yes, but if I mass produced the stuff that book describes, and sold it to everyone, would you think I had good and ethical intentions in mind?

Not talking about tools (pocket knives big and small, machetes...) here. Not about collector (eg historic or art swords) or sports weapons (eg tameshigiri swords). Just mass produced cold weapons without any of these values. Isn't saying "make and sell them to the general public as you wish" sending a statement of "it is, even if illegal, socially acceptable for you to carry and use them"?

A german politician I otherwise don't agree much with put it well once (paraphrased): "Someone suspicious looking cleaning his fingernails conspiciously with a one hand opening knife, in a crowded passenger train, claiming he is of course not threatening anyone".

That's why we can't have nice things...

Yes, but if I mass produced the stuff that book describes, and sold it to everyone, would you think I had good and ethical intentions in mind?

That would really depend. Seems to me that most modern governments are doing exactly that: mass producing stuff that book has (no submarine plans Im afraid....but some governments do make and sell those too), selling it to everyone, and claiming ethical intentions. So....lets see what we have, we got "bad guys" with all that crap - they are above the law anyhow, and we got the law - the "good guys", ready to protect us from those bad guys - of course, they NEED to have that stuff to fight the bad guys yes (except they never seem to be there on time)? And then there is your average Joe who's only crime in life is he has a "thing" for cooking and wants to update his kitchen gear from time to time. Forget cooking. Most places on earth don't allow citizens to arm themselves against enemies (foreign and domestic) let alone the aggression of government. So in my mind the question is really - "How much over criminalization can a culture absorb before it completely looses respect for the law"?

I think you can buy them on ebay, maybe you can't sell them? (ie, on ebay uk you can buy them from international sellers)

Last I tried to buy a knife from ebay seller contact me that he couldn't ship to uk from Finland because of ebay law's so we had to through other routes and Gumtree removed my kitchen knife advert for same reason

Last I tried to buy a knife from ebay seller contact me that he couldn't ship to uk from Finland because of ebay law's so we had to through other routes and Gumtree removed my kitchen knife advert for same reason

Isn't it great to be a responsible adult in a free country......

Back