Book Review – Damascus Steel Swords: Solving the Mystery of How to Make Them

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I used Verhoeven's Fundamentals of Physical Metallurgy textbook in college, and watched the video with Al Pendray on the recreation of Wootz crucible steel. This book looks a bit more accessible than his textbook was (no slight intended--it was a textbook after all!)

Verhoeven does change his writing based on audience. His textbook being on Physical Metallurgy of course covered a lot on dislocations and their behavior, interactions, etc. Dislocations are the foundation of mechanical behavior of materials. His metallurgy book for bladesmiths uses the word dislocation only a single time. I think his restraint is admirable.

Last edited:
So as promised I am back with my impressions. The book was thinner than I expected, but it described all the process and also gave some background on how and why did the author persue this subject.

The book starts right away without much introduction on metallurgy (though it also does a great job on not going into unnecessary technical details). However to be able to appreciate it more I would strongly suggest to read the (by now the uncrowned king of metallurgy for non-metallurgist) introduction book from Mr. Verhoeven to get the grasp of the basics first.

The factual truth why and how did the masters of orient made their famous ‘Damascus’ swords is relatively simple (sorry, no spoilers here), but spending a few dozen pages to get there makes you appreciate more how much work was necessary to uncover the technique. I will only tell you - the devil is in the details :)

I would wholeheartedly recommend this reading to everyone who would like to peak beyond the modern knifemaking. And of course to those who might be interested in trying it out themselves.

For me the time is now to re-read the Introduction book by Mr. Verhoeven so that I can dig deeper with his more technical works later.

Back