Books pass-around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got 5 books to share with others, a pass-around, in time for fall and winter reading.

Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipes by Hiromitsu Nozaki

Knife: The Culture, Craft and Cult of the Cook's Knife by Tim Hayward

An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives -- How to Buy Them, Keep Them Razor Sharp, and Use Them Like a Pro by Chad Ward

Sharp: The Definitive Introduction to Knives, Sharpening, and Cutting Techniques, with Recipes from Great Chefs by Josh Donald

The Knifenerd Guide to Japanese Knives by Kevin Kent

These books are fairly introductory in nature to most of us but there is some stuff that all of us can learn and of course its always nice to look at the pictures.

Continental US only, USPS book rate to keep cost down, for example, Colorado to New York, $7.60, 6 days, no need to insure. Keep them for 2 weeks or less and then pass them on.

I want new comers to KKF to benefit from these books but also want to be careful so I'm requiring that you have been a member for at least 3 months and have at least 30 posts.

Think I'll cap it at 10 participants.

Please respond here in the thread if you are interested and then PM me your address and I'll come up with a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generous offer. Good books all, I think I have them all. "Japanese Kitchen Knives" takes a look at the 3 classics, Yani, Usuba and Deba and is one of those that's hard to obtain.

And I fixed Chad for ya.

Thanks for the offer, I'm down. Plenty of reading time 😁

These were all amazing and very helpful to me, except I haven't found a copy of Knifenerd Guide yet, and I felt Knife by Tim Hayward had relatively less content and was intended more as a coffee table picture book than a real intro.

The Knifenerd Guide is a good book. Beautiful photography, and a fair bit about the history and tradition of knife making. Lots of info about traditional knife smiths in there, mostly from Takefu. Definitely worth a look. It's available at knifewear.com.

Super nice offer! I'm in. I already own and read Sharp, but am interested in all the others

Sharp is so prominent even the Singapore public library stocked the e-book.

I’m not eligible for the pass-around, but thanks for the reading list. I have the Knifenerd Guide, it’s a good read.

They began from different perspectives, but I thought "Edge in the Kitchen" was good because it framed its introduction as debunking a number of myths about kitchen knives. "Sharp" has a very interesting history introduction.

Probably not "Japanese Kitchen Knives" as it focuses solely on traditional single bevel techniques, but "Handbook on Japanese Knives and Sharpening Techniques" has a good introduction from a very Japanese perspective.

They began from different perspectives, but I thought "Edge in the Kitchen" was good because it framed its introduction as debunking a number of myths about kitchen knives. "Sharp" has a very interesting history introduction.

Probably not "Japanese Kitchen Knives" as it focuses solely on traditional single bevel techniques, but "Handbook on Japanese Knives and Sharpening Techniques" has a good introduction from a very Japanese perspective.
Thanks!

CFBB23AE-E7BE-4FA2-8D58-9C7366FBCA6E.jpeg

See book on top

I'd be interested in looking at these if possible, thanks.
(hmmm....how did I miss this originally?)

Back