Boston, checking in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Howdy folks

I've been perusing these forums for the past few months. I just made an account this week after lurking and absorbing as much information as possible. The expertise I have gleaned has helped me find a knife that I am extremely happy with. I have always valued a sharp knife and I take great pride in keeping my tools in top shape, but I had no idea what a sharp knife (a truly sharp knife) felt like until I started cutting with my new gyuto. (Which, BTW happens to be a Ryusen Tsuchime Damascus series 210 gyuto.) The knife is a dream to work with, and -- at least according to my sense of aesthetics -- a real beaut.

My first question, if anyone would be so kind as to help me out, has to do with whetstones: I see that I can get a combo stone fairly cheaply at epicurean edge ( http://epicureanedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=80005 ). Should I be wary at how inexpensive this stone is? I certainly feel that at this point my technique is going to be the thing holding me back, not the equipment. I really just want to get a set of whetstones (or a combo) that would get me up and sharpening.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Steve. Welcome to the forum. Boston is a great food city; professional cook? I don't have experience with King stones but from what I've seen from others its a good stone for the price. Might just pick up that stone myself.

Welcome from Aus, There are so many informative posts on sharpening by the well credentialed members.
Search away ,experiment and use your gut feeling!

My own experimentation and research has led me to believe that whole single grit stones are the way to go.
Yes they might hurt a-little more ( in the purse ) but the end experience is so much better.

The current line-up I use is 500k beston, 1200k bester, 6000k sigma power

Deburr and deburr , the burr-wire edge is the nemesis!

best of luck

Rowan...

Welcome e Knut house topside!
My only concern about the stone you linked to is that it is a little small. An inch or so here and there really makes a difference!

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome.

SpikeC, you make a great point that I hadn't yet considered. I think I will try to find a larger stone. I am still trying to work out something on a budget, though.

tkern, I do enjoy Boston, and you're right there are a some great places to eat. I am not a professional cook--just love messing around in the kitchen.

Welcometo KKF! I have a similar stone(800/6k) and it is a pretty decent stone. You will have to be mindful about keeping it level, they are fairly soft, but work pretty good.

Back