Brass and other alloys in handles

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by StrawberryMeow, Jun 15, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2018 #1

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

Hi,
    I have a quick question today.
    I have noticed that handle makers often use copper, brass, and other things like nickel silver and vulcanized fiber for spacers / ferrules / endcaps.
    They certainly look cool, but I wonder if it is safe, as the metals will inadvertently come in contact with acidic ingredients, and contamination can definitely occur from the hand.
    Is there something I am missing?

2. Jun 15, 2018 #2

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

nothing really to be worried about IMO, unless you decide to stir your food consistently over a very loooong period of time with your handle of course.

3. Jun 15, 2018 #3

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

Isnt that the use of the handle?
    I thought it was there to stir food lol!
    :knife:

4. Jun 16, 2018 #4
    This has always been an issue for me, since most of my knives are custom handled.
    My solution is to cut the fingers off some extra large latex washing up gloves, stretch them over the handle and secure with a bead of hot glue (hypo-allergenic type of course). Works a treat, and provides a non-slip grip to boot! 🦄

5. Jun 16, 2018 #5

RDalman

RDalman

RDalman

I looked into brass recently as it has some lead in the alloy. The type I use (most common I think) is approved by the eu for food and drinkingwater contact. And on copper, that's whats most waterpiping is made of.

6. Jun 16, 2018 #6

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

There is also some intentionally added lead in some stainless steel types. Not the stainless types commonly used for food gear (which do not tend to be machined unless it is hardened steel, and the lead is added to improve machinability of mild stainless if I understand correctly) - but there will certainly be a trace left from all the recycled steel that goes into making new steel....

7. Jun 16, 2018 #7

Anton

Anton

Anton

don't do fancy handles if it worries you

8. Jun 16, 2018 #8

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

StrawberryMeow

Overall it seems it'snot something i should worry about then. Ty everyone.

Too late. Handle is already being made. Will update with pic in a month XD

9. Jun 16, 2018 #9

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

10. Jun 16, 2018 #10

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

Omg it's toxic, don't do it!!!

11. Jun 16, 2018 #11

apicius9

apicius9

apicius9

Das HandleMeister Founding Member

I am really not sure how even traces could make it into the food from a handle as long as the cook sticks with basic kitchen hygiene practices. That said, my favorites are people who contemplate the potential hazards from something like knife handles while smoking a cigarette...

Stefan

12. Jun 17, 2018 #12
    I have similar concerns about handles made of wood. Those trees are outside a long time, soaking up toxic rain, hosting bugs, sometimes even rooted in dirt!

Give me Globals:cool2:

13. Jun 17, 2018 #13

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

globals arent gluten free, theyre coated in carbs

14. Jun 17, 2018 #14

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

Most of the exotic tree handles are made out of toxic wood, send them to me, I’ll dispose of them.

15. Jun 19, 2018 #15

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@Stefan compensation is not contradiction :)

Let's hope all the toxic stuff works to the simplified definition of disinfectants: If adult humans become sick when they eat it, and children get even more sick, just think what it does to germs when you make them eat it!

16. Jun 19, 2018 #16

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

This concern has never even crossed my mind

Why would your handle come in contact with the food? You cut with the blade not the handle. Your knife hand should never come into contact with the food either. Don't be a slob and you'll have nothing to worry about.

17. Jun 19, 2018 #17

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@Theory you actually manage not to alternate between cutting and needing both your hands to corral cut food into its place? I admire you pros, without any sarcasm.

18. Jun 20, 2018 #18

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

My very first day under a real chef (Bert Gill look him up) over 20 years ago I was told, "you have a working hand and a knife hand, your knife hand never touches the food." and I never touched the food with my knife hand ever again. The end.

It just always stuck with me. And he was right. I see cooks putting the knife down, manipulating the chicken, picking the knife up, it's f*****g gross. And there's no reason for it. What is it that you have to do with that hand that requires you to contaminate your knife handle? What?! I've been heavily criticized in the youtube comments for not wearing a glove on the knife hand and my response is always the same, "show me where I touched the food with that hand in the video." Crickets.

19. Jun 20, 2018 #19

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

100% agreed with knife hand not touching anything but the knife. Especially breaking down chicken. Just a home cook here.

20. Jun 20, 2018 #20

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

wait what? people expect you to wear a glove on the hand that's holding a knife? lol maybe you gotta wear gloves while holding tongs or spatula too eh?

21. Jun 20, 2018 #21

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

Oh yeah people get triggered over that s**t. Calling me "unsanitary" or screaming about "health code violations" and "I'd never hire you" blah blah blah.

Show me where I touched the food! Only time I ever touch the bird is when doing a ballantine because it's impossible not to. Even then I use a towel in my knife hand so I'm not getting chicken juice all over the handle.

22. Jun 20, 2018 #22

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

those are the same people with tons of allergies, they dont deserve our food anyway, go eat elsewhere f*ckers.

23. Jun 20, 2018 #23

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

In California, I believe that Proposition 65 requires a warning label on kitchen knives with any brass components on it because it contains carcinogenic elements.

Personally I feel the warning is overkill. I'm not a restaurant cook, so not concerned in the least about the brass ferrule on my Tanaka, I'm not using the knife to plunge it ferrule deep into a Poco Grande Glass to stir Pina Coladas. Also, hate laws requiring food sushi chefs to wear gloves, the banning of wooden cutting boards from pro kitchens, and the lame ass Hawaii law of Chinese BBQ needing to be either under heat lamps or refrigerated—sorry for the rant.

24. Jun 21, 2018 #24
    Legislation and whining snowflakes have killed the joy of most of life’s pleasures (and choices) so far; why should culinary artistry be immune? F that S...I’m going back to Japan where I can eat chicken sashimi without giving it a second thought.
    You comin’ Panda?

25. Jun 21, 2018 #25

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

f*ck yeah dude lets go!! i'm gonna go apprentice at a ramen joint and join honda motorsports team on the side

26. Jun 21, 2018 #26

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@ThEORy and what if ... omg... the farmer touched the produce while readying it for shipment? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted