Brass and other alloys in handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrawberryMeow

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a quick question today.
I have noticed that handle makers often use copper, brass, and other things like nickel silver and vulcanized fiber for spacers / ferrules / endcaps.
They certainly look cool, but I wonder if it is safe, as the metals will inadvertently come in contact with acidic ingredients, and contamination can definitely occur from the hand.
Is there something I am missing?

nothing really to be worried about IMO, unless you decide to stir your food consistently over a very loooong period of time with your handle of course.

nothing really to be worried about IMO, unless you decide to stir your food consistently over a very loooong period of time with your handle of course.

Isnt that the use of the handle?
I thought it was there to stir food lol!
:knife:

This has always been an issue for me, since most of my knives are custom handled.
My solution is to cut the fingers off some extra large latex washing up gloves, stretch them over the handle and secure with a bead of hot glue (hypo-allergenic type of course). Works a treat, and provides a non-slip grip to boot! 🦄

I looked into brass recently as it has some lead in the alloy. The type I use (most common I think) is approved by the eu for food and drinkingwater contact. And on copper, that's whats most waterpiping is made of.

There is also some intentionally added lead in some stainless steel types. Not the stainless types commonly used for food gear (which do not tend to be machined unless it is hardened steel, and the lead is added to improve machinability of mild stainless if I understand correctly) - but there will certainly be a trace left from all the recycled steel that goes into making new steel....

Overall it seems it'snot something i should worry about then. Ty everyone.

don't do fancy handles if it worries you

Too late. Handle is already being made. Will update with pic in a month XD

US penny was 100% copper for a long time, and 95% copper until around 1980

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)#History_of_composition

1280px-Lincoln_Cents%2C_1941-1974.png

I am really not sure how even traces could make it into the food from a handle as long as the cook sticks with basic kitchen hygiene practices. That said, my favorites are people who contemplate the potential hazards from something like knife handles while smoking a cigarette...

Stefan

I have similar concerns about handles made of wood. Those trees are outside a long time, soaking up toxic rain, hosting bugs, sometimes even rooted in dirt!

Give me Globals:cool2:

@Stefan compensation is not contradiction :)

Let's hope all the toxic stuff works to the simplified definition of disinfectants: If adult humans become sick when they eat it, and children get even more sick, just think what it does to germs when you make them eat it!

This concern has never even crossed my mind

Why would your handle come in contact with the food? You cut with the blade not the handle. Your knife hand should never come into contact with the food either. Don't be a slob and you'll have nothing to worry about.

@Theory you actually manage not to alternate between cutting and needing both your hands to corral cut food into its place? I admire you pros, without any sarcasm.

My very first day under a real chef (Bert Gill look him up) over 20 years ago I was told, "you have a working hand and a knife hand, your knife hand never touches the food." and I never touched the food with my knife hand ever again. The end.

It just always stuck with me. And he was right. I see cooks putting the knife down, manipulating the chicken, picking the knife up, it's f*****g gross. And there's no reason for it. What is it that you have to do with that hand that requires you to contaminate your knife handle? What?! I've been heavily criticized in the youtube comments for not wearing a glove on the knife hand and my response is always the same, "show me where I touched the food with that hand in the video." Crickets.

My very first day under a real chef (Bert Gill look him up) over 20 years ago I was told, "you have a working hand and a knife hand, your knife hand never touches the food." and I never touched the food with my knife hand ever again. The end.

It just always stuck with me. And he was right. I see cooks putting the knife down, manipulating the chicken, picking the knife up, it's f*****g gross. And there's no reason for it. What is it that you have to do with that hand that requires you to contaminate your knife handle? What?! I've been heavily criticized in the youtube comments for not wearing a glove on the knife hand and my response is always the same, "show me where I touched the food with that hand in the video." Crickets.
100% agreed with knife hand not touching anything but the knife. Especially breaking down chicken. Just a home cook here.

wait what? people expect you to wear a glove on the hand that's holding a knife? lol maybe you gotta wear gloves while holding tongs or spatula too eh?

Oh yeah people get triggered over that s**t. Calling me "unsanitary" or screaming about "health code violations" and "I'd never hire you" blah blah blah.

Show me where I touched the food! Only time I ever touch the bird is when doing a ballantine because it's impossible not to. Even then I use a towel in my knife hand so I'm not getting chicken juice all over the handle.

In California, I believe that Proposition 65 requires a warning label on kitchen knives with any brass components on it because it contains carcinogenic elements.

Personally I feel the warning is overkill. I'm not a restaurant cook, so not concerned in the least about the brass ferrule on my Tanaka, I'm not using the knife to plunge it ferrule deep into a Poco Grande Glass to stir Pina Coladas. Also, hate laws requiring food sushi chefs to wear gloves, the banning of wooden cutting boards from pro kitchens, and the lame ass Hawaii law of Chinese BBQ needing to be either under heat lamps or refrigerated—sorry for the rant.

Legislation and whining snowflakes have killed the joy of most of life’s pleasures (and choices) so far; why should culinary artistry be immune? F that S...I’m going back to Japan where I can eat chicken sashimi without giving it a second thought.
You comin’ Panda?

@ThEORy and what if ... omg... the farmer touched the produce while readying it for shipment? :)

Latest posts

Back