Bread Baking Dish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a really awkward shape for baking bread in. I also don't really see the benefit of this whole setup, especially when it's made of porcelain. Cast iron works just great anyway. The enamel on mine didn't exactly get any prettier from it though, so I guess bare cast iron probably is the way to go.
If I really wanted to splurge that Challenger bread pan actually does look really nice, and exactly what I'd want in a bread pan.

When I baked in pots, I used a lodge cast iron dutch oven, non enameled. I think these are the best. I've used enameled le creuset and cheaper knockoffs. They work well, but they discolor from the high heat. I like the low walls on the dutch oven as well. The downside is that you get a little rust sometimes. It didn't bother me, however.

I used to bake in ceramic (Romertopf). I would pre-soak them, then pre-heat. They turned out really well, but I was always afraid of breaking them. I didn't see an improvement over cast iron.

Now, I use two pizza steels in my oven and bake on a half-sheet tray. I can get more bread done faster and can play with more fun shapes. For steam, I pour 1/2 a wine bottle of hot water (tap) into a half sheet tray filled with broken pizza stone pieces.

During the summer, I try to bake bread after midnight, open the windows, and run the fan through the entire process. Even if it is slightly warmer outside, it pays off for me. Its a terrible feeling running the AC while baking. It hasn't been hot enough for me to do it, but you could also try packing more loaves in your oven so you can limit the time the oven is on. For instance, I often bake in aluminum cake pans so I can fit an extra loaf in the oven. If I bought more of these cake pans, I could probably do all of my bread in a single batch instead of the three I currently use.

Something to consider is baking bread outside on a grill. I've done it on a propane grill before. Its hard to get the top well browned but its something to try. I used to do baguettes on the grill. You want a large amount of cast iron in the grill to try and keep the heat high. I've done pizza or flatbreads or fougasse on the grill and those tend to do better. In my opinion, you can use the same dough for pizza/flatbread as normal bread and gluten development and fermentation translates well between bread and pizza.

Idk, I’d just stick with your Le Creuset or buy something like the bread pan or a different Lodge dutch oven if you have money you want to burn. Seems like the point of the thing you linked is to simplify so you can only use one bowl. It also looks kinda small, but it's hard to tell from the vid and I didn't look at the specs. But I'm sure it makes just fine bread, just like most cooking vessels, so if you really want it go ahead.

Last edited:
Its possible that they pre-soak the ceramic lid if its unglazed? I'd worry about pre-heating.

The Lodge DO linked above works very well and is safer because you can place your dough on the upside down lid with a smaller chance of burning yourself. Then place the upside down bottom over the lid and dough. Also, less steam escapes because the upside down base is solid. Personally, I'm not sure that the last bit is even noticeable, but that's the claim I have heard.

+1 to the Lodge cast iron (non-enameled).
I did bread once in an enameled cast iron that pulled off a piece of the surface enamel. Probably a defect in the pan (wasn't a good one made in France) or a combination of factors, but still... since then, I appreciate cast iron with a lid :)

Hard to do better than a LeC.

Gotta say though that Challenger pan looks good - and he who dies with the most toys wins!
@Elliot Would it fit in a large toaster oven? Could not find dimensions on site.

I use a large Le Creuset Dutch oven. I’ve also heard nothing but positive things about the Challenger bread pan.

I also have a Römertopf, but haven’t used it for bread yet.

In the end, any oven-proof pot that is large enough will work.

Hard to do better than a LeC.

Gotta say though that Challenger pan looks good - and he who dies with the most toys wins!
@Elliot Would it fit in a large toaster oven? Could not find dimensions on site.

I wouldn’t really bet on it. It’s quite large.

Mixing, any mixing bowl I can use a plate on top of for a lid.
Proofing, $10-20 basket from amazon
Baking- I max out my oven at 550F, I double stack 1/2 sheet pans (create an air gap) in the bottom of the gas oven to act as heat deflection and even out hot spots. I bake in a $30 ish lodge cast Iron Dutch oven. I have also used an inverted metal mixing bowl. When baking you don’t need anything heavy dudy, just enough to stop air flow from pulling away the steam.

Mixing, any mixing bowl I can use a plate on top of for a lid.
Proofing, $10-20 basket from amazon
Baking- I max out my oven at 550F, I double stack 1/2 sheet pans (create an air gap) in the bottom of the gas oven to act as heat deflection and even out hot spots. I bake in a $30 ish lodge cast Iron Dutch oven. I have also used an inverted metal mixing bowl. When baking you don’t need anything heavy dudy, just enough to stop air flow from pulling away the steam.

550? You don’t get scorching? I’m doing most of mine at 460.

It's 250 ºC (482 ºF) for me for the first 30 minutes with the lid on. Then lid off and temperature down to 230 ºC (446 ºF) for another twenty minutes or so. I check the browning and pull the loaf once the core temperature reaches about 88 ºC (190 ºF).

Huh, you take it out at that low of an internal temp? It isn’t swimming in moisture? Most of my sourdoughs I pull out like at 209F. Interesting.

Last edited:
Huh, you take it out that low of an internal temp? It isn’t swimming in moisture? Most of my sourdoughs I pull out like at 209F. Interesting.
Typo, I'm afraid. I meant 98 ºC (208 ºF) :(

Reactions: ian
550? You don’t get scorching? I’m doing most of mine at 460.
I don’t get scorching when i double stack the sheet pans and use a DO. Before I used the sheet pans I did get scorching. Heat deflection is a trick I learned from the kamado cooking world.

Reactions: ian
Has anybody here tried the Emile Henry cloche?

1623870561034.png

Last edited:
I've done some catering and classes for a local retailer that sells Emile. Pretty lightweight stuff - wouldn't have it.

I've done some catering and classes for a local retailer that sells Emile. Pretty lightweight stuff - wouldn't have it.
Yes, it's lighter because it's stone-ware (ceramic),,, not enameled cast iron. I'm just wondering if it works well. I like the idea of having low sides for more even finish-browning.
That said, you have to be more careful with these stoneware vessels. (thermal shock) They can crack if a hot vessel contacts a cold surface and vice-versa. They're roughly 1/2 the price of the Challenger, and come in different configurations.

That said, I already have three Le Creuset and Staub Dutch ovens (4 qt., 5,5 qt., and 7.25 qt.

https://williamsfoodequipment.com/e...MIsO-K6Oqc8QIVGPPICh2p9g3XEAEYASACEgKYxPD_BwE
https://www.emilehenryusa.com/products/bread-cloche

Last edited:
Sry, should have included that I have used it in classes and demonstrations. These were the basis of my "lightweight" remark. I did not think they did the job that LeC does for any baking tasks.

I bake at 500. I used to bake a 550. I had a slight problem with scorching at 550.

I've never tested temperature of the inside of my bread. I go by browning, weight, and the sound when I tap the bottom. I also like baking really dark though so 🤷‍♂️

Back