Bread knife for

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Henckels bread knives? They cut different. The one with the deep serrations cuts crusty bread and hard salami better but marks the cutting board so I use the other one until I need the big gun. I tried using the one with deep serrations but my cutting board looked ugly after using it for a while.

View attachment 159508
That is an important point: some knives will really cut into your board. I definitely wouldn’t use my finest end grain board when cutting bread with my gf‘s rosewood handled Victorinox!

Question to anybody: do folks generally sharpen el cheapo bread knives or only fancy/premium ones? I don’t often use my dumpy Russell one, part of me wants a nicer one just to have (but I really don’t NEED a new one) versus just sharpening it. But it’s surprisingly decent and only recently started ragging on crusty loaves.

Question to anybody: do folks generally sharpen el cheapo bread knives or only fancy/premium ones? I don’t often use my dumpy Russell one, part of me wants a nicer one just to have (but I really don’t NEED a new one) versus just sharpening it. But it’s surprisingly decent and only recently started ragging on crusty loaves.

Try flattening just the back-side of the blade on a piece of fine-grade wet-dry sandpaper. 400 grit should be more than enough, or even 200 grit should be fine. In effect, you'd be honing the back side of the teeth. Try that before trying to sharpen the so-called "teeth".

Last edited:
I'd buy a Victorinox pastry knife. Come with a choice of rosewood or cheaper still fibrox handles.

Always had a 10" rosewood in the work roll, it's a really versatile knife. Great for slicing loaves, portioning pastries. Some will spit but I also use it to carve 40kg striploin at work for the Sunday roast, even shred greens with one. They come back to life on a honing steel for years, the one I currently have in the work roll is five years old and doesn't need replacing yet £40.

I personally love my Güde bread knife. Thing is a sword.

I started baking a few years ago as I got tired of the crap premixes a lot of bakers have swapped to or those frozen bake up things they use. I want to know what is in my bread so I taught myself to make it myself, local mill for flour or i mill it myself when using whole wheat/rye/spelt.

Edit: Güde Brotmesser 32 cm, Alpha Olive | Güde that's my bread sword. Cuts the biggest of loaves fine.

Last edited:
I have the Mac Pro (or superior?) and like it a lot. It has 260 mm blade and there I times I would wish it were longer. But the gently curved profile is perfect (I would never buy a bread knife that has a dead flat cutting edge after experiencing this one - the gentle curve is excellent for the saw-montion). We had it for a few years now and I should finally sharpen it. I really like that is does not have sharp teeth, but rather a continuous wave. It is still aggressive enough to cut through a fresh crusty loaf, but does not wreak all that much havoc on the cutting board.

I recently got the Japanese bread knife from Kitchen provisions which is a huge upgrade from my old one (Sabatier?)
https://www.kitchenprovisions.co.uk/collections/bread-knives/products/japanesebreadknife
The blade is thin and a bit flexible. It absolutely demolishes hard-crusted fresh sourdough when you use big saw motions. I can't see why a lefty wouldn't be able to use it.

-edit-
They also have a Herder Windmuehle bread knife, though it is a different model than that in OP's first post.

Serrated knife and still smashing the tomato? 🤦‍♂️

That squished tomato-slice segment of the video, shows what a "poorly designed" serrated knife does on tomatoes, compared to a properly designed serrated knife. Hint; if you actually "listen" to the video you're watching,,, they specifically point that out.

I've seen Gallagher use more finess.

What has "finesse" got to do with a cutting comparison of a "poorly-designed" serrated knife vs a "properly-designed" serrated knife? The video shows that some cut cleanly, while others cut poorly,, so, how does "finesse" fit in?

Just to say that I could not find Mercer for lefties in the UK (that knife sounds really promising and does not cost a fortune!), so I decided to take a risk and to order Herder Windmühlenmesser. Boy oh boy it is so rewarding to cut homemade freshly baked crusty bread with this knife. Honestly, proper bread knife rocks!

Thank you everyone for your help and insights!

I had a circa 1985 Henkel‘s bread knife. Never really liked it. I replaced it around 5 or 6 years ago with the Shun 9” in VG10. It’s the one Shun knife I wouldn’t get rid of. Perfect length, right amount of teeth with the right shape, and a lovely, subtle rocker shape. Good knuckle clearance on the board.

Attachments

• EC3206B7-4346-4649-A157-ED586668808C.jpeg
    EC3206B7-4346-4649-A157-ED586668808C.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 14
I'd suggest an odd ball knife.

Take a look at the Dexter Tiger Edge slicer. Dexter says it's a meat slicer, which makes no sense to me OTH to call it a serrated edge is a vast understatement. It's more like a saw - a serrated edge on steroids. No bueno for delicate work but for a hard crust bread (and a million other things) it's hard to be for $30. All of the traditional Dexter bread knives are a good buy at $30-$35.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back