Bread Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumbaa

Reaction score
I know the 2 main options are Tojiro and Mac. And I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas around the price range or less. I went into my bag today and grabbed my chroma and it is crazy bent like a damn rainbow arc in it. So on to the next one.

Those are both great option and you can't go wrong with either. Apart from those, Forschner would be your next best bet. I have had a few of those and they cut just fine.

Tojiro itk is basically $60.00 and free shipping. Looking for something cheaper? Btw my tojiro itk is a favorite knife of mine.

I am thinking the ITK and calling it a day. I had a forschner but the only 1 I could find long enough was crazy flexible. It would flex through dense breads and cakes.

I am thinking the ITK and calling it a day. I had a forschner but the only 1 I could find long enough was crazy flexible. It would flex through dense breads and cakes.
You should. I promise. You will like it. In fact if you don't you can sell to me for full price you paid and I will give it to a friend. You will thank me.

I honestly was looking at the ITK and Mac, so his rec. isnt off base or anything.

It can be had from three separate purveyors, and is as strong a performer as the Mac, and for less...this coming from a diehard Mac fan. Go for it....

Why are you pushing the knife?
Because I love mine for the price. No strange motive in fact more than one vendor carries them. I am simply very happy with mine. You have always been friendly, and are also friends with son. Did I offend you inadvertently?

Just got an ITK last week. I love it! Traded my Shun bread(yes the purge of the Shuns is complete!!!) for it. The serration on the blade is unlike anything I've used before. I do think it will be difficult to sharpen. It is flexible too. Can anyone comment as to how flexible the Mac is ?

i hate having to spend money on a bread knife. but im glad i decided to invest in the itk tojiro. big improvement from forshner.

I'm using a Masahiro but if I had to replace it I think I would lean towards a Gude. I hate spending money on a bread knife as well but I'm always glad to have a nice one when I use it.

Dave

have not had a Mac, but we like the Tojio ITK much more then the Wusthoff I've had for years. Part of that may be the additional blade length, but the knife itself has a nice balance. We not in a restaurant environment, but we usually slice some crusty bread every day.

I bought a Tojiro, but sent it back due to somewhat shoddy f&f where the handle meets blade. Haven't seen others say the same, so may have only had a Friday blade...good luck!

I bought a Tojiro, but sent it back due to somewhat shoddy f&f where the handle meets blade. Haven't seen others say the same, so may have only had a Friday blade...good luck!

Just wondering was yours a DP? I have never heard that on an ITK. I also bought Tojiro senkou birds beak and the fit and finish was good in that series as well. I certainly won't have all tojiros, but i can't believe the fit and finish and cutting ability on my bread knife for the money. If i was going to spend considerably more i would get a misono 360mm stainless bread knife, but i am very happy with mine. Gude are also good at the higher price point.

I bought a Kanetsune from japan blades about a year ago. I think it's made from aus-6 so nothing fancy and it's pretty flexible, but it's held up well enough and was only $35 (+$6 shipping), gone up to $40 now, but still a decent offering imo.

The Scales are just held on with Cutler rivets and no epoxy etc. There was a slight gap on mine at the front edge but nothing worse than i've seen on plenty of other knives, and easily fillable with a smear of epoxy. I got it to rehandle so wasn't that bothered, and it's a relatively cheap knife so wasn't expecting perfect F+F. Blade is good, nice length, would get my vote as the pick of serrated knives

Mine was an ITK and had the same issues described by TB_London...could've easily fixed it, but figured I'd just get the MAC...wound up with a Forschner:>)

The Tojiro is a solid performer. At $50, though, you will likely get some burrs(as I did) and the heel has a choil on the edge(not just on the "return" part of the blade), and though its not sharp enough to cut bread, it's square enough to poke the *censored* out of your forefinger, and should be rounded or respected.

Also, mine chipped. That sucks, because there is NO WAY I am going to sit here with a file and regrind those scallops. The edge isn't the easiest thing in the world to sharpen, I touch mine up with a ceramic honing rod, and it takes like 10 minutes. The trick is effectively deburring it.

The best thing about it is the economy of it--you get almost not crumbs from using it, and that means less mess and less waste for me when I'm making a few gallons of croutons.

I have always wanted to try that Gude bread knife, too. Those type of serrations are much easier to sharpen.

I was tempted to make the side-trek to the TDI knife shop on Monday just to grab an ITK, but was on a very tight schedule -- was headed to hanami in Ueno Park before getting to Haneda for the red-eye to LAX. I think my Tojiro would also become a re-handle project.

Because I love mine for the price. No strange motive in fact more than one vendor carries them. I am simply very happy with mine. You have always been friendly, and are also friends with son. Did I offend you inadvertently?

I was referring to pushing as in pushing the knife into the cut, as opposed to a pulling cut. If the blade is flexible it doesn't matter much for a bread knife because you would be pulling the knife through the bread instead of pushing the blade into the bread. No offense was taken, just a semantic misinterpretation!

I was referring to pushing as in pushing the knife into the cut, as opposed to a pulling cut. If the blade is flexible it doesn't matter much for a bread knife because you would be pulling the knife through the bread instead of pushing the blade into the bread. No offense was taken, just a semantic misinterpretation!

I have an old Wusthof that I'm planning on replacing.

When cutting crusty bread, I think I sort of push and saw...no good?

Maybe I need to ask Eamon to make a "how to cut a loaf of bread" video!

Back