Breadmaker recommendation request

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
My grocery delivery sometimes omits bread, as they are out, and I actually tried making it myself ... It turned out passable for the first try, but I'm lazy.
I'll try these no-knead recipes as well, but I'm wondering if people here have recommendations for breadmakers.

Home usage, once a week, budget ~$300.
Plan to make mostly whole wheat with mixed in metric ton of nuts and stuff. I'm aiming for fluffy insides with really crusty outsides. Don't care for gluten-free options etc.
I'm told it's better to use the breadmaker to make the dough and still bake in the oven to get a crustier crust, so if you have mixer/kneader/proofer only options, I'd love to hear those.

So far top of the list is this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XVUAOU
Thank you.
Cheers.

I have the Zojirushi Virtuoso (very similar to the linked machine) and like it a lot. The two-paddle setup actually does make a big difference.
That said, it's also worth considering buying one for ten bucks at a thrift store if you can find one.

Lol. No KitchenAid please .. I have little self-control, that thing will give me a heart attack within 6 months.

I haven't been terribly successful at finding worthy things at thrift stores .. I'll keep both eyes out though.

I have a Varimixer Teddy 5L, it is amazing. It's on the pricey side, but for me it is well worth it. It's really quiet, strong and super sturdy. Its all metal and almost weighs double that of the Kenwood Chef Titanium XL, but again it's made to last in a professional kitchen environment. All the bakers and pastry chef i know use one.

Kitchenaid is the Chelsea Miller of breadmakers. Get the real deal. Panasonic SD-RD250. Been using one for the past 8 years. Can't remember the last time I bought a loaf in the US.

Seriously its got a French bread option that really will give you what you want. Its the only program I use. Tall loaves, that get a crispy crust but soft in the center. There's even a trap door for delivering nuts and dried fruit, olives etc at the appropriate moment. Its a 6 hour cycle and I tend to make 2 loaves every week. When cool I cut in half and freeze one portion. The loaves tend to stay fresh and edible for 3-4 days. One thing to remember, get quality yeast and store appropriately. I find Krogers fast rise bread yeast in sachets to be consistently good and the best of the brands I've tried.

I've also heard good things about Zojirushi

Last edited:
Bullshit_Flag_Product.jpg

I doubt Kenwood XL or Teddy can be found for sub $300 .. but yeh, both look like they mean business.

I apologize, I was just poking fun at Dave. I bake bread now myself, but have the possibility to do it from scratch, so I do. But I totally see the appeal of a bread maker.

Can I ask which parts of your current process you find too labor intensive?

"intensive" is a strong word. It's perfectly do-able once a week that I need to do it, but automation would be nice.
Specifically kneading and proof timing .. some recipes call for quite a bit of attention, good timing .. and how things happen, I could be a few hours off.

I like the all in one systems. Just put the flour, yeast, water salt and a little oil in the pan, start the program and pull out the finished loaf at the end. So easy.

You really don't need a bread maker. There are plenty of good no knead recipes out there. I started with those and now bake sourdough loaves at home.

My 3rd attempt .. quite edible! though a bit more gewy then I'd like/last time, maybe seeds sucked up too much water, not sure .. also will try backing without a lid for even more crust.

IMG_20200614_160749.jpg

My 3rd attempt .. quite edible!
Congratulations! It's fun, isn't it? :)

though a bit more gewy then I'd like/last time, maybe seeds sucked up too much water, not sure .. also will try backing without a lid for even more crust.
I'm far from being an expert at this point. But, from looking at the crumb, I am guessing that there may have been insufficient gluten development. You got some oven spring, but not a all that much, which also suggests that the gluten network may not have been as strong as it could be.

I'd make sure to thoroughly knead the dough and check that, before the bulk rise, the dough passes the window pane test. If not, wait another half hour and do a few more slap-and-folds until you have good gluten.

For baking, I pre-heat a dutch oven to 260 ºC and bake for 30 minutes with the lid on. This traps steam and helps to create a nice crispy crust. (Without steam, the crust will be only so-so.) Then take the lid off, reduce temperature to 230 ºC, and bake for 20 more minutes.

Final tip: make sure your starter is really active before mixing it into the dough. It makes a big difference.

Here is one I made last night:
Rye beer bread.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

That's one of the best looking breads I've seen. All my attempts so far have been disappointing.

Back