Main plate Breakfast potatoes (and eggs) for 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, although I wouldn’t expect it to work at all similarly with sweet potatoes. I always find them easier to scorch and they never get as crispy for me. Might have to add extra starch. But if you do try it, let us know how it works out!

Will do. Yeah I’d expect some variance for sure due to having less starch and more moisture, but we’ll see how it goes. I’ll probably throw in some cornstarch and maybe try a slightly thinner layer when frying to keep the middle from being too soft.

Reactions: ian
CC9DEF96-0108-4E8A-A3B2-2D5C3CEF1746.jpeg

Haven’t made these in a year or two. What was I thinking?

I will try your recipe in a couple of days. It looks good.

Reactions: ian
Looks good! Hashbrowns with a knife! Super cool! What knife is it anyways?😄
Need to make this, but with bacon too!

Edit: I got the answer on the knife lol

This is reminiscent of Rösti (and a number of similar potato dishes, such as hash browns and German Kartoffelpuffer, among others).
The next time one finds oneself in Saarbrücken, one must remember to stop in for Dibbelabbes at Die Kartoffel
C3EBDFB2-B05C-48CC-BC57-91FAFA4EBD66.jpeg

or, if the partner is with, at La Bastille, where they class it up by serving the applesauce in a bowl.
D94034CD-0445-4657-8DCC-E61FA9425046.jpeg

Would adding a splash of white vinegar to the parboiling water make a difference, I wonder…

Hmm. Not a bad idea in general for firming things up, although I’m usually making a pretty thin pancake, so as long as there’s a crispy crust that’s all that matters here. Btw, I don’t actually parboil, but yea you can add vinegar to the potatoes in the microwave. I think I’ve actually done this in the past, can’t remember how big of a difference it makes.

In some sense, the whole point of this recipe is starch control, so swapping in sweet potatoes changes everything. I’m sure you could do it with the appropriate amount of added potato starch, though.

How does it compare to hash browns using a grater?

Better, imo. I find those often come out too gummy for me. The grater destroys the potatoes so much that there's a ton of starch and water floating around, and it's harder for me to control the result.

Plus, you get to use a knife instead of a grater.

I am amazed at the fine strip cuts on those potatoes. The dish looks really good.

Dumb question probably but, if I were to cut the potatoes at night for the following morning, how would you store them to keep them ready to cook?

Anytime I’ve left pre-prepped potatoes (homemade fries) overnight they’ve gotten soft and gross by the following day.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Idk, you can prob keep them fresh tasting (ish) in water, but that’ll mess with the starch control, which is the point of the recipe. If you’re really making potatoes for 1 (or 2), it doesn’t take so long to cut them. Prob takes me under a minute.

Idk, you can prob keep them fresh tasting (ish) in water, but that’ll mess with the starch control, which is the point of the recipe. If you’re really making potatoes for 1 (or 2), it doesn’t take so long to cut them. Prob takes me under a minute.
Was going to be for about 20 people after a bachelor party lol. Don’t know how much prep I’ll have patience for after a long night out but might not have a choice.

And the question above was kind of about potatoes in general. I like to try and prep out some stuff for the week at home for my wife and I since the baby makes breakfast time a challenge

Was going to be for about 20 people after a bachelor party lol. Don’t know how much prep I’ll have patience for after a long night out but might not have a choice.

And the question above was kind of about potatoes in general. I like to try and prep out some stuff for the week at home for my wife and I since the baby makes breakfast time a challenge
I'd vote you freeze it

Ya, frozen and then maybe microwave defrosted?

Also, maybe y’all can help me. I have *never* managed to make this successfully for a group. On the stovetop it would take forever, since you can’t put more than like 2 potatoes in a 12 inch pan at once if you want it crispy at the end. And in the oven, I find the potatoes never crisp up right. Instead, the exposed bits burn and the bottom never crisps. I usually tried it at 400something.

Parboil? The main problem with doing shredded potatoes in advance has always been oxidation. Parboiling is the most effective cure I've found.

And in the oven, I find the potatoes never crisp up right. Instead, the exposed bits burn and the bottom never crisps. I usually tried it at 400something.
This is not so different from Potato Kugel. I do that in a cast iron skillet. First fry the bottom a little on the stove top, and then put the whole thing into the oven. I end up with something that is crispy both top and bottom. A 12" skillet of the stuff will feed eight people, easily. I don't see why you couldn't double up and do two skillets at the same time.

Since we are in Bavaria my small boy loves the so called Reibadatschi (basically an swiss rösti with eggs and flour , onion and apple inside). Served with apple compote.

In Swizerland they eat rösti with everything.

SirCutALot

This is not so different from Potato Kugel. I do that in a cast iron skillet. First fry the bottom a little on the stove top, and then put the whole thing into the oven. I end up with something that is crispy both top and bottom. A 12" skillet of the stuff will feed eight people, easily. I don't see why you couldn't double up and do two skillets at the same time.

Hmmm, idk. Seems kinda different to me. This recipe works best if it’s pretty thin. Maybe I should just make your rosti for groups tho. Looks awesome.

By the way, not to rain on your parade, but isn't it a lot faster to just run the potatos through a mondoline with the julienne mode enabled? ;)

I don’t own a mandoline, but when you’re doing 1 or 2 potatoes it’s very fast. If you prefer to use a mandoline, noone is stopping you.

By the way, not to rain on your parade, but isn't it a lot faster to just run the potatos through a mondoline with the julienne mode enabled? ;)
It ends up tearing more than cutting in my experience, which makes a not insignificant difference in the end product (and presumably why a box grater is also not used)

Latest posts

Back