Sous Vide Brisket Temperatures

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash987

Reaction score
Just wondering what temps you have found work best for producing a brisket. I have been using the Chefsteps recipe found here https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket as a guide, tweaking the rub and glaze a bit to my taste (their rub is too salty IMO). The last time I tried it, I used their temperature and time (24h at 155F). Turned out slightly too tough for my preference.

I am in the process of using the Thomas Keller temp of 147F at 48 hours. My goal is to find a good balance of pull and tenderness. I'm sure I could chuck it in at a lower temp for longer but I think I would lose out on some texture. Anyone have a technique or temperature they love?

225 cooker temp, till internal meat temp gets to be 200. Wrap in butcher paper and towels place in an empty cooler until internal temp drops to 150.

I've not tried to SV a brisket before (yet). Don't do it ofter enough to stray to far from the smoker.

Most "butcher" cuts will benefit from longer times in the bath. In my experience doneness is a function of temp. Texture is a function of time. I did not like Chefsteps for pork belly, did like Serious Eats - if I was doing a brisket I would start there.

I cook my brisket at 225 F until the internal temperature gets to 160 degrees and then wrap it in foil with brown beer added until it reaches an internal temperature between 190 and 200 degrees depending on how long I want to rest the meat. The internal temperature needs to get to 200 - 205 degrees for that firm tender taste. A full packer (16 pounds) goes at least 20 hours - an 6 -8 pound flat can be done in 8 hours. I smoke with charcoal and oak wood chunks (from my shop).

dave, combi oven is a wonderful thing! =P
or you could do it at 212deg by putting it in a stock pot with steamer insert.

i like to grill then braise in the oven @ 275.

Get the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and your problems will go away! It has great temperature control and is well built.

Get the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and your problems will go away! It has great temperature control and is well built.

I have both WSM (22.5) and BGE (large) and I much prefer the egg. Don't get me wrong the WSM is great, just not as versatile as the egg. The only aspect of the WSM I prefer is the amount of food I can fit. The egg can smoke or grill, has far better insulation (makes a huge difference in cold windy weather, think Chicago), easier cleanup, burns much longer with out refueling, etc...

I have both WSM (22.5) and BGE (large) and I much prefer the egg. Don't get me wrong the WSM is great, just not as versatile as the egg. The only aspect of the WSM I prefer is the amount of food I can fit. The egg can smoke or grill, has far better insulation (makes a huge difference in cold windy weather, think Chicago), easier cleanup, burns much longer with out refueling, etc...

I'm sure the Green Egg is a great cooker and we looked at that cooker before we bought the WSM. We don't have quite as much wind as you folks and my WSM is good for a 20 hour cook without refueling. They are both great smokers and do a great job with fantastic flavor!

I agree that both produce wonderful food. To get a 20 hour cook do you use the minion method ?

I agree that both produce wonderful food. To get a 20 hour cook do you use the minion method ?

Yes I do, I fill my ring with wood chunks and charcoal and then add about 15 lit coals to the center. The WSM will go for about 20 hours with a full ring at 225 degrees. I do love smoking beef, pork (roasts and ribs) and turkey on the smoker.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm actually buying a house soon so I will have a place to smoke! I just tried the 147F for 48h sous vide and it turned out very well. It preserved the pull like I was hoping for but rendered the fat and collagen perfectly. If you are shooting for a balance of texture, I would recommend it.

Hmm, I will probably give it a shot using my SV. Don't have a grill or smoker at the moment.

Back