• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Bryan Raquin Gyuto 240mm SC145

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
I'd love to buy a gently used Raquin Gyuto 240mm SC145 in case is someone is selling.

The first knife I bought on BST was a Tanaka Ironwood R2 240mm gyuto. I ended up having a wonderful correspondence with the seller and there was a colorful story that came out of trying to get Finland's post office to send the knife to Asia. Let's just say that the knife has a lot of good vibes at this point. One piece of advice from the seller was to try a Raquin (obviously, they're not sold in Singapore). I just bought one on BST but the seller withdrew the sale, so am posting a WTB.

(Or, I could always just start a dozen threads regarding my questions about this knife...)

Last edited:
Yeah, lovely account. Some members have speculated that there are bots that buy every knife of his that goes on sale within microseconds.

These are challenging time to sell overseas and many people decide to stay in one continent. And other thing might help, you could post to the thread show your new knive about your new acquisitions. You don't have to do any reviews. You will get your Raquin, you just have to wait for some time like everybody else. Good luck with buy Jose

Thanks @IsoJ, I'm enjoying your monster Toyama in the meantime and it has so many good vibes in it. We didn't discuss this because you're in Europe, but buying from US sellers, I think both US sellers and I prefer to ship to my US address.

International shipping is actually more reliable than USPS domestic shipping right know (though Fedex and UPS ground work fine). Your Toyama took 10 days EMS from Finland to Singapore. The Isasmedjan I told you about took 11 days EMS from Sweden to Singapore, except I missed the mailman and still don't have it.

(By the way, anyone buying from @IsoJ should have complete confidence. Awesome guy and very insightful. His knife arrived with packing material inside the knife box to immobilize the blade, styrofoam packing material wrapped around the knife box, and all this put in a second thick box wrapped very securely. Bulletproof package.)

Lo
Yeah, lovely account. Some members have speculated that there are bots that buy every knife of his that goes on sale within microseconds.
Then I'm convinced there may be those boys here too 😂, Everytime something I'm looking for goes up for sale, poof! In minutes. He does have 10k+ followers, so it's probably just a timing issue.
There's a couple"swap" forums on reddit, but the kitchen one is pretty weak, the other one is mostly anything but kitchen knives.

Bump. Just had another bad experience on BST where someone told me a knife was no longer for sale, but then sold it to someone else
1598414040700.gif
1598414040700.gif
That's interesting I have been doing bst deals since 2015 and never had any problems. I wonder what could be the issue maybe just bad luck for you?

I have a US address I prefer to use, it's just that I did not retain my US bank account and phone number so have to use a Singapore Paypal account that adds "Singapore" to every address I use. US sellers typically ask me to add a disclaimer about the address in a Paypal note or pay through another platform as Paypal is still geared for 1990's eBay transactions and is increasingly difficult to use in 2020. Most countries are not as large as the US, so those of us from smaller countries like Singapore have a few ways of doing cross-border transactions without drama. Happy to discuss this elsewhere.

I have fond memories of America, but I'm afraid so many of us in Southeast Asia would be terrified to live in the US right now.

For the newer members specifically. When you pay G&S as you should you need to have PayPal address same as shipping address for it to be fair to the seller. Otherwise sellers have no protection at all. Now, some sellers are ok with it, but don't be surprised if some don't want to do it for newer members that they don't know.

No, I'm very up front about this and readily understand. I'm not asking a seller to bear liability as a new guy. As I said, there are other platforms developed outside the US for these things, and I prefer to use Paypal as little as possible these days given all its limitations and its penchant for hidden fees. Happy to discuss elsewhere how to save on crazy forex charges and pay people in Japanese Yen or Swedish Krona, as I said.

If you are down to share our comms from pm on this thread or another thread we can do that. I am sure there will be no confusion If people can see the comms between us. If I am in the wrong I should get banned if you are in the wrong you should get banned. Do you agree to this?

But why get irritated at all JML? Mods have already deleted your last rants on this so please stop bringing it up. Chill out and relax, lots and lots of knives out there! This isn’t a big deal come on be positive!

Nah not bots. You just gotta earn your spot. Took me 1 year of trying to remember all of the steps. I wrote down the various steps everytime I tried. Till finally I got the rhythm down. Some advice do not to use paypal on his site. It will delay you and you will never get a knife that way.

Once you get the rhythm down you can basically purchase before anyone else. That's how I got my 2. But be patient and write down the steps or record your attempts to see what info you need ready. It's worth it!

Last edited:
A major problem paying from Singapore PayPal & ask to ship to another address in us is that the seller will lose PayPal protection.

IIRC, PayPal seller protection only works when the shipment goes to the address tied the buyer’s PayPal account.

I know, discussed above.

Not for you, it was more for other potential sellers beware of the risk. It’s not the sellers fault not able to sell to you unless you come up a with a solution, would you agree?

The only way to protect the seller in such case is F&F payment, which is higher discouraged because buyer will lose protection.

However, if the buyer is the one who insists in such a transaction, then buyer has to decide if it’s worth to take such a risk.

I don’t see any other way unless using some kind of a third party proxy service with protection to both parties.

Back