Bryan Raquin Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the cheap seats it seems that Jaszer has explained what he is doing with this whatever. His rules are clear and well laid out. If you want to play, you're free to do so. If it makes you uncomfortable then scroll on by.

But your not liking it doesn't mean I shouldn't like it.

This should proceed without anymore rock throwing.

Last edited:
I am joining in on this because I want to try a Raquin. And just because the owner wants some security isn’t shady at all. It’s a valuable item and this seems like a fun thing to me. I am so stoked just to try out a Raquin after hearing so much about them. If you aren’t interested in this then that’s okay. Everything is clear and up front so it’s not like he is being sneaky.

I picked up the knife and was not at home to use it. Just got home and had to post a picture of it for everyone and will give some first impression cuts and then my full thoughts later. All I can say is she is a beauty and I totally dig this handle.

Attachments

• DD297171-46F3-4B65-8A62-F4AA24B655AD.jpeg
    DD297171-46F3-4B65-8A62-F4AA24B655AD.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 48
Initial thoughts:

I totally get the hype behind Raquin. Love the handle, LOVE the flat profile (push, pull, and chopping are just a joy with this thing), the kurouchi finish is totally smart, dig the reactivity level (patina is brilliant), steel is great, spine is very comfy, and the whole package just feels tough and really to plow through everything. I’ve just done a light amount of prep for dinner but deciders that potato chips were going to be part of it because chopping potatoes with this was way to fast and fun.

I’ll continue to use it and give a more thorough collection of my thoughts.

Attachments

• DBDCD332-5B47-40DF-A348-E507311F5D2A.jpeg
    DBDCD332-5B47-40DF-A348-E507311F5D2A.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 82
  • CB61B1E5-86CE-42DD-8388-55C8D98664A1.jpeg
    CB61B1E5-86CE-42DD-8388-55C8D98664A1.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 104
  • 73312C60-8EC9-4C0E-9C5F-683F2641659A.jpeg
    73312C60-8EC9-4C0E-9C5F-683F2641659A.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 105
  • F59B1A95-F7BD-4948-9D69-333FBF9C4D90.jpeg
    F59B1A95-F7BD-4948-9D69-333FBF9C4D90.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 81A454B1-8DFA-4F8C-A294-CED8EF9060F6.jpeg
    81A454B1-8DFA-4F8C-A294-CED8EF9060F6.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 57
I think that maybe the first spine shot I've seen on a Raquin. Was expecting more taper tbh. Is this a KT and if it is, typical?

Hey just wanted to see if there was any update to the order of people getting this knife? Sometimes with pass arounds we see a list every so often after a few folks have had the knife of who is up to bat, who's on deck etc...

Hey just wanted to see if there was any update to the order of people getting this knife? Sometimes with pass arounds we see a list every so often after a few folks have had the knife of who is up to bat, who's on deck etc...

Hi,

I've been updating the list on the initial post on page 1. As soon as the next user gets the knife. I will update it as well. Please everyone, if at all possible please keep the knife for no more than a week. There's 20 people on the list and adding 2-3 days to each person will expand the time frame by 2 months.

Thanks again for your participation.

If you want to speed it up, just state that anyone that has it for over 3 days is not eligible for the drawing, that will light a fire under most folks. 1 day to receive, one day to use, one day to ship.

If you want to speed it up, just state that anyone that has it for over 3 days is not eligible for the drawing, that will light a fire under most folks. 1 day to receive, one day to use, one day to ship.

To be fair, the initial post says "no longer than a week". I will not change the conditions unless I have a unanimous agreement from anyone.

Although I would like for people to kinda speed it up and stick within the guidelines, I didn't realize how time consuming it would be to manage this thread lol.

Thanks for the update on the first page thing! Totally didn't notice that, my bad. see it now and thanks a bunch

Initial thoughts:

I totally get the hype behind Raquin. Love the handle, LOVE the flat profile (push, pull, and chopping are just a joy with this thing), the kurouchi finish is totally smart, dig the reactivity level (patina is brilliant), steel is great, spine is very comfy, and the whole package just feels tough and really to plow through everything. I’ve just done a light amount of prep for dinner but deciders that potato chips were going to be part of it because chopping potatoes with this was way to fast and fun.

I’ll continue to use it and give a more thorough collection of my thoughts.
That choil is thicker than a Hinoura and the spine has so little temper. This is the first time I see these details.
I would like to see some carot/apples/thick celery root/squash cutting sessions. I know there are a lot of fanboys on this forums and guys who invest in knives as if they are stock and they are biased by the investment. But I would like to see some objective reviews and test the knives as if they are used daily in a pro kitchen and not kept BNIB or for cutting some salad ingredients. Test it like you would test a Shihan
Also please give info and on edge retention and light sharpening of the steel after some heavy use
Please also group review on pros and cons. I want to know all these details in case I want to buy one.

Last edited:
Also to keep objectivity please do same test with your best and worst knife in between to see how they compare. Add this piece of info to the review. This is after all a 700$ knife so I want to know how it stand up to other cheaper or more expensive knives

It’s clearly a kitchen tractor, not a laser , don’t expect a no cracky knife here ... and it’s 450€.... not 700..
Thanks for the input. The OP valued this knife at 700$. Tractor or laser the purpose of a review is to show all aspects of a knife use and how it performs on various produce and situations. Also how it compares with other knives and also how it maintains. I have the best intentions in mind and same principles apply to any review regardless of maker or brand. I only care about objective input on performance.

Back