BST-Concrete Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I followed the recent BST discussion and I thought I'd point out some possibilities for giving buyers more pertinent information, based on another site.

I'm interested in cameras as well as knives, and as you can imagine, there's a robust market for reselling them.

I use this site a lot (not for purchasing) and I know they also use xenforo as a platform.

https://www.fujix-forum.com/classifieds/

Below is an image of their Detail page.

What I like about it is:

-Member history shows total # of posts and total # of classifieds. Gives a clear idea of how much the potential seller participates in the community. This, to me, would be very helpful.

-Discussions are available but are not featured. This may go against the KKF culture, I point it out though as a feature they implemented

-In other multi picture threads (not the one shown) there's a separate tab for images, after the one beauty shot

-Classifieds clearly show the currency they're priced in.

-There's a field called "Trader History" that could log complaints.

-Classifieds expire and get offloaded after 2 weeks into an archive forum. No junk.

I think some of these features would help a bit, and I think they've implemented a "hobbyist" marketplace in a pretty decent way. I don't really have a dog in this race, I only bought from BST once, and I was happy with the transaction (it came from someone I knew to be a frequent seller of knives but also that I knew to be an active participant). But it sounds from the other thread like frequent buyers are looking for more info, and I think xenforo can perhaps support that.
bst.jpg
bst2.jpg

Thanks for showing this. Appears they are upgrading to XF 2.0. This site on 1.5. Also, appears they may have some additional optional add-on. I'll check it out more. I have heard KKF probably will update to 2.0 in 2020.

In the meantime, members what do you think of that type of set up?

i like the idea...devil is obviously on the details

I like these 2:

-Member history shows total # of posts and total # of classifieds. Gives a clear idea of how much the potential seller participates in the community. This, to me, would be very helpful.
-There's a field called "Trader History" that could log complaints.

The expiration and separate tab for images I don't like. Not sure what the benefits of these arrangements would be and I just want to see all the images in one place.
Currency we already know, everything is in USD, no need for any additional info.

The following one I didn't really get

-Discussions are available but are not featured.

Everyone does know that the number of posts a member has made is under their avatar/avatar box on the left side of the post made.

Everyone does know that the number of posts a member has made is under their avatar/avatar box on the left side of the post made.

Yeah. I think the suggestion was more about tallying how many of those posts are in bst, for those that care about that sort of thing

Yeah. I think the suggestion was more about tallying how many of those posts are in bst, for those that care about that sort of thing

Why does that matter. A member could be here for years, have a thousand posts, and then one day decide to sale one of his knives. So, there would not be any B/S/T information for a well known member.

Why does that matter. A member could be here for years, have a thousand posts, and then one day decide to sale one of his knives. So, there would not be any B/S/T information for a well known member.

It matters because participation in the forum doesn't involve an exchange of goods and just because you post a lot and are considered a "veteran" of the community doesn't mean you're trustworthy or have successfully completed trades? Why would you not want to know about their past trades and feedback about them, whether positive or negative? That's common on... pretty much any other marketplace.

Personally, I don’t have strong feelings on this one way or the other. I was sort of thinking about the opposite situation of what Angie mentioned though. Being able to easily identify members who are almost 100% on BST and using the forum purely as a marketplace. Based on the other recent thread, it seems like that’s a concern people have.

Personally, I don’t have strong feelings on this one way or the other. I was sort of thinking about the opposite situation of what Angie mentioned though. Being able to easily identify members who are almost 100% on BST and using the forum purely as a marketplace. Based on the other recent thread, it seems like that’s a concern people have.

The discussion previously was that BST was (intended) to be for enthusiasts to use as a side-feature of the main site.

I know other forums have a feedback system for transactions where you can give and receive feedback as buyer and/or seller, all of which is visible to the membership at large.

The following one I didn't really get

-Discussions are available but are not featured.
Discussion happens in a separate tab. There’s not so much chatter about the sale.

Cameras and lenses are much better known than knives and seeing people’s reactions to a 90 mm lens are not as helpful as seeing someone’s comments about a Xerxes for sale. That’s why I said different cultures. If I want opinions on that lens about six well respected review sites can tell me all I want to know.

Nice thing about trader feedback is that it’s anonymous rather than a bunch of snarky glws comments and the seller knows who made them. Also the buyer may not understand what’s going on.

Last edited:
I don't see this on mobile web browser. Also I think supporting member badge blocks senior member badge which is unfortunate. Some generous members are both.

# of buys would be a cool stat to share on BST.

. I have heard KKF probably will update to 2.0 in 2020.

Rumor has it that it has been said that I have heard that people are saying this.

Just a few thoughts:
1) I like the idea of BST post as a percentage of overall posts. It tells you if someone just uses KKF to offload knives VS someone who actively participates in other parts of the forums.

2) I agree that it's a shame Supporting Member badge override Senior Member badge. When I see a new BST post by a Supporting Member, I always click on their profile to see how many posts they have. If they have many posts, it means it's a knife sold by a long-term member of the forums, as opposed to who paid for the membership just to sell a knife. I'm not saying that one type of seller is better than the other - there are plenty of not-so-nice long-term members and vice versa.

3) I think of 50 posts is the minimum threshold to post in BST, then there should be a rule that any GLWS posts don't count towards that.

Just a few thoughts:
1) I like the idea of BST post as a percentage of overall posts. It tells you if someone just uses KKF to offload knives VS someone who actively participates in other parts of the forums.

2) I agree that it's a shame Supporting Member badge override Senior Member badge. When I see a new BST post by a Supporting Member, I always click on their profile to see how many posts they have. If they have many posts, it means it's a knife sold by a long-term member of the forums, as opposed to who paid for the membership just to sell a knife. I'm not saying that one type of seller is better than the other - there are plenty of not-so-nice long-term members and vice versa.

3) I think of 50 posts is the minimum threshold to post in BST, then there should be a rule that any GLWS posts don't count towards that.

GLWT

Back