Budget AS Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abepaniagua

Reaction score
So, after the recommendations I received from the forum in terms of stones, I was able to buy them and got some extra money for a nakiri. I'd like to find an AS Nakiri on the budget...it can be used or new. I found 2 but shipping won't be fast enough, since we are moving soon...and i was wondering if I could find better prices around the web/forum.

I found these 2:
  1. Nakiri by Kurosaki (would love this one but i can't afford it and the shipping will take longer than I need)
  2. Shinko by Kamo (shipping hurts...)
Any other recommendations?

EDIT: I am in the USA, in the state of North Carolina.

Last edited:
James has a 180mm Shiro Kamo nakiri in AO - http://www.knivesandstones.com/shinko-seilan-nakiri-180mm-ku-aogami-super-by-shiro-kamo/ Not speaking from experience though I hope to have one soon. I do have a couple of KU Shiro Kamo knives and they are very good performers.

Seems like great value to me at ~$102. That's why it's on my must-buy-soon-list. :rolleyes:
James ships very quickly and has FedEx and DHL options available.

I referenced to it on my OP. He ships quickly and how long does it take? It is $107 + $25 or something in shipping. Total is ~$130

I referenced to it on my OP. He ships quickly and how long does it take? It is $107 + $25 or something in shipping. Total is ~$130
So you did - sorry - skipped over that detail. Can't speak for delivery time to the US as I'm in Oz where it's around two days. Shoot him an email perhaps? And for shipping cost... his website quotes $9.50 AUD (~$7.05 USD) for FedEx to the US.

So you did - sorry - skipped over that detail. Can't speak for delivery time to the US as I'm in Oz where it's around two days. Shoot him an email perhaps? And for shipping cost... his website quotes $9.50 AUD (~$7.05 USD) for FedEx to the US.

Yet at checkout it gives me a $22 shipping price .

James is fast and a great guy to deal with. The Shinko Seilan is a steal.

Another valid option is the B2 version of the same Shiro Kamo knife from Cleancut. They will deduct Vat and ad shipping which is usually about the same as the VAT. So what you see is what you get. They ship fast too. Not shure which will be cheaper they or K&S? Both good options.

Anyone have one of the Shiro Kamo that wouldn't mind posting a choil shot?

James is fast and a great guy to deal with. The Shinko Seilan is a steal.

Another valid option is the B2 version of the same Shiro Kamo knife from Cleancut. They will deduct Vat and ad shipping which is usually about the same as the VAT. So what you see is what you get. They ship fast too. Not shure which will be cheaper they or K&S? Both good options.

I wasntw able to change the shipping country in Cleancut. It would only have Sweden has an option. Weird

Last edited:
I wantwa able to change the shipping country in Cleancut. It would only have Sweden has an option. Weird
I've used cleancut a few times. When I decide on what I want, I email or call (they all speak English) and they send me a PayPal invoice. Pretty easy IMO and shipping is only a few days to Australia.

Last edited:
I definitely started with this mindset. Now that I have been playing with and overthinking jknives for a few years, I now think steel is the least important. I prioritize heat treatment first and grinds second. I can’t do anything to change the HT, I can have a knife thinned. I would rather have top notch white than poorly treated AS.

I've used cleancut a few times. When I decide on what I want, I email or call (they all speak English) and they send me a PayPal invoice. Pretty easy IMO and shipping is only a few days to Australia.

Got it! I'll send an email or call.

I definitely started with this mindset. Now that I have been playing with and overthinking jknives for a few years, I now think steel is the least important. I prioritize heat treatment first and grinds second. I can’t do anything to change the HT, I can have a knife thinned. I would rather have top notch white than poorly treated AS.

How do you know which ones have good treatments? And while I understand, there's also a key thing I need to pay attention, and that's the budget.

Hey OP, are you looking for just a Nakiri? Or anything that has a flatter profile in the 180mm range? If the latter, then McMan has a Heiji Semi-Stainless 185mm Santoku on BST now that fits in your budget, has good steel, stainless clad.

Hey OP, are you looking for just a Nakiri? Or anything that has a flatter profile in the 180mm range? If the latter, then McMan has a Heiji Semi-Stainless 185mm Santoku on BST now that fits in your budget, has good steel, stainless clad.
Had.
It sold :)

The Kato from DC went OOS today :(
OP don't feel too bad, every single one of us has probably had that happen, OOS before you pull the trigger, or had something in their cart for weeks, only for it to disappear for ever never to com back into stock. Not to mention when we talk about a knife here on KKF, it makes people go like : "Hmmm, I can use a Nakiri in AS I suppose?"

OP don't feel too bad, every single one of us has probably had that happen, OOS before you pull the trigger, or had something in their cart for weeks, only for it to disappear for ever never to com back into stock. Not to mention when we talk about a knife here on KKF, it makes people go like : "Hmmm, I can use a Nakiri in AS I suppose?"

It so frustrating. I didn't pull the trigger in the last 2 days cuz I was focusing on packing everything. This morning II wa like, "good, time to buy the Nakiri". OOS - I can still buy the Kurosaki or the one by Shiro Kamo. But I was excited about the Kato .

Back