Budget Pass Around: Shindo & Kitchen Knives Id

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What knife should the pass around be?

• Shindo Nakiri + Kitchen Knives Id gyuto

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + Kitchen Knives Id gyuto

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Shindo Nakiri + Windmühlenmesser Santoku

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + Windmühlenmesser Santoku

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Shindo Nakiri + ?

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Shindo Gyuto + ?

• Just the Shindo Gyuto

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Just the Shindo Nakiri

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here are some measurements:
Shindo Bunka:
168x46.9 mm
Height mid blade: 40.5mm
Spine: 4.8 mm bolster, 4.8mm heel. 2.7 mm mid blade.
133.5g

210 shindo gyuto:
217x47.6 mm
Height mid blade: 43mm
Spine: 4.8 bolster, 5.2 heel, 2.5 mm mid blade.
191.0g

240 knife ID gyuto:
243x53.2 mm
Height mid blade: 42.7mm
Spine: 2.5mm bolster, 2.6mm heel, 2.2 mid blade.
194.1g

I want to thank @xsmx13 and @pitted_soul for the passaround. My use was almost entirely the bunka because I like <200mm knives. I found it great for pretty much everything. I didn’t sharpen any of the knives as they arrived sharp. The shindo gyuto was also nice but I had a bunka to use! I’m quite impressed with the value and performance on these.

I hadn't realized I had reduced my bunka numbers like I had. I forgot about my N. Yamamoto Hakata, but it's a hakata. I guess that speaks to its awesomeness. It's highly capable and rustic. I got the handle at Tokushu by one of their smaller handle makers but he does excellent work. I can't remember his name and he they don't have any of his posted right now. Paul somethingorother.

Just want to update everyone. I'm still using the knives and enjoying them a lot. Will try to get shipped out this weekend or Monday at latest. All 3 are impressive for the cost. I really like the Shindo's and especially that Bunka. Something about it I can quite figure out, but I really like it. Will update once shipped with a full review then.

Back