Budget stone in 5-8k range EU

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by krx927, May 17, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. May 17, 2019 #1

krx927

krx927

krx927

Friend asked me for suggestion.

What would you suggest for a budget stone in 5-8k range to be purchased in EU?

I know for many that are very nice but not in budget category.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. May 17, 2019 #2
    That is a relatively wide grit range. If for kitchen knives I would suggest Bester 4000, Suehiro Rika or Shapton Pro 5000 from https://www.fine-tools.com/

And btw, what is his budget and what stones does he have already?

3. May 17, 2019 #3

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Yeah arashiyama 6k(?) is another budget stone. IMO rika is a great budget, beginner friendly stone. Not sure where to look in the EU though.

4. May 17, 2019 #4
    All 3 I mentioned are available on fine-tools

5. May 18, 2019 #5

inferno

inferno

inferno

I would suggest against a cheap stone. just get a good one and be done. suehiro, shapton pro/glass, naniwa pro/chosera and so on.

Personally i think the shapton 6k gray HC model glass is a very very good stone in this range. also the 8k shapton pro is very good. the 8k glass too.

i personally very seldom actually use any stone above 3-4k in general. but i still have stones up to 16k. several too. i feel carbon steel (blue and white) can go up to 8k or so and stainless to maybe 3-4k. but there is really no reason for me personally at least to carbon above 4k. its sharp enough. its sharp as hell actually. if done right.
    if if you reconsider i suggest the glass white HR in 4k and also the kitayama 4k and also glass 3k as good stone. i own all of them myself.

6. May 18, 2019 #6

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

Buy one stone, but the right one. Otherwise you buy twice and you will spend much more money as your budget.

I agree with all suggestions from Inferno. Personally I like the Shapton Glasstone 6000 HR - this stone is outstanding and really all you need.

7. May 18, 2019 #7

krx927

krx927

krx927

For the moment he has some cheap 1000/3000 combo. I wish he would consult me before buying it...

For me 4k is not enough. The knife does not fall through the onions like I want it to. Personally I go higher but I use Jnats. I only set the edge on Chosera 1k.

What is the difference between these 2 Shaptons (HR and HC):
    https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/p...t-8000-super-fine-1-84-micron-stone-50203.htm

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/p...0-fine-1-84-micron-sharpening-stone-50803.htm

HC being nicely priced.

Matus: The Suehiro Rika you are suggestion; there is one 6k on https://www.fine-tools.com/suehiro-stones.html
    But is does not say Rika beside it. Is this the one?

I also have Naniwa Junpaku Snow White 8k that I like a lot. I bought it (before Jnats) some years ago for 89 eur. Now it is 189!!!

8. May 18, 2019 #8

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

The Suehiro Rika is 5000 grit. It's a good stone, assuming you don't mind having to soak it for 10–15 minutes first.

9. May 18, 2019 #9

inferno

inferno

inferno

in theory the gray stones are formulated for carbon steel and the white ones for high alloyed tool steel.

the only difference i have noticed is that the gray hc stones are a little slower cutting, but still fast comparatively.

and that they polish above their stated grit rating (the white ones does not polish at all). the 6k polish above the 8k pro, and the 8k gray polish similar to the 12k pro.

they also feel a little more grabby than white stones.

in practice there is very little difference in performance between white and gray, the gray ones just polish while the white ones does not.

10. May 18, 2019 #10
    I would just say that if knife is not falling through onion after a 4k stone, then either the sharpening is not quite there yet, or simply the geometry of the edge/blade is not optimal. Of course an 8k edge will cut even more smoothly, but 4k should leave next to nothing to desire.

11. May 18, 2019 #11

KingShapton

KingShapton

KingShapton

I personally know only the Shapton Glasstone 6K HR, the HR-stones are made for any kind of steel including HSS.

If your friend like the Shapton Glasstone 6K, with the 500 Glass and the 2K Glass he will have a great 3-punsh-setup.

12. May 19, 2019 #12

krx927

krx927

krx927

Thanks for all your inputs. Just a few more clarification.

Is my understanding correct:
    Bester - soaker
    Suehiro - splash and go
    Shapton Glass - splash and go
    Shapton Pro - splash and go

13. May 19, 2019 #13
    Suehiro Rika is second from the top under that link. The 6k is a bit further down the page

14. May 19, 2019 #14

inferno

inferno

inferno

depends on the models with bester and suehiro. all shaptons are splash and go.

15. May 19, 2019 #15

inferno

inferno

inferno

what is the actual grit of the rika?? I have read its around 3k if you compare to other stones. is this true?
    if it is so then its not really what krx is looking for right.

16. May 19, 2019 #16

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Rika is a true 5k stone. People with authority on the matter have confirmed it.

17. May 21, 2019 #17

krx927

krx927

krx927

Thanks for all the answers. I gave my friend a list of all recommendations and he is completely lost ;)

I told him to try my Snow White 8k and see how he likes it. It will help him in his decision.

I am still scratching my head how come that so many people like 3-4k edge but for me it does not do it. But to be precise what I mean by cutting onion, I am referring to initial vertical cuts just after you slice it in half. The ones that you do with the tip of the knife. Basically this is my test of a sharpness of the knife. I really like that knife falls through when I do them. At 4k I have slight hesitations when doing these cuts. Later for the cuts where you dice it 4k is ok and I do not do them with the tip but with the center of the blade.
    The exception are my meat slicers where I see that fine edge is not OK. Especially when I try to cut some ligaments in beef. I will try 4k-ish for the Suji next time.

18. Jun 2, 2019 #18

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

Blue Belgian. Small pieces are cheap, larger ones still very reasonable as people prefer the faster Coticule.