Budget Suji comparisons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To those of you that have the Fujiwara carbon suji (probably a god number of people) and/or the Kanehide Bessaku, how do you like yours? IF anyone has experience with both and could offer any sort of comparison, that would be nice. Or any other sujis in that price range that you like.

The Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH are simple but decent carbons. F&F do lack the refinement of a Misono. Steel used to contain quite some sulphur, but since Japanese industrial standards have changed, tolerances have been reduced. They were known as smelly but aren't any longer. The steel hasn't the finest grain but offers some bite, which is no bad thing with a suji. Very easy sharpening, and despite of the coarser grain taking and holding a highly polished edge if wanted. Quite stiff, probably due to the steel, if I compare with a Misono Sweden 270 suji.
Right-handers only.

Don't have those but I do have this one:

https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...-kikumori-240mm-sujihiki-nihonkou-carbon-stee
It can be had in 270 as well. I love it, reach for it often and kick myself for not buying a sujihiki sooner! The SK steel is nice. It is resilient and sharpens readily. I did do a little hand sanding on the spine and along one spot on the tang. Nothing major just something I noticed and was easy to correct so I did it. Nice asymmetric grind that performs very well.

I think some these SK steel and the like knives are something of a hidden gem as performance for price goes.

Shiro Kamo kurochi AS is definitely worth a look. Great knife for the price. Mine is a KnS Shinko Selian. It's my daily driver suji. The sujis unfortunately seem to be out of stock at the moment.

I have been told that the Ku blue2 Shiro Kamos (sometimes called "Black Dragon") are also pretty good, although I haven’t personally used them.

Don't have those but I do have this one:

https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...-kikumori-240mm-sujihiki-nihonkou-carbon-stee
It can be had in 270 as well. I love it, reach for it often and kick myself for not buying a sujihiki sooner! The SK steel is nice. It is resilient and sharpens readily. I did do a little hand sanding on the spine and along one spot on the tang. Nothing major just something I noticed and was easy to correct so I did it. Nice asymmetric grind that performs very well.

I think some these SK steel and the like knives are something of a hidden gem as performance for price goes.
Agree that the sk steel on these is a real winner. For the price you can't go wrong.

Back