Budget training Yanagi/takohiki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corygrapher

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m looking for a budget (under $200) sushi knife to practice cutting, sharpening, thinning, and mirror polishing, etc. Any suggestions on some cheap options with ok quality? Thanks.

Hi there, I’m looking for a budget (under $200) sushi knife to practice cutting, sharpening, thinning, and mirror polishing, etc. Any suggestions on some cheap options with ok quality? Thanks.
I usually hunting on Yahoo Auction, it's a bit hit and misses, sometimes you get the really good stuff, sometimes you get just OK stuff. the problem with cheaper single bevel is usually not straight or warped, lots of low spots, and messed up shinogi line.

I usually hunting on Yahoo Auction, it's a bit hit and misses, sometimes you get the really good stuff, sometimes you get just OK stuff. the problem with cheaper single bevel is usually not straight or warped, lots of low spots, and messed up shinogi line.

we can use yahoo auction in the US?

Are you righty? If not, then that'll change your price range quite a bit.

we can use yahoo auction in the US?
Oh yeah, there is some restriction about Japan Post to the US now. Yes, we could use a third party like Buyee, etc.
there will be a fee, but not too expensive. Also, yes, if it's Lefty, then your budget might be a bit too tight.

Sakai made Single Bevel is usually the better one, less warped etc but not guaranteed. while other regions are usually more likely to have more defects (Sanjo, Echizen, Tosa, Miki), but it is cheaper and could get with better steel for the price.

Oh yeah, there is some restriction about Japan Post to the US now. Yes, we could use a third party like Buyee, etc.
there will be a fee, but not too expensive. Also, yes, if it's Lefty, then your budget might be a bit too tight.

Sakai made Single Bevel is usually the better one, less warped etc but not guaranteed. while other regions are usually more likely to have more defects (Sanjo, Echizen, Tosa, Miki), but it is cheaper and could get with better steel for the price.
Thanks for the input.

Back