Buffing/polishing compound recs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
As some of you may know I'm in the middle of a project that involves bringing a knife to a mirror finish. I intend on bringing the knife to my buffing wheels on my bench grinder once I get the scratch pattern fine enough.

Im finding the compounds I have right now just aren't going to get the job done though. I have a set of them I picked up at lowes. I think they are porter and cable brand, and although they do a great job with soft metals like brass. they aren't doing much on the hardened steel of the knife.

I'm looking on amazon for possible upgrades, and I don't want to waste my money. Does anyone have any direction they can point me in? I see diamond lapping pastes, different buffing compounds (like the classic jewelers rouge type stuff) amoung other stuff, and I just am not confident on what to choose.

Do you think the Woodstock buffing compounds would be similar to the koyo stuff?

Do you think the Woodstock buffing compounds would be similar to the koyo stuff?
I haven't try it. I just check it on amazon that

Woodstock D2902​

extra fine buffing compound has grit of 400-600. Maybe if can find one with 0.5 micron like koyo K-1 it can give you a mirror finish.

I haven't try it. I just check it on amazon that

Woodstock D2902​

extra fine buffing compound has grit of 400-600. Maybe if can find one with 0.5 micron like koyo K-1 it can give you a mirror finish.
It says 400-600 but I have no idea what scale they are going off of, if it's even for the right product. From what I've heard it should give a much finer finish than that.

Either way. I will definitely give koyo a try when I get a chance.

It says 400-600 but I have no idea what scale they are going off of, if it's even for the right product. From what I've heard it should give a much finer finish than that.

Either way. I will definitely give koyo a try when I get a chance.
Koyo is very similar to Flitz. I prefer Flitz, much easier to apply and brings out shine faster

Koyo is very similar to Flitz. I prefer Flitz, much easier to apply and brings out shine faster
Ok that's good because I just got some flitz in today. I also bought 3 new buffing and polishing wheels. It came with 3 new compounds I havent tried yet. It's a black, grey and white one. Black is coarse , grey is medium, white is fine. I've tried those colors before, but different brands can make a huge difference.

Also I got some more 3m wetordry 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and I got a sheet of trizact 3000. I think I'll start back at 1000, go up through the grits. Maybe polish with the wheels, then try some etchant and flitz to see what results I can get.

Ok that's good because I just got some flitz in today. I also bought 3 new buffing and polishing wheels. It came with 3 new compounds I havent tried yet. It's a black, grey and white one. Black is coarse , grey is medium, white is fine. I've tried those colors before, but different brands can make a huge difference.

Also I got some more 3m wetordry 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and I got a sheet of trizact 3000. I think I'll start back at 1000, go up through the grits. Maybe polish with the wheels, then try some etchant and flitz to see what results I can get.
3M Zona is very good.
https://www.amazon.com/37-948-Polis...7&sr=1-1-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6

I actually had something similar that I bought off amazon that was labeled 3m, and had the same backing material, and everything. I did like it, I have just a tiny bit left of a couple sheets. I can't remember the abrasive size or anything on the ones I have left.

Anyway idk if it's actually 3m. But it does have it's uses. I actually found the finer grits to be very useful to use with stone slurry to get a very even kasumi polish on clad knives.

Back