build your unicorn knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Profile: Kato std 240
Steel: Denka AS clad in Shigefusa's old stock soft iron
Grind: Ashi
Handle: Taihei Bird's eye maple with white buffalo

two votes so far for ashi grind. what about is alluring to you guys? all i see is a generic flatish grind, what am i missing here??

barry, why shig cladding? it is super super reactive but you mention old stock, can you elaborate?

His shop does a good convex grind. . . like his apprentice shihan, but thinner.

The ashi honyaki convexing is more consistent than the ginga convexing. I just like convex symmetrical grinds more than assymetrical grinds. I just like thinner knives.

His shop does a good convex grind. . . like his apprentice shihan, but thinner.

The ashi honyaki convexing is more consistent than the ginga convexing. I just like convex symmetrical grinds more than assymetrical grinds. I just like thinner knives.
I wouldn't say Ashi Honyaki have symmetrical convex grinds. My 240 has a subtle right handed bias looking at the choil, and with his work it's all about the subtle detail. Not the best choil shot but the only one I have access to at work (excuse the manky bandaid).

Last edited:
two votes so far for ashi grind. what about is alluring to you guys? all i see is a generic flatish grind, what am i missing here??

barry, why shig cladding? it is super super reactive but you mention old stock, can you elaborate?

Ashi: Beautifully convex often with right hand bias so you get incredible edge strength with a smooth cutting feel- take a look at all of the new takada no hamono knives which are all ground by the Ashi sharpener. To me they are like a trim, toned version of a watanabe grind.
- whilst we're on the topic, if you look at the grinds and honyaki finishes from 'Yohei' on the hitohira site, I wouldn't be surprised to find out Ashi and Yohei are the same person.

With regards to shig, as far as I know he uses old scrap iron to clad his knives that sometimes contain little impurities. Not only do these impurities create subtle patterns in the steel (like a very subtle 9ine wrought iron effect) but supposedly they make it less wear resistant so thinning is a tad easier.

Shig cladding: https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...gefusa-cloud-finally-starting-to-get-it.6256/

Last edited:
Blade: Yoshi black damascus
Grind: Yoshi black damascus
Steel: Yoshi black damascus SLD
Handle and bolster: Rader, but would also take Yoshi black damascus heart-shaped keyaki

it's already a great knife, and the grind makes it easy to maintain.

I'm very blessed in having multiple "unicorn tier" blades but for me.

profile: Tanaka b#2 280 x 59-61 (I know it's not luxury but I use it so much it's my go to)
steel/heat treat: Bill Burke river of fire
grind: dalman
handle: Randy Hass geo handle: bog oak, white liner, mammoth in red.
Saya: carbon fiber interior with bog oak and mammoth inlay exterior, piggy back removable Saya for a mono steel butch Harner 105 mm petty with mammoth handle in blue and a black liner. (Sorry but this unicorn needs a Friend and that would probably be the best $200-$250 add on imaginable) Saya is ginger ninja.

Honestly give me those two and a gude bread sword off the andrack I'd be ok never using any other knives.

Back