Burgvogel Carbon Santoku?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansCaravan

Reaction score
I love my Messermeisters for their beautiful wooden handles and discovered recently that Burgvogel made a run of C75 carbon steel santokus. Are there any sites besides messerspezialist that have any stock? Unfortunately, last I checked, they do not ship outside of the EU. Or am I realistically needing to go secondhand to find something? With my limited German it's hard to find much online, even with Google translate assisting.

Thx

I've seen those before, Benuser. BladeHQ quickly sold out of their inventory and nobody else in the US has them.

Now realising this is the version with dimples. The one I had in mind was the first version, without them.
I than bought a Herder Lignum 3 instead.

I would assume all Herders are stiff along the spine and thin behind the edge? My 1922 is, at least. The Lignum 3 is another option to consider.

The Lignum 3 is made of 1.2519, the same steel as used for the K-series. Quite close to Blue#2. The 1922 are made of C75W, a much simpler steel. Both @60Rc.
One could certainly call the Lignum stiff along the spine and thin behind the edge. Mine is 'nagelgängig', I've no English word for it. If you press with the edge on your nail, it becomes visible on the other side as a minuscule hill.
It's one of the rare santokus where I did not see any damage occurring at the tip when forward slicing as in 'guillotine and glide'. That happens with most santokus I sharpen for friends. With the Lignum the profile isn't deadly flat.

Looks like the Lignum 3 is out of stock almost everywhere at the moment. @KingShapton Why do you think kullenschliffs make thinning easier? I would question the integrity of the edge if the grind is too thin in places.

I didn't say the Kullenschliff makes thinning easier - I said the Kullenschliff leaves more room for thinning.

In order for dimples/kullen to be ground in at all, the knife usually has to be ground thicker than the same knife without kullen. You just need a thicker knife for dimples, otherwise they wouldn't become bulges but holes.

This automatically means that a knife with kullenschliff has more space/material/potential for thinning.

Sorry, I may have expressed myself incorrectly originally.

I would assume all Herders are stiff along the spine and thin behind the edge? My 1922 is, at least. The Lignum 3 is another option to consider.
That is the case for my K5 and K6; surprisingly stiff for a knife that cuts so well due to being proper thin behind the edge.
Herder also has a cheaper softer santoku (think its in C75). But availability (and pricing) in the US for anything Herder is suboptimal...

I can imagine that the lignum is an outgoing model; overlaps too much with other offerings.

Back