Burnt Chestnut?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1k3

Pepperidge Farm's remembers what Matus wrote
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you purchase your burnt Chestnut handles? I seem to be failing with Google-fu. I can only find them installed on knives. Would I have to go custom?

I get them from other knives. Most recent from a masashi sld.

Anyone who has a d shaped burnt chestnut and you opt to get a custom handle, please sell the original one to meeee

Not terribly stuck on the species. Thanks the links. Last I checked JKI didn't have any burnt Chestnut handles for sale on the site.

unicorn handle for me would be if wat would offer his keyaki in d shape..

I can’t decide if it’s even worth it with Sin to upgrade or just order the cheapest standard option and rehandle. Curious what you guys and gals think?

JKI will install burnt chestnut for $70. But they don’t sell handles by themselves. I know there are burnt chestnut fans who might like this option.

Watanabe’s professional section says, “We no longer supply custom handles.” Though some knives are offered with upgraded handles, but I don’t think you can request them on many of them knives. But some still have options.

This thread reminds me that I need to go dig through my old handle box. I think I’ve got at least a couple burnt chestnuts I could get rid of, though I’m pretty sure at least one has the dreaded plastic ferrule. I’ve never understood that combo—does ANYONE love chestnut more than they hate plastic?

No hate plastic. That's part of why like burnt chestnut the horn. That & JKI knives I have are more meaty not those skinny wa's:D

JKI will install burnt chestnut for $70. But they don’t sell handles by themselves. I know there are burnt chestnut fans who might like this option.

Watanabe’s professional section says, “We no longer supply custom handles.” Though some knives are offered with upgraded handles, but I don’t think you can request them on many of them knives. But some still have options.

This thread reminds me that I need to go dig through my old handle box. I think I’ve got at least a couple burnt chestnuts I could get rid of, though I’m pretty sure at least one has the dreaded plastic ferrule. I’ve never understood that combo—does ANYONE love chestnut more than they hate plastic?
Just curious when you last confirmed this with JKI. I thought Jon said that there is a shortage of those handles and I am not sure he is even doing handle work with as busy as he is so curious if you have some kind of recent interaction on this that would verify. Thanks.

Just curious when you last confirmed this with JKI. I thought Jon said that there is a shortage of those handles and I am not sure he is even doing handle work with as busy as he is so curious if you have some kind of recent interaction on this that would verify. Thanks.

I have these handles in stock and we have been able to do rehandling work as it doesn’t slow down our other work at all

I get them from other knives. Most recent from a masashi sld.

Anyone who has a d shaped burnt chestnut and you opt to get a custom handle, please sell the original one to meeee

Great. I’ll take the blade after you shuck the handle off [emoji12]

How hard would it be to replace a plastic ferrule on an existing handle? Or would it even be worth it?
Ibuki Blade has a D Burnt chestnut with a plastic ferrule on their site for $16. No idea about quality or anything.

I was kinda tempted to grab a couple Ho handles from them, but those oak ones from Etsy look really nice.

How hard would it be to replace a plastic ferrule on an existing handle? Or would it even be worth it?
Ibuki Blade has a D Burnt chestnut with a plastic ferrule on their site for $16. No idea about quality or anything.

I was kinda tempted to grab a couple Ho handles from them, but those oak ones from Etsy look really nice.

I'm almost tempted to buy one from them. It's cheap. But then I think, what if it's cheap for a reason. So here I am...

I'm almost tempted to buy one from them. It's cheap. But then I think, what if it's cheap for a reason. So here I am...
It is most likely cheap for a reason, but might still be ok. I’ve seen different types of burned chestnut handles and they are not all created equal. The biggest issues are grain orientation and tightness, transition from wood to ferrule, and how well burnt they are. The transition and burn can be corrected with some effort, but the grain orientation not so much. The handles Jon installs are excellent, I wish he also had D shaped ones, just because I like them.

I have a question about the bunt chestnut handles, are they supposed to be/should they be "reburnt" after years of use? As they lose their rougher texture?

I have a question about the bunt chestnut handles, are they supposed to be/should they be "reburnt" after years of use? As they lose their rougher texture?
That probably depends on the handle maker. As was already mentioned not all burnt chestnut handles are created equal. That roughness is due to heat of the torch opening up the grain, both at a macro as well as the micro level. I can't see any need to reburn the JNS handle I have on my Kato WH. The graining is that deep. That may not be the case with handles from other sources.

Back