Burrfection Commandments?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikehaus

Somebody
Reaction score
Does anybody remember those 'commandments of Burrfection' Reddit post? I remember seeing it one day, but I lost the link.

Slightly controversial opinion:
His information is totally misguiding BUT he does get people into the hobby, and that’s always a positive thing. Once people
are in then they can learn more.
I get what you're saying. You may even be exactly right. But it reads a little like "Global teaches people that knives are really hard to sharpen, so they are relieved when they discover that it's a lot easier than they thought."

Slightly controversial opinion:
His information is totally misguiding BUT he does get people into the hobby, and that’s always a positive thing. Once people
are in then they can learn more.

That's kind and others have made the same argument over the years. Maybe you're right but I don't see it that way.

I believe the people who find him are already wanting to get into the hobby. He isn't, by and large, pulling in those who are otherwise satisfied with their current status.

If someone is curious and seeking information I would MUCH prefer they find so many others, both for knife and sharpening advice. I've encountered far more people who feel disappointed or flustered after following his "guidance" than those who are happy about it and then looking for the next level.

I get what you're saying. You may even be exactly right. But it reads a little like "Global teaches people that knives are really hard to sharpen, so they are relieved when they discover that it's a lot easier than they thought."
That's kind and others have made the same argument over the years. Maybe you're right but I don't see it that way.

I believe the people who find him are already wanting to get into the hobby. He isn't, by and large, pulling in those who are otherwise satisfied with their current status.

If someone is curious and seeking information I would MUCH prefer they find so many others, both for knife and sharpening advice. I've encountered far more people who feel disappointed or flustered after following his "guidance" than those who are happy about it and then looking for the next level.

Both completely valid points and exactly why I phrased that as being controversial.
Seems to me his main draw to the audience is approachability and decent production.

There are plenty of better channels to watch as you mentioned. I wonder what keeps those from growing to an extent that they can properly compete with him. That’d be one way to start giving out better information.

Both completely valid points and exactly why I phrased that as being controversial.
Seems to me his main draw to the audience is approachability and decent production.

There are plenty of better channels to watch as you mentioned. I wonder what keeps those from growing to an extent that they can properly compete with him. That’d be one way to start giving out better information.

I think his prior affiliation with Cutlery and More really boosted his presence.

nevermind-walk-away.gif

That was a beautiful read. Ryky was my introduction to sharpening with stones (outside of curmudgeonly old wood workers where it was an accessory topic to performing wood working). I no longer watch his stuff, but I’m probably still subscribed to him

Pls tell me it's lack of sleep and I'm not really reading a ricki ticki thread on this forum....

Daaaaaaavvvvveee... Daaaavvvveeee... Ryky has the perfect knife for your new GF... No to @M1k3 ... Yes to Ryky... Dalstrong Dave... Don't flatten your stones Dave... So simple Dave... Just listen to Ryky...

Full disclosure: I watched a bunch of his stuff at the beginning. Production was probably the best and most watchable at surface level. I found myself thinking that this has to be deeper than he makes it out to be. Also lots of random unwatchable stuff.

People who watch might dig deeper, some might not. I did, and found this place, and have hopefully contributed in some meaningful way to at least someone. To me, if I’ve helped a single person the whole choking through his videos was worth it.

FWIW, of course.

If this is a therapy session, sadly I wasted cash on he-shall-not-be-named’s recommendations before I discovered KKF and the kind folks here told me about Jon’s awesome sharpening series.
If only Jon’s vids were ranked higher on YouTube there would be more souls saved.
I’d like to watch this video. Can you give me a better description or a link if allowed? Thanks.

What does Ryky have? Charisma. Ryky has charisma and good video quality. I got hooked on his videos after buying several knives from Cutlery and Moore.

I enjoyed watching his videos and picked up a set of Shapton stones as a result. Now I keep my knives in good working order.

I hope I didn’t watch too many to pick up any bad habits. Mostly I think I have just enjoyed watching them and simply improved what I was taught many years ago by watching others more skilled than I. There were no videos or YouTube back then, I just gravitated towards the guys who had sharp knives and had them show me what to do. Also no technical terminology, just an older guy saying, “No, do it like this.” And then he’d show me again.

I ended up here because of member cross affiliation at Badger & Blade, not because of Ryky.

No ill will and I look forward to watching Jon’s videos.

Back