Burrfection's New Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But at least I cannot see, from comments I read here, that anyone has managed to give any good reasons for dismissing him (yes Carter, Korin etc etc are all better, but so what?).

Carter, Korin, and Jon (et al) aren’t pretenders.

Last edited:
Mac Pro steel is good, it seems to do a decent job in all categories. I wouldn’t say I prefer it over some stuff on the market labeled “Swedish stainless” or ginsanko.

But at least I cannot see, from comments I read here, that anyone has managed to give any good reasons for dismissing him

My default is not to like something unless I have a good reason for dismissing it. Rather, I go in neutral and look for the good or the bad. With the kid all I see is slick video and content without merit. But it's not something I lose sleep over.

Tall poppy syndrome hmmm ...Ricky’s harmless enough ... if it cuts wet newsprint , it’s good enough for me

You nailed it. He just talks forever, trying to make the best expression, but it takes ages until some actual information leaves his mouth. And even if that information is relevant or even helpful - it still feels like it is second to the whole show. I think many of us simply expect information presented in a fairly condensed manner, not a single man talkshow.

He is by nature a professional sales manager. I mean it in a positive sense of the word. He has qualities that most of us don’t. But watching his videos feels like watching moose grow in a real time.

I don't mind a little character dialogue, but, don't forget I'm here for the videos ti
I see what you mean about Burrfection (sum up: long videos, little - sometimes even bad - content). Still, that doesn’t quite explain the aversion (not thinking of you in particular, so do not take it personally). The level of aversion is not quite proportionate to the level of his alleged inadequacies. If he is pretty bad, well go ahead and dislike him. Just don’t claim it has anything to do with some mistakes he has done in his excessively long videos!
Is it not simply the case that many of you guys picking on Burrfection simply do not like that he does what he does - end of story? That is of course fine! But at least I cannot see, from comments I read here, that anyone has managed to give any good reasons for dismissing him (yes Carter, Korin etc etc are all better, but so what?).

He's a decent YouTube personality/salesman with some, some (from the videos I watched) actually useful tips sporadically thrown in. And for a lot of people, not on these forums, he works for them. Unfortunately for him, I think Helen Rennie is much better to learn from for more mainstream, less knife enthusiast types. Good character without a lot of unnecessary fluff.

I have Kamikoto knives. Not one thing wrong with them. I have plenty of expertise, so unless you hold one and use it, no real need to disparage it. Burrfection, on the other hand is a sales jockey.

This is what i find most interesting about this thread. Someone with kamikoto knives. Tell me more about these and perhaps put some context into their prices and what you think about them.

Since he's getting 100 of each, I think that the retail pricing is actually . . . ok. But I really don't like the KS profile (too suji like for a gyuto). Also I don't know how much QC he would do. He's generally ok. I mean. . . he's in the general right track and there are far worse things he could be shilling under his name. Like if he had a Ryky model Dalstrong. That would be gross. But Sakai Takayuki is a reputable company, even if the specific knives he's promoting aren't made by the certified dentou kokougeishi, and even if they were, they're probably not their best work. The price range is about right.

It's ok as a gateway wa-handle knife to a newbie. Not ideal. But ok. Maybe good for some people.

It's not super competitive as a knife a regular user on this forum would buy.

I imagine a whole bunch of people will find the ks profile too pokey and chip the tip, but oh well. I've handle the sakai takayuki grand chef wa gyuto, and that thing is thinner than a ginga at the same size (210). A tad softer, but much higher fit and finish. The handle seemed nicer too, and half rounded. Would I get it? I would still choose a ginga again, cause steel and I know the grind will probably be better convexed.

If anything, some of his background is here:
https://dailybruin.com/2012/01/25/s...ization_with_mission_to_help_feed_the_hungry/

Which is say, helps explain his social-first instead of knife-quality, culture, and-use sort of persona. A different category of folks.

Also yes, his first name is Ryky, not Ricky.

I think people should stop picking on AUS8. The steel is quite good actually. It's durable and still takes a nice edge. Sure, the retention won't be the greatest, but I've never had a problem sharpening it either. I would most definitely buy another AUS8 knife if it's sold by top notch sellers like Jon.

Wow. This one blew up. I mainly want to defend the original post a little. I wouldn't have posted if he seemed to be pushing crap. Or I would have posted in the knuckleheads thread. The fact that this wasn't Dalstrong but a genuine reputable quality producer makes it kind of interesting.

I won't be buying one. I don't care about the KS one way or the other. I don't care about supporting Ricky/Ryky one way or the other.

I also want to clarify a few things based on my remembrances from the video (which could be faulty). I think it's a 240mm knife for under $200US. The catch is he's giving his Patreon peeps first dibs. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't already pre sold them all to his loyal subscribers.

Also interesting, I think this is probably a trial run for a Burrfection webstore. I know I wouldn't go through the trouble of negotiating with multiple companies, evaluating a bunch of prototypes, setting up shipping, distribution, web store for processing credit cards and all that goes into it and then just stop after 200 knives. He could be CK2G junior. Who knows?

Is it not simply the case that many of you guys picking on Burrfection simply do not like that he does what he does - end of story? That is of course fine! But at least I cannot see, from comments I read here, that anyone has managed to give any good reasons for dismissing him (yes Carter, Korin etc etc are all better, but so what?).

I can't speak for anyone else, but what I find annoying is that he's typical of a modern breed of YouTube "influencers" who gain a massive following by having an attractive personality, better than average video production skills, and at the same time only a halfway decent understanding of the topic. Not really a "master" level of understanding, although it's often presented that way.

Not just this particular channel or about knives. It's a plague of hyped information and instruction on YouTube for every possible hobby and interest, because it's so easily monetized by ads. With a popular channel, you get ad income no matter how good or bad the information is.

It can get a little annoying for those of us who know something about a subject, not masters ourselves, but can recognize someone else who is basically winging it.

So why settle for something else that's probably worse in order to save $60?
Yes. On the other hand, some people might have a budget of $200 and just be able to stretch that to $240. There is almost always something better for not that much more. I mean, why would I settle for the $300 Watanabe when, for just a few dollars more, I could get a TF or some such? Where does it stop?

I used to watch burrfection when I first started, but stopped after he:
1. kept reusing videos/clips in multiple videos
2. Kept promoting dalstrong/yaxell stuff
3. clickbaity titles
4. rambled on a **** ton.
5. Does "top 10 _____/Best ___" videos when all the products are sponsored

Its true that he gives a disclaimer of "I"m not an expert," and he probably has a great deal of experience after years of daily sharpening, but it is irresponsible for him to do his "top 10" or "best knives" videos when he is only giving reviews on mostly sponsored items(shun, yaxell, dalstrong, suehiro, zwilling/henckels(miyabi, kramer), etc). Although its not a big deal to some, it does lead newer people into buying subpar or overly expensive products without giving a well rounded view into different products, steels, regional differences, etc. Nothing against him, and I'm glad hes doing well and getting more people into the hobby, just wish he would sell out less and use his exposure to explore more things besides mass produced knives.

Yes. On the other hand, some people might have a budget of $200 and just be able to stretch that to $240. There is almost always something better for not that much more. I mean, why would I settle for the $300 Watanabe when, for just a few dollars more, I could get a TF or some such? Where does it stop?

That, my friend, is why KKF'ers talk about "go down the rabbit hole". Our desires have no ceiling, really. Anyway, i have a 210mm Denka gyuto, and it's not, in my oppinion, better than a 210mm Watanabe pro in blue#2 although it costs $200 more. Opinions apart, i think we can agree that both are nice blades, but i feel that starting from something like Watanabe pro, the marginal gain won't be much. It doesn't mean we can't try a Kramer for $30,000 as long as our pocket is deep enough and we are aware that there's no performance justification for it.

Last edited:
Realistically, I can get an absolutely superb knife for $200 to $300. It'll cut extremely well, hold its edge very well, have whatever profile I like, with any handle shape I desire, and be made from pretty much any steel I want.

Go above $300, and we are moving into the realm of collectibles, rarity, and vanity. I do own some knives that cost more than that, so I'm guilty as charged. Those knives are prettier, rarer, have special wood for the handle, whatever. But, in my experience, they don't noticeably work better than a knife for $300.

Over $300, the law of diminishing returns kicks in with full force…

Realistically, I can get an absolutely superb knife for $200 to $300. It'll cut extremely well, hold its edge very well, have whatever profile I like, with any handle shape I desire, and be made from pretty much any steel I want.

Go above $300, and we are moving into the realm of collectibles, rarity, and vanity. I do own some knives that cost more than that, so I'm guilty as charged. Those knives are prettier, rarer, have special wood for the handle, whatever. But, in my experience, they don't noticeably work better than a knife for $300.

Over $300, the law of diminishing returns kicks in with full force…

This sort of applies to a lot of hobbies. I feel like $300 is a magic diminishing returns number for usability to luxury.

Try cars… Being addicted to knives is dirt-cheap in comparison! ;)

Haha ok, being fair, certain smaller, sometimes hand made things, I think the appropriate sweetspot for quality is when a layman expecting to spend 2 digits looks at the pricetag and gasps slightly, which is somewhere between 250 and 500.

Go above $300, and we are moving into the realm of collectibles, rarity, and vanity. I do own some knives that cost more than that, so I'm guilty as charged.

I can't blame you for that as i'm guilty as well. If cost/benefit is your goal, it would be hard to justify going much higher than $300. At that price point, Watanabe, Heiji, Gesshin Kochi, and Gesshin Gengetsu are amazing in my opinion. However, two of my favorite blades are above that limit. My main concern now is that i can tell the difference instead of imagine it. For wine there are blind tastings, but what do we have regarding knives? It's known our brain might perceive an experience as better only because we are told the products we use to have that experience are more expensive.

Anyway, back to OP's question, i wouldn't buy from burrfection right now mainly due to lack of confidence on his methods/knowledge. Maybe one day i will, but not now. In my logic, if i spend more, but the experience is nice, it was worth it. However, a bad experience is bad, it doesn't matter if you spend less.

I'm really hoping that someone here will buy one of those knives, so we can get a first-hand account of how well they work. My prediction: pretty well, simply because of who makes them.

This is what i find most interesting about this thread. Someone with kamikoto knives. Tell me more about these and perhaps put some context into their prices and what you think about them.
These were recommended to me by the exec chef of Bacchanalia in Atlanta. I bought a couple of kits and found them to be great knives. They hold an edge just fine and are a slightly softer steel, so easy to re-edge. As far as their marketing ploy, they try to hype the fact there is no middleman so they can use some inflated numbers to draw in buyers. This tactic puts people off. So, without even trying a knife, they get all commers deciding that 420J2 steel is ****, so therefore these are mass produced Chinese drivel. I certainly know the difference between these knives and a boutique knife. They are worth what I paid for them and I'm happy to recommend them

Last edited:

I'd pay more for the Wat any day than anything from tf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back