Buy and sell etiquette.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this both ways, sold some and bought things on here for above US retail price.

Even if I pay 20%+ to a seller in Europe, I'm still saving $20 on the US retail. You see, there's not just VAT to consider, we also pay a fee for the privilege of being charged it!

The other thing is that you'll sometimes see a saya, handle upgrade or other work done to the knife which elevate it over a new one. The cost of these things adds up and it sometimes isn't immediately apparent how much someone is into a knife for.

Right but again, I don't think that is what the OP had in mind. The idea in this case would be you buying a product from someone in the EU that is above EU retail including tax, which would just be silly, wouldn't it?

As for handle upgrades and sayas etc. Extras add extra cost and I don't think most people would debate that. But say Bob in Nebraska is asking $150 for a Misono Swedish with average wear plus shipping and paypal fees. Also, he is only willing to ship to the lower 48. You can spin this and say it is all within the UK as well if you want, that is fine. Regardless, it seems silly when I can buy the same knife for $140-170 shipped depending on where I order it. These sorts of ads, while not the norm, do exist.

As an aside, I loved ordering from shops in England while in the EU because we did not have to pay any extra import fees etc and even after standard taxes and shipping products were still cheaper, in many cases. Example, waterstones if you could find them in Spain were insanely priced. Winter jackets and stuff too.

Right but again, I don't think that is what the OP had in mind. The idea in this case would be you buying a product from someone in the EU that is above EU retail including tax, which would just be silly, wouldn't it?

I was more trying to illustrate that there can be other factors involved in the value.

For me it comes down to the motivations of the seller, which are ultimately unknowable. If he's trying to take advantage of an unsuspecting customer, that is bad, but we can't know if that's the intention.

Ultimately, if it's too expensive it won won't sell, so no harm done.

I'm not sure if I'd consider it rude either. I don't see it as opportunism, as people do not need the knife being offered and while it's not charitable behaviour, I don't see it as being immoral.

Price gouging is often illegal and I would agree usually immoral and falls into the realm of profiteering. This would apply in cases where resources are in short supply due to a sudden shock (such as a natural disaster) and sellers choose to take advantage those people in desperate situations, but that does not apply here, no one is in desperate need of that particular knife.

In my experience, and again I've been on both sides of this, if the price is too high someone will let you know and most people will adjust down as it was an unintentional mistake.

There is a cognitive bias to overvalue your own belongings, so I would assume that is more a case of that, coupled with lack of knowledge than people intentionally trying to take advantage of others.

So long as the price is clearly stated and both sides are in agreement of that price, from a moral perspective, it really does not matter what the price point is. If there were hidden extra charges or anything fraudulent then it would of course be immoral.

Taking emotion out of this and thinking about it rationally, I would conclude that for a non-essential good, in the absence of fraud, deception, and coercion , and in the presence of a willing buyer and a willing seller, any price of a good or service is a fair and just price.

I was more trying to illustrate that there can be other factors involved in the value.

For me it comes down to the motivations of the seller, which are ultimately unknowable. If he's trying to take advantage of an unsuspecting customer, that is bad, but we can't know if that's the intention.

Ultimately, if it's too expensive it won won't sell, so no harm done.

I'm not sure if I'd consider it rude either. I don't see it as opportunism, as people do not need the knife being offered and while it's not charitable behaviour, I don't see it as being immoral.

Price gouging is often illegal and I would agree usually immoral and falls into the realm of profiteering. This would apply in cases where resources are in short supply due to a sudden shock (such as a natural disaster) and sellers choose to take advantage those people in desperate situations, but that does not apply here, no one is in desperate need of that particular knife.

In my experience, and again I've been on both sides of this, if the price is too high someone will let you know and most people will adjust down as it was an unintentional mistake.

There is a cognitive bias to overvalue your own belongings, so I would assume that is more a case of that, coupled with lack of knowledge than people intentionally trying to take advantage of others.

So long as the price is clearly stated and both sides are in agreement of that price, from a moral perspective, it really does not matter what the price point is. If there were hidden extra charges or anything fraudulent then it would of course be immoral.

Taking emotion out of this and thinking about it rationally, I would conclude that for a non-essential good, in the absence of fraud, deception, and coercion , and in the presence of a willing buyer and a willing seller, any price of a good or service is a fair and just price.

That is a fine way to look at it and I get it but for me it isn't about deception or fraud but savings. To me it is illogical to pay new prices for used gear. The exceptions aside.

[....]

That is a fine way to look at it and I get it but for me it isn't about deception or fraud but savings. To me it is illogical to pay new prices for used gear. The exceptions aside.

Both very good posts that I agree with.

I rarely buy anything (not just talking about knives but everything else too) used unless it's at a very good price savings. When I buy new from a retailer, I usually have the recourse of returning for a refund or getting a credit card chargeback if there is a substantial problem requiring return. I also find that in general most people do not take care of their belongings as well as I do, so sometimes I wouldn't be interested in specific used items at any price even free.

One thing to note that is true here and other enthusiast forums I visit is the slow death of "buddy deals". Which only makes sense as the internet grows and each forum grows. I'm a relative newcomer here, but in other areas of interest I used to be able to know almost everybody or know of everybody who was an enthusiast that I might B/S/T with. So I'd give a "buddy deal" to them when selling.

Now I pretty much restrict buddy deals to people who I am personal friends with as I prefer not to see something I sold at a buddy deal price recently being resold for a good profit not too long afterwards. Life happens, so it's understandable this happens sometimes when somebody poor like me needs funds in an emergency.

Back