Buying a Kurosaki in Tokyo

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by stephen129, Jan 14, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2020 #1

stephen129

stephen129

stephen129

My friend is going to Japan later this year and has offered to get me stuff I want.

I saw they opened this new knife shop that sells Kurosakis amongst other knives (they look like they're mostly Takefu guys (there's a big picture of all of them)

https://seisukeknifekappabashi.com/

Does anyone know if it'll be much cheaper? I'm specifically looking at the Kurosaki shizuku R2 bunka 165mm I'm in the UK and would buy off knives and stones, it's £168 there, but that doesn't include shipping, currency exchange from AUS or any custom charges.

2. Jan 14, 2020 #2

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

stephen129 likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2020 #3

TRPV4

TRPV4

TRPV4

oh cheers I have a friend heading to Japan as well. Let me email them first

4. Jan 14, 2020 #4

stephen129

stephen129

stephen129

Good idea, I've emailed them, cheers.

5. Jan 18, 2020 #5

KenHash

KenHash

KenHash

When you email them at info@seisukeknifekappabashi.com
    ask them if they offer TAX FREE for Foreign Tourists.
    Many stores offer that. If yes, make sure your friend has his passport with him
    to be exempt from the 10% Sales Tax. (Actually carrying your passport as a 90day visitor requires you to carry your passport with you. )

6. Jan 21, 2020 #6

Moooza

Moooza

Moooza

I found some knives to be more expensive there (Kappabashi) than online.

Another example, I bought a Sukenari, directly from Sukenari in Nagoya. Price was roughly the same (slightly more expensive) than I could have gotten online.

At a high tourist zone (it was Tokyo tower I think), they had a stall selling some knives. They had Kurosaki, and they were at least 50% more expensive than online.

Maybe directly at the factory it's different, but any type of store in my limited experience, isn't going to be cheaper.

7. Jan 21, 2020 #7

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

Were you at Tower Knives at Sky Tree? I don't know of a knife place near Tokyo Tower.

Ken is right that you should absolutely ask for the tax exemption. However, a lot of places don't offer it (even though they should). Some won't do it unless you spend a minimum of 5,000 yen (which isn't hard with any decent kitchen knife). I had a place in Kappabashi tell me "there's no tax--we pay it for you" which is total BS and just a way to avoid giving the tax exemption (I'm sure it requires some extra paperwork on their part.)

In general, I don't expect to get any kind of a significant discount buying in Japan, but it is more interesting to buy in person, and gives a stronger connection to the knife (IMO). And a lot of places can chisel your name on your knife. Some will translate the sounds of your name to kanji with a nice meaning in Japanese.

8. Jan 21, 2020 #8

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

I sent Kurosaki-San a message earlier today, asking where to buy his knives in Tokyo, and he replied with pics of Seisuke, so I’d say that’s a good bet!

Please let us know what your friend finds for prices.

9. Jan 21, 2020 #9

osakajoe

osakajoe

osakajoe

Tower knives is near sky tree not Tokyo tower. I don’t believe their Tokyo shop carries any Kurosaki knives.

Kurosaki and Takefu usually give better deals when he exports. I don’t know the reason for this. Domestic buyers usually pay more for his knives. This is why Takefu guys are known more outside of Japan as they focus on export not the domestic market. You really can’t find many of their knives in Japan

Chicagohawkie and ojisan like this.
  10. Jan 21, 2020 #10

Moooza

Moooza

Moooza

Yes, Sky Tree! I wasn't sure, it was about three years ago. They had a 50% premium there over local Aussie prices.

11. Jan 21, 2020 #11

ynot1985

ynot1985

ynot1985

It really depends what you are after. I asked Kurosaki in person once in Japan and he asked me where I was from and he actually told me to buy from his overseas distributors instead for the knife I was after

12. Jan 21, 2020 #12

drsmp

drsmp

drsmp

Supporting Member

Cross check with Knives and Stones prices. If James carries what you’re looking for it will probably be less with him. Jappany is usually pricey (at least online) but they get some unique knives from Yu

13. Jan 25, 2020 #13

gollux

gollux

gollux

I'm glad I found this thread - I'll be going to Japan in a few months and was thinking of buying a Kurosaki there, but this makes me think it will be cheaper to buy it now. And sooner!

14. Jan 25, 2020 #14

slickmamba

slickmamba

slickmamba

in my experience, its not usually cheaper. Or if it is, just barely.

gollux likes this.
  15. Feb 7, 2020 #15

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

I went to Seisuke a few days ago. They were nice, friendly, and attentive. Definitely a focus on Echizen/Takefu, but not exclusively. They had every single knife labeled by maker, steel, size, which was nice.
    Prices, not surprisingly, were not particularly low. Here are some sample of approximate Yu Kurosaki prices in yen, all 240 gyutos:
    R2 hammered, 35K
    Fujin VG10, 39K
    Raijin Cobalt special steel, 42K
    Shizuku R2, 38K

Makoto Kurosakis were all sold out.

Handle offerings varied on each line--this may be up to each seller to decide. There were also some knives with upgraded handles. A week or two ago, Yu Kurosaki posted some blingy blue dyed western handled knives on IG. Seisuke had a bunch of them, but they were pretty pricey (I saw prices in the 50-60K+ range, didn't look at them long.
    No tax refunds given. The prices above include tax, but they won't refund it. They said they will probably start collecting tax separately in the near future, which would be added to current prices.

gollux likes this.
  16. Feb 7, 2020 #16

gollux

gollux

gollux

That's really useful information - thanks.

I'm a bit surprised at how expensive these prices are relative to what's available outside Japan.

17. Feb 7, 2020 #17

toddnmd

toddnmd

toddnmd

Supporting Member

Well, as mentioned by others, there aren't that many places to buy Kurosakis in Japan. Mostly in Takefu, and now Seisuke. I think meeting him in person in Takefu would have way more appeal, but it's fairly out of the way for the vast majority of travelers.

gollux likes this.
  18. Feb 7, 2020 #18

gollux

gollux

gollux

Sure, I suppose that makes sense. I am tempted to pay the man a visit, though! I'll be near enough later this year...

Draft saved Draft deleted