Quantcast

Buying a new laser, would you buy left hand ground for double bevel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

MWhtrader

Reaction score
I am going to buy a laser, the only question left is if its worth it to buy a left handed one vs a right handed one.

The only reason why I am considering is that, I have never used a lefty knife. All the knives I have are nearly flat on the left face, and some type of curve on the right side. I dont know if it even makes a difference, but I have no experience with a left ground knife.

I am most likely going to buy a Konosuke HD gyuto, or maybe the kiritsuke gyuto. mainly for pure performance purposes.

Anyone have experience with an off-hand knife in the main hand vs knife with the same bias as the main hand?

Thank, any opinions are much appreciated.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
I have a Konosuke HD gyuto, and I run a 90/10 left hand biased edge on it. Works wonderfully for me.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
If u have the funds to buy a lefty, do it, if only to try it. I have a left-handed Del Ealy Gyuto and the left handed release is noticeable.

Pesky

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Are the Konos ground asymmetrically on the blades faces with a right hand bias?

Rottman

Hobbyist Craftsman
Reaction score
+1 what Pesky said.

Btw. there was someone a while back - a righty - complaining his Konosuke HD gyuto was essentially lefty ground, i.e. right side flat and left side convex.

Edit: found it here

cowboyardee

Reaction score
I have a lefty ground Yusuke. The difference in release is subtle but noticeable - probably not quite as much a difference as you would notice with a beefier knife with a more pronounced convex face. The markup wasn't too bad. But especially since it's my only lefty ground knife, going for the left option has made it feel a lot more 'special' to me, and I'm glad I went that way. It's a real pleasure to use.