Buying directly from Tadakoro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I'm on order for an oversized 240 blue 1, non mirror kasumi. Was going back and forth, mirror or no mirror, blue 1, white 1...and even though I already have a lot of blue, it's my favorite "simple" carbon...so why not have another...and thought the normal kasumi also looks really nice, and stray scratches won't bother me as much.

Asked for 240 edge length and 57-58mm of height, who wants to join me on the hype train? Now just gotta wait a quick 5 months...

By the way, I'm on order for an oversized 240 blue 1, non mirror kasumi. Was going back and forth, mirror or no mirror, blue 1, white 1...and even though I already have a lot of blue, it's my favorite "simple" carbon...so why not have another...and thought the normal kasumi also looks really nice, and stray scratches won't bother me as much.

Asked for 240 edge length and 57-58mm of height, who wants to join me on the hype train? Now just gotta wait a quick 5 months...
hopped on a similar boat over the week for a real 240 b1, mirror + kiritsuke though. and yeah, 150 days dang it!

hopped on a similar boat over the week for a real 240 b1, mirror + kiritsuke though. and yeah, 150 days dang it!
Perfect spec, Would have done that if I didnt have my 225. I should have just said normal 240 on that one because it's actually like a 210 edge length. Oh well, 210 still a decent size

Perfect spec, Would have done that if I didnt have my 225. I should have just said normal 240 on that one because it's actually like a 210 edge length. Oh well, 210 still a decent size
right, 'Sakai 240' is a pretty handy size. But for first order+kiritsuke+mirror, I'd just all in to something bigger (even considered 270 but that endagers the living situation of my sujis :D).

These knives are really sexy and priced quite reasonably. The grinds and profiles look really nice. Each time I look at them I get all twitchy but then I start questioning things...

Mainly, are knives like these lost on me? I don't polish or focus over kasumi and crisp shinogi and such so I always end up passing. Maybe I'm being stupid in that sense but it's reality.

Do these perform as good as they look?

Are Tadakoro's bevels concave, flat or convex?
From what Iā€™ve seen slightly convex, but close to flat.

Do these perform as good as they look?
After around two years, my gyuto performs extremely well but doesnā€™t look so nice anymore cause I donā€™t care about polishing. Some low spots but these are cosmetic issues.

From what Iā€™ve seen slightly convex, but close to flat.

After around two years, my gyuto performs extremely well but doesnā€™t look so nice anymore cause I donā€™t care about polishing. Some low spots but these are cosmetic issues.

Thank you. How would you describe they way the perform? I know that can be hard to do as it can be subjective.

Thank you. How would you describe they way the perform? I know that can be hard to do as it can be subjective.
Sorry, somehow completely forgot to reply. I agree with what @blokey said. I ordered mine with a wider bevel than usual so it has a very solid feel to it that is quite a bit different from the very thin concave grinds of e.g. kagekiyo. Despite this, it cuts through everything from tomatoes or peppers to carrots or potatoes very precisely and effortlessly and whenever I grab it I canā€™t help but think that it performs better than it should. The bevels are quite smooth to minimize wedging so unless i cut huge carrots or other tall and dense produce, thereā€™s no wedging. Also, it has become better with sharpening (but looks banged up now after fixing a low spot - yes, some flaws are hidden which is one of the problems from buying directly from makers). The handle is a bit longer than I would like but it is one of the best balanced knives Iā€™ve ever used.

Last edited:
Sorry, somehow completely forgot to reply. I agree with what @blokey said. I ordered mine with a wider bevel than usual so it has a very solid feel to it that is quite a bit different from e.g. the very thin convex grinds of kagekiyo. Despite this, it cuts through everything from tomatoes or peppers to carrots or potatoes very precisely and effortlessly and whenever I grab it I canā€™t help but think that it performs better than it should. The bevels are quite smooth to minimize wedging so unless i cut huge carrots or other tall and dense produce, thereā€™s no wedging. Also, it has become better with sharpening (but looks banged up now after fixing a low spot). The handle is a bit longer than I would like but it is one of the best balanced knives Iā€™ve ever used.

Thank you.

I just ordered a 270mm Ginsan Gyuto from Tadokoro-San, as always a pleasure to work with, after pointing out some pricing errors on the website, Michiko and Makoto San generously offered me a free saya, the waiting period is 30-60 days, tho I made no modifications to original specs (255 x 52 mm)

I ordered a Ginsan Gyuto from Tadokoro-San around end of the July, but they got some problems with the billets they received, and canā€™t finish them on time, so Michiko offered me a free upgrade to SG2 and a free saya. Needless to say Iā€™m very happy, the knife is amazing with mirror polish, cuts very well and should retain the edge well too. I can whole heartedly recommend buying from them.
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg

I ordered a Ginsan Gyuto from Tadokoro-San around end of the July, but they got some problems with the billets they received, and canā€™t finish them on time, so Michiko offered me a free upgrade to SG2 and a free saya. Needless to say Iā€™m very happy, the knife is amazing with mirror polish, cuts very well and should retain the edge well too. I can whole heartedly recommend buying from them.
View attachment 282421View attachment 282422View attachment 282423
I have to message Tadokoro, I didn't know they were doing SG2, since they source their blades from Nakagawa. I wonder where that blade came from

View attachment 282421View attachment 282422View attachment 282423
Some updates, I like it a lot, it is a really well rounded cutter. Smooth and still authoritative. The release is really good, and least suction in my collections.

Back