Buying directly from Tadakoro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After hearing so many nice things about his knife, I kind want to try one, but not many shops in NA carry them. I just found out he does have a webshop and the price is surprisingly good, from my limited understanding of Japanese it seems possible to ship overseas. Does anyone have experience buying from him directly? Thanks in advance!
https://www.tadokorohamono-marushin888.com/product

I never have, but looking at his site there’s a knife I’m interested in. No surprise :rolleyes:

Let us know if you buy anything from him, how the process goes, and what the knife is like. :)

Last edited:
I have a few knives for my store coming directly from Tadokoro Hamono. They have been great to deal with in that regard. I didn't order anything customized so everything was supplied quickly.

I have a few knives for my store coming directly from Tadokoro Hamono. They have been great to deal with in that regard. I didn't order anything customized so everything was supplied quickly.
Thank you! I tried to order, but shipping fee is 10000 yen which is quite expensive, I don't have nearly enough knowledge of Japanese to communicate with them, is this the default shipping fee?

Thank you! I tried to order, but shipping fee is 10000 yen which is quite expensive, I don't have nearly enough knowledge of Japanese to communicate with them, is this the default shipping fee?
Mr. Tadokoro and his wife who does the business and communication part are great to deal with indeed and the knives have some of the best f&f that I’ve seen. Definitely some of the best wide bevel knives out there and he actually caters for the wishes of customers. So what I would do is sending them a mail directly and specify what you’d like to have and ask about shipping costs. The 10000 yen seems to be a default so chances are that they’ll only charge the actual costs if you ask directly. Not sure how much English they speak but I’m sure they’ll be happy to try their best. If communication is difficult, I should be able to help.

Mr. Tadokoro and his wife who does the business and communication part are great to deal with indeed and the knives have some of the best f&f that I’ve seen. Definitely some of the best wide bevel knives out there and he actually caters for the wishes of customers. So what I would do is sending them a mail directly and specify what you’d like to have and ask about shipping costs. The 10000 yen seems to be a default so chances are that they’ll only charge the actual costs if you ask directly. Not sure how much English they speak but I’m sure they’ll be happy to try their best. If communication is difficult, I should be able to help.
Thank you for the advice! I just sent them a mail with both English and DeepL translation, hope I can get some reply soon.

He actually does double beveled Usuba which is kind interesting, especially there is actually an option for double beveled Kamagata Usuba.

He actually does double beveled Usuba which is kind interesting, especially there is actually an option for double beveled Kamagata Usuba.
That is the exact knife I was thinking about!

I have previously wanted a kamagata tip on a nakiri, but had never seen one. When thinking about it more, I decided a double bevel usuba with a more flat blade profile is what I wanted.

When you posted the link yesterday I saw that he made one! I was very excited to see this. This is the only other one I’ve seen other than the cheap one at CKTG.

I am already in talks to have a custom one made, but if they decline, I may order one. :) If so, I’ll also some questions before I do.

Are you ordering one?

Last edited:
That is the exact knife I was thinking about!

I have previously wanted Kamagata tip on a nakiri, but had never seen one. When thinking about it more, I decided a double bevel usuba with a more flat blade profile is what I wanted.

When you posted the link yesterday I saw that he made one! I was very excited to see this. This is the only other one I’ve seen other than the cheap one at CKTG.

I am already in talks to have a custom one made, but not, I may order one here. If so, I’ll also some questions before I do.

Are you ordering one?
I'm still more interested in a gyuto since I'm really not huge on Nakiri, but if I ordered one I will definitely post it here.

BTW: I find the Kikumori Yugiri kind does the nakiri with a tip role for me, but it is not as flat, more of a very gentle continuous curve.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...giri-for-sakai-wide-bevels.59991/#post-925003

Can we request who forges the knives? Or do they specificy what maker for what knife? I am seriously thinking about a Nakagawa honyaki version.

Can we request who forges the knives? Or do they specificy what maker for what knife? I am seriously thinking about a Nakagawa honyaki version.
He mostly works with the blades forged by Mr. Nakagawa so the smith won’t be an issue! But I don’t know whether he makes honyaki or not but it’s very much worth asking. Curious to know if he does!

I had chatted with Michiko Tadokoro (Makoto's wife) a couple times and they used to get their blades from Shiraki which now Nakagawa. Their shipping cost is indeed a bit pricey which used to be around $50 and now $75 USD. Before I was planning to order an Yanagi directly from them but I ended up get it from an US retailer instead which was cheaper.

Tadokoro's knives' fit and finish are very amazing. I think he was trained under Morihiro-san from Sakai.

Thanks, I was hoping that was the case. I know they worked with Nakagawa, as Knifewear has a sujihiki I was interested in. But I wasn’t sure if they also worked with other smiths. I would like to have a knife from both Nakagawa and Tadokoro in my collection, so this seems like a no brainer. Double win :)

To save on the shipping cost you could use a proxy such as FromJapan to order and ship to it to you, FromJapan does cost 300 yen per a item service fee.

Tadokoro does free shipping within Japan and the shipping cost with FromJapan around 4000 yen with EMS to the US for me (the shipping cost will depends on which carrier you select).

It depends on the country.

I’m in Canada. I was just trying to order some new chisels from Japan, and I was just told Japan still doesn’t offer postal service shipping to Canada. It stopped during Covid due to the lack of commercial flights and cargo availability, and it hasn’t been restarted yet.

So vendors are forced to use FedEx, DHL etc, which charge more for shipping. Which perhaps explains the higher quoted price, at least in some countries.

Last edited:
Ah, that stinks.

I also got quoted 10,000 yen for shipping from the Tadakoro web shop, so it might be their standard shipping charge to North America.

Ah, that stinks.

I also got quoted 10,000 yen for shipping from the Tadakoro web shop, so it might be their standard shipping charge to North America.
My friend in Macau also got quoted 10000 yen for shipping, I guess it's more of a place holder than real fee, at least I hope so.

Good to know that. I just emailed Michiko checking how much will shipping cost for one knife to the US. I'll post it here once she get back to me on the cost

I'm actually getting close to buy one, just not sure which steel, is all his blades by Nakagawa? I'm thinking ginsan since I never used one.

I'm actually getting close to buy one, just not sure which steel, is all his blades by Nakagawa? I'm thinking ginsan since I never used one.
Difficult choice and comes down to your needs and preferences, but his ginsan is as good as any out there, great on the stones and keeps sharp for a good time - basically very similar to white 2.

Here's a 210 W2 mirror finish Gyuto I've just received. Very nice f&f, not the tallest knife as I didn't specify any changes.

I also have for the store

300mm Yanagiba, mirror W2
300mm Kiritsuke Yanagiba, honkasumi G3
210mm Kiritsuke, honkasumi W1
180mm kiritsuke Santoku, mirror G3

Attachments

• IMG20220821084543.jpg
    IMG20220821084543.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Here's a 210 W2 mirror finish Gyuto I've just received. Very nice f&f, not the tallest knife as I didn't specify any changes.

Very nice blade! I'm curious how it performs.

Yes, they get their blades from Nakagawa. I just got a quote for a ginsan gyuto 210mm with extra height for 40700 yen and 3650 shipping; the extra height is free but will need to wait a longer in production.
This is really tempting. Prices are really good given how much everything else has gone up. Did they give you a general idea of how long the wait might be for a more customized order?

Thinking I’m going to go for W1 or Ginsan with some extra height

This is really tempting. Prices are really good given how much everything else has gone up. Did they give you a general idea of how long the wait might be for a more customized order?

Thinking I’m going to go for W1 or Ginsan with some extra height
For the a custom size gyuto which I asked for extra height of 48mm and true blade length of 210mm will take around 100 - 130 days for it to be delivered.

I also ask for an Sujihiki Ginsan 270mm without any specific specs, those they have 3 in stock and could by shipped within a week.

Thanks for sharing. I’d love to see more pics. Especially of the mirror finished knives.

For the a custom size gyuto which I asked for extra height of 48mm and true blade length of 210mm will take around 100 - 130 days for it to be delivered.

I also ask for an Sujihiki Ginsan 270mm without any specific specs, those they have 3 in stock and could by shipped within a week.
I’m also looking at ordering a custom height and length. Do you know what the stock height was? I’m wondering how much taller/longer I can request a knife without additional charges applying. Some of the questions I’m asking get lost in translation.

Last edited:
Back