Buying first Gyuto today. Tanaka Ginsan/blue2, Waiku, or something more laserish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had Wakuis and Tanaka, excellent knives. Have no experience with Yoshikane but would be open and curious to try one.

Oh, btw, I had a 240ish Kato WH. It never clicked with me and I’d prefer Wakui or Tanaka over that Kato WH any time. It all comes down to personal taste and preferences. Some knives you find amazing, some you won’t like at all, even those praised by the majority on the forums... That’s life!

EDIT: from the 3 above (Wakui, Tanaka, Yoshi) I’d choose the 1 which suits my preferences best, especially height at the heel and weight/balance (be careful when comparing the weights when different handle materials are used; if Tanaka comes with ebony and any other knife with ho-wood, a comparison is impossible)...

Last edited:
I should honestly be more skeptical of just about everything on reddit.

Anyways I just bit the bullet and ordered! Yoshikane Amekiri SKD Gyuto 240mm Stainless Clad Nashiji Finish

Really wish I could have bought a saya with it buy it's sold out... I know it says he won't sell them separately, but anybody know if given the fact that I've bought a knife he'll sell it after the fact? I live in NYC and could swing by...?

I'm was/am also extremely tempted by:WTS - Tanaka Blue 2 Nashiji 270mm gyuto

but I had too many questions and didn't want to miss the black friday sale. Not a mistake.... right?
It’s never a mistake to get started making your own experiences. Reading might be helpful but trying is the real thing! Congrats! First hurdle taken - now use it and we will all be happy to read your thoughts and maybe even see some pics.

You win the internet for today! Great choice among many good ones.

Suggest you contact James, re saya. He's great to work with, would not be surprised if he will back order one for you.

You win the internet for today! Great choice among many good ones.

Suggest you contact James, re saya. He's great to work with, would not be surprised if he will back order one for you.
Yess and will do! What's the best way to get in touch? The contact form on the website?

The OP just scored a great knife - enjoy it.

I'm mad at myself for waiting so long to try a Yoshikane.

Back