Buying my first carbon steel knife – recommendation please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpy

Reaction score
I like cooking, I like knives and sharpening, and since I only have dull SS knives in the kitchen (that I can't get sharp for the love of me..maybe 1000 grit isn't coarse enough?..or maybe I just have to work on my technique a bit more ;D) I decided to finally get myself a carbon steel knife.

Here's the questionnaire:
-----------------------------
EU – it's important for me to buy from a site that ships from EU countries to avoid the custom fees and import taxes. I would appreciate any recommendations on reputable EU sellers

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I prefer Japanese handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I'm really not sure about the size, nore how to decide on it? The knife I'm using now is a bit less than 180 mm. Open to suggestions

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no):
Don't want another ss blade. I don't mind if ss is used as the outer layers of the blade (hope this made sense)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
120 EUR

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing/chopping/mincing vegetables and slicing meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Plain ss kitchen knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push-cut, chop, rock, slice, walking.. Is chopping a no-no with carbon steel blades?

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Easier to sharpen, I just want a sharp blade

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I don't really care for the aesthetics.... although I do prefer wooden handles, and I don't mind special finishes although they certainly aren't a must

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I guess it would be nice if the knife is well balanced, has a wooden handle

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Since I do a lot of vegetable preparation, it would be nice if the knife had better food release

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Doesn't matter, I enjoy sharpening

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, I'm deciding on a coarser stone. Currently I have a 1000/3000 combo stone
---------------------------------

Now since this would be my first non-SS knife and it would probably take getting used to handling the knife (properly taking care of it, learning sharpening on it, I might chip the blade when using it, etc..) I am aiming for a not so expensive one.

And I would greatly appreciate you guys(as in guys and gals) helping me chose the right one.
I already did some search on the internet and found a knife I like (specs and visualy) – this one: https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-eden-kanso-aogami-santoku-18-cm.htm
What do you guys think about it? Appropriate for a beginner? As far as I've researched blue steel might be better for me, as a beginner, since it's a bit less brittle and more rust proof?

Any and all advice appreciated!
Thanks!

I don’t have a suggestion on specific knives that meet your criteria but I suspect you haven’t gotten responses because this sub forum doesn’t get as much traffic as the main one. Is there a way for you to move your question to the main one?

In general, I wouldn’t worry too much about the core steel. All the popular Japanese ones are easier to sharpen well than generic western stainless. White and blue steels are both easy to sharpen and not so hard to avoid rust if you wipe them down periodically and clean and dry them immediately after use. When they patina they are a bit more stable too. And of course that’s just the core steel. The cladding could be stainless if you want lower maintenance.

Last edited:
I would check the following: japanesenaturalstones, CleanCut, dictum, and japan-messer-shop to see if you find something you like. Do you want reactive cladding or stainless cladding (the latter might be easier for you since it’s your first carbon knife)?
Another alternative is to make a ’want to buy’ post in the ’buy sell trade’ section if you don’t mind buying second hand stuff! Many members have loads of good blades just waiting to go to a new home. [emoji16]

Back