Buying my first Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchCook

Reaction score
I hope to get some advice about a Santoku im about to order. Im sure some people here know if this knife is as good as i hope it is.
If all goes well, im soon the proud owner of this beauty. I know the package is not looking great, but i assure you that Pyrex is a very famous brand in my country. They make good stuff!
So unless anyone has any negative experiences with this type of knife, ill order it soon.
What do yall think?

61wqjLXrtQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like a pretty generic stamped stainless steel knife. I picked up a wustoff knife like that years ago for $15 USD and hated it. Basically no grind at all and same thickness from spine down all the way down to a high angle edge, gummy stainless steel that can't take or hold a usable edge, etc. What's the price? There are probably a lot of options in that range. I personally think Ikea knives offer great value at this level.

OP are you a troll?

I know its not the most expensive knife with the best steel, but i see it like buying my first car. Practice with a cheaper version, before moving on to the expensive stuff. Not the worlds end if it gets damaged. It will be good to learn pushcutting a bit better, i hope.
Of course i always avoid chinese branded knives. I do have some standards.

Looks like a pretty generic stamped stainless steel knife. I picked up a wustoff knife like that years ago for $15 USD and hated it. Basically no grind at all and same thickness from spine down all the way down to a high angle edge, gummy stainless steel that can't take or hold a usable edge, etc. What's the price? There are probably a lot of options in that range. I personally think Ikea knives offer great value at this level.
Im sure its not an awsome knife. But its really well priced. It might be the cheapest santoku with a western brand that ive seen so far. 7,99.
Its more to discover if the santoku shape works out for me before i commit to a japanese brand.

Sure they do make good stuff, i.e. baking dishes, but no knives.
Better open a new thread using this questionnaire, and you may get serious advice.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/
Its the first time i see a knive of pyrex, but it made me curious. I hope it will get me familiar with the blade shape. I thought maybe there would be more people that encounteted these.
All the products of pyrex that i already own are great, so i thought why not give it a try

Im sure its not an awsome knife. But its really well priced. It might be the cheapest santoku with a western brand that ive seen so far. 7,99.
Its more to discover if the santoku shape works out for me before i commit to a japanese brand.

Might be hard to learn much from the knife if it doesn't have a usable edge. $7.99 is very cheap but if it's unusable, it's just money wasted.

I’m Dutch too. Better to fill out the questionnaire as benuser suggests.

Agree that spending 8 euro on a knife is a waste if you end up not using it. Chances are that will happen. For that kind of money (around 12 euro usually) I’d rather get a Robert Herder small carbon petty knife and see for yourself what a really thin knife can do.

[QUOTE="DutchCook, post: 746340, member: 46210]
Of course i always avoid chinese branded knives. I do have some standards.
[/QUOTE]
Dude, I’ve seen better Chinese-branded knives than this. Just because it’s Chinese means it’s sh1t. They make decent quality stuff if you know where to find them.

This looks like the $2 knife I bought from Daiso to be honest. And not a good one.

Maybe it would make more sense to try to score a cheap beater off BST. A few posts more and you will be able to start a WTB thread. Getting an $8 knife will hardly help you to make an informed decision as it will be most likely too far from decently performing knife.

Any chance of your budget allowing something from Victorinox, Zwilling or Wüsthof? More expensive but excellent IMO as a first buy/beater.

Back