Buying two of the same knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying hippo

Reaction score
Has anyone liked a knife so much they bought another, or two, of the same kind? Same maker, line, and length? If so what was it?

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.:)

Mazaki 240 Gyuto from K&S x 2
Kurosaki 240 Gyuto SG2 from K&S x 2
Salem Straub customs x 8 :eek: all pretty similar
Spyderco Sage 1 x 3 favourite folding knife.

2 TF Nashiji 210 gyutos, although slightly different spec..... with and without machi. I sold the no machi version

Spyderco Sage 1 x 3 favourite folding knife.

I'm new to kitchen knives so nothing doubled up yet, but if we are doing pocket folders:
Kershaw skyline x 4 (2 were gifts and one got lost to TSA when I forgot to take it out of my backpack before going to the airport)
Large Regular Sebenza x 2

Gengetsu, 2 stainless stainless 240, 1 carbon stainless 240, 1 carbon stainless 270. And the suji. I heart Gengetsu.

I think the rest are singles.

Yeah... it has happened ;-)

Fuji for one...

Last edited:
No doubles of Japanese knives, at least not exact same lengths. But I am guilty of this in regards to vintage knives. I have three 10" Forgecraft chef knives. I sold two boning knives but I still own about 7 more. Along with a bunch of slicers and bull noses and paring knives. I use them for practicing grinding, sharpening, thinning, handle making. At one point I had three of the same vintage veggie cleaver because I had a lucky streak on eBay and won three auctions in one day instead of the usual robbed at the last second.

3 identical shigs but a couple were ‘late night buys’ if ya catch my drift. And mazaki- forget about it. Like 12 and at least 6 were dups. One dies and another climbs in behind it.

I'm surprised we haven't come up with a name for our problem

In the guitar world, we call it GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Hmmmm ....

Practical redundancy
Consumptive preparation
Skill preservation

Guitars don’t diminish as they are used. Only strings and frets.
Knives shrink as they are sharpened, so we really have to prepare for that consumption, don’t we!?

Because handmade knives are all a little different, I see the logic of buying two of the same knife to choose a favorite. I just did that myself.

Oddly enough, no doubles in exact same length.
I have several Fujiyama, Shigefusa, Kato, etc., but zero exact duplicates.

Back