Càido/cleaver questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd guess that it's because their language is monosyllabic.
Yes, kind of. The name is two words. Nam 南 southern, Viet 越 tribe(s) or ethnic groups of southern China. Early name was written as Nam Viet...and more recently as Viet Nam, or just merged as Vietnam.

Still, convention is to merge names...people do not generally write Bei Jing, Tai Wan, or Kyo To. How about Hong Kong (since 1926) though? Conventions need not define all cases, and Viet Nam is common (Cộng hòa Xã hội chủ nghĩa Việt Nam).

Yes, kind of. The name is two words. Nam 南 southern, Viet 越 tribe(s) or ethnic groups of southern China. Early name was written as Nam Viet...and more recently as Viet Nam, or just merged as Vietnam.

Still, convention is to merge names...people do not generally write Bei Jing, Tai Wan, or Kyo To. How about Hong Kong (since 1926) though? Conventions need not define all cases, and Viet Nam is common (Cộng hòa Xã hội chủ nghĩa Việt Nam).

Thanks!

Nice collection of Viet blades. I have never seen many of those outside Nam. As for looks, most knives in Viet Nam look like they came out of an old Soviet Union state owned factory where nobody cared if you like the fit and finish or not. Those longer, square point knives are what most Viets use instead of a Chinese style cleaver.

Yes, so I'm a bit reluctant to discuss knives used in various parts of China.

I'd think that you have more authority on the subject than I do.
I was trained by my mom, who went to culinary school in Hong Kong (and also learned some stuff from her dad, who was a notable chef from Fujian).

My understanding is the following:
1. Rich Chinese people escaped communists in China -> They left for Taiwan and Hong Kong, and brought their chefs with them
2. Rich Taiwan people escaped from Taiwan (to get their kids a better education/hide embezzled money/start a business) --> They left for Canada (mostly Vancouver) and the US, and brought their chefs with them.

Personally, I felt that food in Taiwan was more authentic Chinese than the stuff I had in China.
At the Chinese places I went to, there was a ton of MSG. The overall execution was not as good as what I tried in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vancouver, and yes--California.

Some places where different--I'd went to some high class places in Xian and Beijing as a kid.

I'd think that you have more authority on the subject than I do.
I was trained by my mom, who went to culinary school in Hong Kong (and also learned some stuff from her dad, who was a notable chef from Fujian).

My understanding is the following:
1. Rich Chinese people escaped communists in China -> They left for Taiwan and Hong Kong, and brought their chefs with them
2. Rich Taiwan people escaped from Taiwan (to get their kids a better education/hide embezzled money/start a business) --> They left for Canada (mostly Vancouver) and the US, and brought their chefs with them.

Personally, I felt that food in Taiwan was more authentic Chinese than the stuff I had in China.
At the Chinese places I went to, there was a ton of MSG. The overall execution was not as good as what I tried in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vancouver, and yes--California.

Some places where different--I'd went to some high class places in Xian and Beijing as a kid.

I have a question and maybe it doesn't belong on here...

I thought that in general, the "rich" in pre-communist China were the landowners, so if they left they would also have left their land (and therefore their wealth) behind. I realise that the land was (or would have been) acquired by the state in land reforms anyhow, but my point/ question is this; when they fled China how would they have retained their wealth and their staff?

Back