c. 3k stone recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Before I fritter away all my money on natural stones, old yanagiba that I'll never use, and other frippery... I probably actually need a new synthetic stone around 3-4k ish. I currently have the slightly beaten up 3k side of a Suehiro combi (which I like), and a Naniwa Kagayaki (which I don't).

This will mostly be used after a King 1.2, and sometimes before going to a natural stone to finish. I quite like stones that will get some mud, but nothing too soft, I quite like soakers. Though I've not used many splash and go synthetic stones tbh, so open to any suggestions. Would be keen to canvass opinion... TY!

Chosera 3K (4000)
Rika 5K (4000)

Ta! Are the brackets how you reckon they actually behave? In which case both sound potential options - but I probably don't want anything really that. Though 4k might be a good option because I'll continue to use my Suehiro.

OK, so I get it right - you are looking for a replacement for your 3000 Suehiro because it is running out? Or are you looking for something new, a stone that is different from the 3000 Suehiro, simply as a change and a new experience? And that in the 3000 - 4000 grit range ?!

If you mainly sharpen carbon steel, then the King 4000 would be an idea. It's splash & go, but you can also soak it. Very pleasant feeling, creamy, creamy and makes an edge with bite. However, it doesn't create a lot of slurry. And for stainless steels, I don't like him that much. Nonetheless, it would be worth a try, it has a very affordable price.

Another suggestion would be the Imanshi 4000, but I can't speak from my own experience, this stone is one of the next on my own list. In summary, it should also have very pleasant feeling, it should be able to handle all steels, it is splash & go, should also leave a good amount of bite, but this stone will not produce great mud either.

If you like the Suehiro, then maybe the Suehiro Rika, as suggested by others, would be an idea. Soaker, mud, good feedback, please. But it should be quite close to the 3000 Suehiro (more like a 4000), I'm afraid almost too close.

Based on your requirements, I exclude Shapton Glass, others have already suggested Naniwa Professional / Chosera, I personally don't like naniwa’s pricing policy.

Another option would be to call / email JKI and seek advice from John Broida. The Gesshin stones have a very good reputation, but I have no experience with them myself. But John should be able to recommend a suitable stone from his range based on your preferences and information. This may be a bit more expensive, but could be worthwhile in the long run.

OK, so I get it right - you are looking for a replacement for your 3000 Suehiro because it is running out? Or are you looking for something new, a stone that is different from the 3000 Suehiro, simply as a change and a new experience? And that in the 3000 - 4000 grit range ?!

If you mainly sharpen carbon steel, then the King 4000 would be an idea. It's splash & go, but you can also soak it. Very pleasant feeling, creamy, creamy and makes an edge with bite. However, it doesn't create a lot of slurry. And for stainless steels, I don't like him that much. Nonetheless, it would be worth a try, it has a very affordable price.

Another suggestion would be the Imanshi 4000, but I can't speak from my own experience, this stone is one of the next on my own list. In summary, it should also have very pleasant feeling, it should be able to handle all steels, it is splash & go, should also leave a good amount of bite, but this stone will not produce great mud either.

If you like the Suehiro, then maybe the Suehiro Rika, as suggested by others, would be an idea. Soaker, mud, good feedback, please. But it should be quite close to the 3000 Suehiro (more like a 4000), I'm afraid almost too close.

Based on your requirements, I exclude Shapton Glass, others have already suggested Naniwa Professional / Chosera, I personally don't like naniwa’s pricing policy.

Another option would be to call / email JKI and seek advice from John Broida. The Gesshin stones have a very good reputation, but I have no experience with them myself. But John should be able to recommend a suitable stone from his range based on your preferences and information. This may be a bit more expensive, but could be worthwhile in the long run.

So... The 3k side of my combi is not at the end yet, but it's not massive, and a bit beaten up. And I seem to have fallen into a 'job' which means that I sharpen knives basically every day, and I find a synthetic 3k ish stone is quite good as a general finishing stone.

I wouldn't be averse to getting a full size stone that's the same as the 3k part of my combi, but I'm actually not sure what it is: Stone ID Help . Though after googling the Ouka 3k is it a very similar colour to my stone:

IMG_0980.JPG

Thank you (and everyone else) for these suggestions. I'll have a read up about them, but I think either a Rika or Ouka sounds like it might be the one.

I'm pretty sure that your stone is a Suehiro (probably Cerax) combination stone. In another thread here someone had asked Suehiro by email whether there was a difference between the 3000 Cerax and the Ouka 3000 and it turned out that both series are the same stone. So you can't go wrong with the Ouka 3000.

I am a Chosera fan-boi!

Choseras are quite different to the Superstones (Kagayaki) at higher grits. The 3K Chosera is a competent stone. Hard... muddy... Cuts well. It is also capable of leaving a half-decent kasumi finish if you let the slurry thicken a little.

Whatever option you chose, you can hunt online... If you want to support local, @pkjames runs Knives and Stones from Sydney (I have no affiliation, other than being satisfied). He may stock the item you ultimately choose!

I am a Chosera fan-boi!

Choseras are quite different to the Superstones (Kagayaki) at higher grits. The 3K Chosera is a competent stone. Hard... muddy... Cuts well. It is also capable of leaving a half-decent kasumi finish if you let the slurry thicken a little.

Whatever option you chose, you can hunt online... If you want to support local, @pkjames runs Knives and Stones from Sydney (I have no affiliation, other than being satisfied). He may stock the item you ultimately choose!

Yep - I've been to and bought stuff from K&S before, and will certainly go there first if they have what I decide on :)

Even if it might work out marginally more $, it's a billion times better than having to grease the palms of the regrettable Mr Bezos. (Plus obviously great customer service, expert advice, &c. &c.)

I'm pretty sure that your stone is a Suehiro (probably Cerax) combination stone. In another thread here someone had asked Suehiro by email whether there was a difference between the 3000 Cerax and the Ouka 3000 and it turned out that both series are the same stone. So you can't go wrong with the Ouka 3000.

FWIW, Cerax 5050 and the Rika are the same thing as well

Latest posts

Back