Other Cajun Anduille

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
Andouille sausage is originally from France, where it contains chitterlings and tripe. This version is from Louisiana and does not contain innards, but is spiced very strongly. In traditional Cajun and Creole cuisine, Andouille is used in gumbo. But it also is nice fried like a Bratwurst, or just sliced and used as a cold cut. Think of it as Chorizo on steroids, with a much more complex flavour profile.

There are approximately as many recipes for Andouille as there are butchers, so feel free to vary the spices. The mandatory bits are garlic, thyme, red wine, and lots of chilli and/or pepper. Everything else is open to interpretation. If you like strongly-spiced and flavourful sausages, this should hit the spot. You can use other meats; wild boar, lamb, goat, or deer all work—just keep the fat content at no less than 30%, and make sure to use a very coarse grind.

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

Ingredients per kilogram of meat:
  • 700 g Pork shoulder
  • 300 g Pork belly
  • 16 g Salt
  • 2 g Instacure #1
  • 20 g Mild powder
  • 30 g Fresh garlic, finely chopped
  • 2.5 g Onion powder
  • 1.5 g Cayenne pepper
  • 2 g Chilli flakes
  • 2 g Ground black pepper
  • 6 g Smoked hot paprika
  • 0.75 g Ground cloves
  • 0.3 g Allspice
  • 2 g Thyme
  • 1 g Ground bay leaves
  • 1 g Mace
  • 1.25 g Yellow mustard powder
  • 100 g Dry red wine
Preparation:
  1. Grind one-third of the meat through an 8 mm plate, and the remainder through a 15 mm plate.
  2. Add the spices and the ice-cold wine and mix with a stand mixer until you a get a farce that is very sticky.
  3. Fill into 30-32 calibre hog casing.
  4. Let dry for two hours at room temperature, then mature the sausage overnight in the fridge.
  5. The next day, remove the sausage from the fridge and allow to reach room temperature (about two hours).
  6. Cold-smoke for five hours.
  7. Increase the temperature to 60 ºC (140 ºF) for three hours.
  8. Increase the temperature to 88 ºC (190 ºF) and cook the sausages until they reach a core temperature of 68 ºC (155 ºF).
  9. Turn off the heat and spray the sausages with cold water to help prevent the skin from wrinkling too much.
  10. Let the sausages rest at ambient temperature with some ventilation for three hours.
  11. Mature for two or three days in the refrigerator, then eat or vacuum-seal and freeze.

Last edited:
Looks amazing. You all ever try boudin? Or even better, boudin balls? They are fried boudin sausage. The Cajun parts of this state (Louisiana) love boudin. It is pork with rice sausage. Pretty good.

There is a seafood restaurant called Quality Seafood close to my car repair place. I drop off my car and walk over to the restaurant and eat Boudin and fresh oysters on the half shell. They also have peel and eat fresh shrimp. This is my kind of waiting for my car that I like. You spread the Boudin out on crackers and eat it. It is very good. It goes well with cold beer. Pre-covid.

Your Andouille sausage looks great. I wish I had some when I make upcoming gumbo.

Last edited:
What is mild powder?
I think I will give this a go as soon as the spring thaw comes.

And here I was looking for "Extra Strong Powder", on the assumption that if one existed ...

Well, in fact some "Extra Strong Powder" was available, but the dude selling it looked a bit sketchy, so regrettably I left without any.

Back