Calling all Shig owners

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to contradict anything tk59 said, but just to add that both have different geometries, Heiji - convex with blade road on both sides, Shigefusa - hollow-grind with convex at the edge (abut 3/8 or so). Thickness-wise, later Shigs are thinner than earlier, not sure if thickness of Heijis changed over time. The one I have seen (Heiji suji) was pretty thick and would almost certainly wedge in dense stuff like potatoes. I haven't seen a Heiji gyuto upclose, so can't comment on thickness.

M

I think my Heijis have been a bit thinner. Starting at 3mm at the spine and tapering from there. You'd think they would wedge in potatoes, but mine have not really done that. In fact, they flew so easily through everything that I immediately preferred mine to the Shig that I'd been using for a few months. They wedge only in things like sweet potatoes, but anything I've used wedges in those things (any advice?). From what I hear, even the thicker Heijis are awesome.

Not to contradict anything tk59 said, but just to add that both have different geometries, Heiji - convex with blade road on both sides, Shigefusa - hollow-grind with convex at the edge (abut 3/8 or so). Thickness-wise, later Shigs are thinner than earlier, not sure if thickness of Heijis changed over time. The one I have seen (Heiji suji) was pretty thick and would almost certainly wedge in dense stuff like potatoes. I haven't seen a Heiji gyuto upclose, so can't comment on thickness.

M
Marko, sorry for the question but what is a hollow-grind. Can you refer me to a link or smth?

A hollow grind is a concave grind. A curved bevel, angled INTO the steel.
hollow.gif

But on a Shig it is further up the blade, back by the spine.

I just want to express what I went through. I ordered a custom Shigefusa kitaeji Gyuto 255 mm via drnaka 7 months ago. The reason I chose him was because he promised that it would take 3 months. Well, it didn´t. I contacted him few days ago and got refund of my 50% deposit. When I contacted him a month ago he said that it could take some extra 3 months. I found one in Europe a brand new one with octagonal handle and better price and luckily 250 mm :) and they had the last one on stock so they shipped it the same day. I am getting it after 4 days. Have been waiting for this knife for 7 months now so I am really excited. Drnaka was always nice and helpful but I felt disappointed that this happened.

I just received a Paypal refund from drnaka for 2 Shigs that were ordered back in OCT. Reason given- Shig's inability to fill custom orders in a timely fashion.

I just received a Paypal refund from drnaka for 2 Shigs that were ordered back in OCT. Reason given- Shig's inability to fill custom orders in a timely fashion.

I am on the same boat. Got my deposit refund...same reason given in different statement. It would've been one of my top three knives. :spin chair:

i'm so glad i was able to jump on a beautiful used/rehandled Shig gyuto. i'd hate to have to deal with this. a good friend of mine just got the call from JWW about a 240, and was able to jump on it. really lucky, him.

i'm so glad i was able to jump on a beautiful used/rehandled Shig gyuto. i'd hate to have to deal with this. a good friend of mine just got the call from JWW about a 240, and was able to jump on it. really lucky, him.

What was the waiting time with JWW?

I may have just got lucky but the last one I bought off JWW around a year ago took about a week between placing the order on the web and the knife showing up in the mail. My first one might have been more like 6 months but they called and told me that up front.

New shig owner here! It'll be in the mail soon. Bought the nakiri from Curtis. Super excited because its been thinned and polished already!

Congrats ... Will receive a KU Nakiri myself one of these days (not a Shig but close lol) maybe I will thin and polish mine as well - who knows :biggrin:

I got my Shigefusa kitaeji 250 yesterday. It took just 5 days. The most beautiful knife I have ever seen. Impressed. It is test time soon. There is one more for sale and ready to ship, if you are interested, contact me. It is the web shop i bought mine which are selling. 22 cm gyto kitaeji shigefusa with octagonal handle. there is only one left.

I've been looking for a available 240 for quite some time now.
Anyone have a second hand one they are willing to let go off.

Back